Author Topic: From 2 to 3 again  (Read 7545 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: From 2 to 3 again
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2018, 18:52:28 PM »
Lovely post - yes, they certainly come into our lives for a reason, either in their part of ours. That is certainly a good legacy
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2018, 18:28:48 PM »
 That last sentence is wonderful and so true, all of our cats come into our hearts with a purpose, even if it's just to infuriate, hey, an adrenaline rush is good for the heart. Just joking, they are such complex little creatures and each wonderful in their own special way, no two are alike.

I am so pleased that you are leaving a legacy for Bella and that DD is finding her own way through the grief.

Well done Gus for helping to fill the cat shaped hole that beloved Bella left. :Luv2:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 18:16:07 PM »
I was sure I'd responded to this, gus has settled in really well. Dd has actually taught him to sit on command, which he does and actually sits for me as well.
He's become so much more confident, he ventures all over the house even into the loft room. We did have to take him to the vets due to a watery eye, not infected but our vet thinks it's due to his jaw surgery causing a bit of an obstruction where his tear ducts drain.  We just clean his eye when needed. We also think he has hay fever,  we had some bunches of flowers and his eye was so much worst but we got rid and it settled.
When we got him we were told he'd need outside access so we were going to sort out the cat flap, but after accidentally leaving the door open a few times, he's shown no interest in the outside. Asked our vet and he said maybe gus had enough of outside in his short life and feels safer inside. Other two are house cats and we're not going to force him out.  Harris has realised gus actually wants to play and the two of them sound like elephants up and down the stairs playing,  it's doing Harris good as jess refuses to play.
Jess was still not right, sleeping in bellas fav places, so we got a feliway plug in and that seems to be helping,  she's seeking us out for affection and seems happier.
Dd has come through the worst of her grief,  her Bella Teddy that we made goes to bed with her and she will talk about the good times,. she misses her so much (we all do) but we've been able to sit down and calm discuss why we had to make that decision, when we did and she does understand it was the best choice for Bella.  She's already said Christmas won't be the same and I know she's going to struggle on bellas birthday. I've said it's up to her what she does with the money I'd have spent on bellas birthday and she wants to donate it to the rescue. I think I'm going to set up a regular payment to them as bellas legacy.
Last year dh was getting frustrated with Harris as he was being a pain with Bella , but I've always said they come to us for a reason. Bella taught dd to love again, jess when I needed help, Harris to be there when dd needed him and gus to teach us to open our hearts again and that life goes on.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 07:53:58 AM »

How are things shaping up now, Girlinleeds?  Hope Gus is finding his paws, and life is adjusting into a different, but kinder rhythym.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 19:59:04 PM »
 :evillaugh: Norty Gus. :Luv: I am so glad that DD and Gus are bonding. :wow:

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 14:06:36 PM »
So dd is teaching gus to sit, he's actually doing reasonably well and at least half the time she tells him to sit he does. He also let's her pick him up and carry him, something he won't tolerate from me and dh.
Gus has started to be a bit of a monkey, trying to take food of us but I keep saying he is only young and we don't know his background so patience and a firm no/moving him away and we'll get there. He's bonded with dh really well as he was off work with him for a while, so gus sulks abit until he comes home and then cheers up again. The other day gus decided to clean jess and I must admit it didn't go down well, she barely tolerated Bella cleaning her so no way is she letting her little brother give her a lick.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 05:30:43 AM »
 ;D ;D  See?  What a difference love brings to the table.   :Luv:

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 22:06:20 PM »
Gus bus is now demanding under chin tickles, can't explain how happy that makes me, he must trust us. We were told he disliked being touched round his jaw after his accident. He's really settled in so well,  his confidence is growing as he's starting to be quite cheeky now, he is really starting to love a good cuddle up on the sofa on a night though  :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 08:56:22 AM »
      After all the shall we shan't we get him I'm so pleased we did, nobody could ever replace Bella but he'll be loved just as much           

Absolutely. 

Gus needed a home, and you didn't know it, but you needed a Gus.  Purrfick!!   ;D  Sounds like he's settling really well.  bet they'll all be glad to see your daughter though.   :) :)

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »
So there now fully introduced and apart from the old hiss things are going well. Gus bus (that's what dd calls him, Harris is haribo and jess Jessiebean) now comes and sits on the sofa on a night as well as napping in his new dog bed,  the cat ones are to small!!  Although gus is still very vocal, less then he was and I'm wondering if it's because he's settling and doesn't need constant reassurance we're still here. He happily comes to you for lots of strokes and even enjoys tickles under his chin, which we were told he disliked (he makes you stroke there by moving his head we haven't forced him). Dd is away on residential trip and the three of them are abit lost,  keep wondering around looking for her, but she's back today so they'll be happy.  After all the shall we shan't we get him I'm so pleased we did, nobody could ever replace Bella but he'll be loved just as much

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 17:43:39 PM »
SEEM TO HAVE MISSED THIS BUT WHAT A HANDSOME BOY  ;D ;D SO PLEASED THINGS SEEM TO BE GOING WELL IN THE INTROS

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 05:41:51 AM »
 :)  So good to hear.   :)

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 21:09:42 PM »
We're even starting to leave them together when were not in the room just for a short while and there doing okay

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 13:32:53 PM »
That's great news
Please spay your cat

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 22:29:02 PM »
Gus is an absolute sweetie pie, he's so laid back, he sits and waits nicely for his food, while the mad heads jump around. Gus and jess slept on the sofa together the other day, not touching but on the same sofa. Harris can't decide if he wants to play or be scared, but that's just Harris. I was concerned that he wouldn't fit but he's fit just perfectly :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 12:02:03 PM »
How are things progressing?  Bet Gus has got everyone wound round his paws by now.   :evillaugh:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 21:36:13 PM »
That's fantastic, he is beautiful and it's really good new that the others are settling down to his presence so quickly. :wow: :wow: :wow:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 19:58:56 PM »
Can't believe how well the intros are going
  How lovely. 😙

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 16:12:11 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aDMklkHqld7rbmj33
Baby steps but there getting there,  Gus is so laid back the other two don't bother him at all. 90% of the time Jess is okay with him occasional she tells him to back of with a his. Harris is very curious, but cautious think Gus' size is a bit overwhelming but they've had a good sniff of each other.
We've started allowing gus upstairs under suppervision as he's so settled. He's not chewed/scratched/broken  anything at all I'm so amazed how well behaved he is  :Luv:

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 15:51:54 PM »
Harris, jess and gus had breakfast together in the kitchen this morning with no fuss :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 13:40:45 PM »
Aww, he looks lovely, good luck with the introductions
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 13:23:22 PM »
How is Gus getting on with Harris and Jess?

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 13:00:01 PM »
What a hansum lad and how clever to have found himself such a lovely family  :briggin:

My adored Chivvy had a pin in his jaw following an argument with a car, it never caused him any trouble once he was over the initial accident.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 20:31:40 PM »
 :)  No need for haste.  Sounds so promising.   ;D

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 20:29:16 PM »
He was a good boy last night, used his litter tray and ate all his food.  Dh at home today and Harris got in the kitchen by accident, apparently he walked up to gus hissed, walked away and then came back for a sniff while gus ignored him. Jess is nervous but she always has been about changes, I think shes still missing Bella as well. She's sniffed gus under the bottom of the door but there's no rush, slow and steady

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 18:16:29 PM »
 ;D ;D  He's stunning.  Yes, I see what you mean - he is big, but he looks tall too.  What a lovely lad.  Am so pleased for you all, and hope Gus settles in very quickly - certainly looks like he will.   :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 17:58:57 PM »
Aww that is such good news

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 16:39:40 PM »
Thanks he's lovely, really chilled out, we expected him to be nervous but he's had a walk about downstairs and is laid sunbathing on the floor

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 16:32:45 PM »
Well, he's just gorgeous! Beautiful markings, quite unusual.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 16:08:51 PM »
He's got a pin in his jaw but otherwise is well, he's a big boy though, nearly 6kg, he will dwarf the other two. Dd is overjoyed but trying to be restrained so she doesn't scare him. He keeps wondering up to us all for a stroke, he currently sat in the window watching birds on the bird feeder

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 16:02:23 PM »
He was so lovely we didn't think he'd still be at the rescue, so we didn't dare tell dd before we confirmed we could have him.  Not sure if this will work but hopefully some photos, https://photos.app.goo.gl/CtrYJsy3vab35LQk2

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 15:25:08 PM »
 :wow: :wow: :wow:  She doesn't know Gus was coming?!!   Hee hee hee - that's just fab.  Her face will be a picture of delight.   ;D

PS:  I hope that Gus has fully recovered from his poor start to life and is ready to embrace things to the full again.  Poor little sossuj.

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 15:22:48 PM »
Need to figure out how to post pics,  just picking up dd from school, big surprise for her when she gets home

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 15:21:17 PM »
Sounds wonderful but we need pictures!

Lordy Lord - yes - piccies please!!   :wow: :wow: :Luv:   I'm sure Bella would approve.

And I have to say, if it helps, we adopted our last four cats within days of losing beloved companions. 

I admit to feeling rather uncomfortable about it too, in some respects, but then my thinking gradually shifted.

It's not a case of "replacement" - it's about keeping your hearts and your doors open to those who need the love and the care you can give.

:pic sneek:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 14:46:51 PM »
Sounds wonderful but we need pictures!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
From 2 to 3 again
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 14:38:22 PM »
We went to the rescue on Saturday to donate lots of dreamies and whilst there met and fell in love with a huge chunk of a cat called Gus. A 1 year old who'd been involved in a rta. Even dh really liked him, we've spent the weekend discussing him and going backwards and forwards about adding a third cat, so soon after the loss of Bella.
Gus is currently exploring the kitchen, Harris and jess are sat at the bottom of the kitchen door sniffing him through the gap at the bottom. It's the first time since Bella we've all fallen for the same cat, Jess was my pick and Harris dhs.
Fingers crossed for an easy integration

Link to CatChat