Author Topic: Microchip cat flaps  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Microchip cat flaps
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 07:37:34 AM »
He's a little divvil, that Sid.  :evillaugh: :Luv: You try not to get vexed, don't you?. 

We always loved finding Fred curled up somewhere, but Ted is just a bit of a bovver boy.

Neither of them come as frequently now, though Fred sometimes pops in for a bit of brekfuss and a spot of narna kicking - less so now that they have their own at home of course.   ;)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 07:23:33 AM »
Thanks everyone they sound just the job ;D Even Ted could not get in :)

At the moment have the bin in front of the flap. Thankfully Archie is onl;y going out for short strolls at the moment due to winter. However, I left the back door open Sunday when I cleaned the car. Went to bedroom later to find Sid curled up on the bed :Luv: :evillaugh:

Yesterday he managed to someone squeeze round the bin when it was moved slightly :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 06:56:37 AM »
That's the same as ours - you just set the flap to "learn" mode, and then the next cat to go up to it and put their head up to the "reader" gets their chip scanned.  We had bother with Malt though because bless her heart, no matter how much she tried the flap wouldn't work for her.  Turns out her chip had failed, and so we had to get her chipped again.  No wonder the gurlies hate us trying to pick them up- they must've been to the vet no fewer than 5 occasions by the time we'd had them 4 months.  They went for their initial kitten check, when our vet suggested he leave their vacs until the next visit.  Then we had the two vaccination visits, then there was their neutering, and then Malt had to go back for the re-chip.  :innocent: :innocent:

Lyn, from the sounds of it, the one you would need is the dualscan flap.  We have that one on our inner cat flap which leads into the porch, and we have one of the larger pet door ones on the front door (from when we had Ross, who was a beefy boy, bless him.   :Luv:)

We got the dualscan flap when we had Tinks and then got Moray, as we didn't want Moray going out, though Tinks needed to come and go freely.

Funny though - got up this morning to find Barley hissing at the inner flap, and lo and behold - there was Norty Ted, sitting in the no-man's land between flaps, looking a little bemused.   :shify:   Sometimes, when Barley slinks through the flap (as she does) the outer flap doesn't always close properly, which means it can be pushed open by an enquiring nose.  Thankfully, the inner flap has no such problem, hence he couldn't get any further (much to Malt's relief).  Sureflap will address the problem if you need it, but thankfully it doesn't happen to us that often, and Ted was mannerly enough to leave when OH opened the door for him.    :-: :-:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:35:54 AM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 20:06:09 PM »
The one we have automatically registers any cat that goes through it (once we have 'asked' it to do so), which is good as there is no way we could hold Sky. I am very happy with ours but wish we had got one that allows us to let only one cat out.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 13:01:21 PM »
I thought it was brilliant and it stopped the visitors from coming in, the ginger, un neutered tom, and the others eating us out of house and home, sadly I couldn't get it to work on Bob's chip, I don't think there is anything wrong with her chip, just that she doesn't like being held and I couldn't get her to stay still for long enough for the sensor to register it.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:08:17 AM »
Thank you Sue, that is a great help ;D

Did not realise that neutered cats can have a pungent spray :shy:

It is so sad and not an easy decision to come to. Some days we do not get a visit from Sid and others he comes and goes including during the night
. He is such a delight but cannot go on like this :(

Very much think I will have to go for one for a micro chipped sure flap :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 07:40:28 AM »
Alison. Am sorry to hear this.  Sadly, the urine of neutered cats can be as pungent as un-neutered.  Norty sid and poor archie.  As to micro hip flaps I love em. Wouldnt be without them now.  I think Ive said before, I could work for Sureflap, as I love their products.  They make standard and large flaps, dualscans (keep one cat in while others go out) and even have a new one which comes with a modem and works with an App on your phone so you can track your cat's comings and goings.  They're a fair bit pricier than your standard flap nut worth every penny in my experience.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Microchip cat flaps
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 00:00:34 AM »
Just wondered what people experience of these are :shify:

I am very sad to say the delightful Sid, neighbours cat has started coming in over the last two weeks and spraying everywhere :( The kitchen shelf, a corner of my bedroom, the seatee in several places and the lounge carpet.

I will try and have a word with the owners as I thought he was neutered as the spray really pongs instantly.

I am loathe to do this as love him to bits but Archie is not happy and has already started weeing over the top of his tray again :(

Link to CatChat