Author Topic: Cystitis need help  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
Re: Cystitis need help
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 15:44:57 PM »
Lottie had cystitis 6/7 times, it was so bad she quickly went to passing clots of blood and the last couple of lots lasted a month. Each time the vet gave her some cystease for 2/3 weeks and ABs.  After it had occurred three times vet suggested taking a urine sample and xray to rule out crystals/stones/infection/cancer. They came back clear, so at that point we could be sure it was stress related/unexplained cystitis. I bought Feliway diffusers which made no difference to her but for some it really helps. In the end I bought some Cystease online and put her constantly on them, it lines the bladder and reduces irritation.  I have to admit I've never taken her off a maintenance dose (approx five a week), the vet knows this and doesn't have a problem with it.

If it keeps reoccurring then, I'd say you do have to exclude other conditions (as cystease alone won't be enough for some). Also, try Feliway if it's stress related, it might help.  It's not easy going through this, but somehow we got through the other end and Lottie has gone six years without a re-occurence - at 18 she does have other health problems but nothing that relates to the bladder or cystease.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »
Are they sure it is stress related? Has he been checked for stones? Sky kept having cystitis and when she was eventually xrayed she had bladder stones which needed removing.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 10:16:18 AM »
Callie gets this off and on and it is always due to stress when a local cat is coming round and sitting outside their window so she can see it.
I find I only need a couple of dozes of metacam to stop it now and give it at the first sign of her in the tray a lot. I also use feliway friends and I try and make sure the intruder cat is kept away from where she can see it.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 05:42:52 AM »

I feel like I'm an old hand at this now. We've got two of ours suffer from it on and off mainly due to pecking order in multicat household.  Bob and Dinah.  Always more worried about Bob as dangerous if a boy gets blocked. 

First port of call always is metacam as it's so uncomfortable and get urine tested if doesn't seem to be stress related. 

Pet remedy diffusers upstairs and downstairs, cystophan twice a day initially but continue with 1 capsule a day after things settle down.

Lay off dry food and add a little water to wet food. Lately advised to give a strong smelling catnip toy as distraction which went down well with Dinah.

Vet suggested Hills urinary wet food but neither Bob nor Dinah would eat it.

I wish you best of luck.  It's a frustrating condition  :hug: :hug:

Offline Allybean

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Salem and Chiana
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
We've got feliway and were going to pick up new refill for pet remedy diffuser

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »
I have had really good results with Zylkene, Amazon is the cheapest place to find it, have you tried Feliway or other diffusers? Only thing I can suggest.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Allybean

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »
That's the thing he's shown no sign of stress no new cats we've got the cystophan capsules that the vet suggested we were literally saying couple of days ago how relaxed he was looking and acting

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
does he have anything for the stress, one of mine had a bout of it when we introduced a new cat and we started feeding royal canin calm and she has been fine since I know others have had good results with zyklene (sp?) and cystese was also recommended to me - what diet his he one, I assume wet?

Offline Allybean

• Kitten
Cystitis need help
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 21:31:21 PM »
My Salem has had a spate of cystitis these past few months we've been racking our brains to work out what's been him so stressed but we seriously can't think of anything the only thing we can think of is he was put on a diet to lose weight I've had experience dealing with cats with cystitis in past but I'm absolutely flumaxed I did start a new job in October but these problems started in September before I even got offered the new job can anyone give any advice what so ever?

Link to CatChat