Author Topic: Help needed for young Ragdoll slowly going blind Cheshire area, but will consider out of area.  (Read 13280 times)

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Binde
I know it exceeded my expectations by a long shot!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Oh Deb - so soon!  That's excellent.   :wow:

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
You are all brilliant and I will keep you posted.  She is due to be picked up this Saturday, what a great difference her life will be with someone who will understand and adore her. xxx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
That's great news
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Aw Deb - am so pleased to hear this.  Such good news for Neve.  I have everything firmly crossed that this will work out for everyone concerned.  Gentle snoozles to the lovely Neve from me, Moray, Malt & Barley.  xxxx

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
I know relief all round, no more so than for Neve! xxx

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Wonderful news Deb, :Luv: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
Good news, we are back on again with the potential carer.  She is going to do a payment plan situation either herself or try and get discounted treatment for any large amount of treatment done from vet friends.  She is an ideal candidate for this little cat having experienced looking after a family member's ragdoll who is also blind.  Everything is perfect about her.  She came to the conclusion you both came to and I am so happy.  She will be finalising the details tomorrow, so hopefully nothing will deter her now.  This is such a hard situation, but she is now very determined.

Will keep you all posted.

xxx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Deb if all else fails give me a shout we have wonderful vets and have a blind 2yo although he knows no difference and climbs trees and comes for walks in the woods he is well chaperoned though and a 13 yo tortie who had her eye removed 3 weeks ago and has limited sight in the other but we don't move furniture and having had a boy go blind at 18, he moved house with us and we had the same set up apart from stairs he soon mastered those and died at 21

Some vets have payment accounts that can be paid up for treatments - our vets do and some folk use it to keep their pets
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I wonder if it would be worth having another discussion with the potential adopter, Deb?

Even if this little girl does completely lose her sight, she could still have a very good quality of life as an indoor cat. 

Provided basic care was taken, and no changes of furniture etc, she would adapt very well.  Also, if the carer was to put, say, £15 per month away, by the end of a year she'd have £150 towards the possible cost of an op, and she may be able to come to an arrangement with her usual vet about instalment payments.  An op may not be needed for a couple of years, which would give the adopter an opportunity to put some more cash away.

I realise it may just be a bit too much responsibility for a potential Adopter, and that whoever takes this little beauty needs to be 100% committed, but I'm sure there will be someone out there who would make a great new Cat Slave for her.

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
Thanks and you are right -  I have yet to fail, brave words, but I have to believe that. x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
If anyone can get her a home, Deb, you will.   :hug:  Poor little soul.  And if any cat needed a Forever Home, she's one of them.

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
I know.  The cost is from the genetic eye if it worsens then would have to be taken out £200 approx. then if the cataracts could be cleared - that would be the slightly bigger cost.  It is all what if - especially the genetic eye because it could improve with age.  Unfortunately it is best to be honest about the worst case scenario, but this will limit the possibility of her being rehomed.  I won't give up, never, to get her the right home!

Thanks everyone.

Deb

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
That's a shame, but as it would be unlikely that any adopter would get insurance cover for an existing condition, and the expense could be considerable.   Such a pity.

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
I am a little worried.  Possible operations down the line (just a couple) on her eyes have been mentioned and this may have put the present person off because of the cost!  Will reinstate the post if she gets turned down.  So sad.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
How did the check go? :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I so hope this comes good for Neve and her potential new Mum.   :)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Everything crossed that new Mum sails through the vetting process and this lovely girl finds her furever home. :Luv: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
Thanks for keeping in touch all of you.  A prospective, and suitable, new Mum has turned up and will be going through the vetting process today - if all goes well Neve will have a forever home.  However, until I get the final confirmation that all has gone well, I will still keep her in your radars.

Thanks so far, and please keep everything crossed for her.

xx

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
She is gorgeous, but I already have 5 and three Lodgers belonging to Gill (sneakiefeline) otherwise I would be there like a shot, my Merlin is a bully, so not suitable at all. He would take gross advantage of her failing sight to bop her. Sorry. I am sure that this beautiful girl will soon find a forever home that can appreciate her.

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
Thank you again for your support and also Sue, and she is a real beauty. xxx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
A Chocolate Seale Pointe like our late Minmin she is gorgeous x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Wow.  She's a little stunner!    Beautiful little lady.    :Luv:

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
Dear All

Photos are now attached of Neve.  Please see initial message now.

Thanks again.

Deb

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
Thanks the support helps enormously and I have never failed in rehoming, so I will just carry on. Take care Deb x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Debs, I really hope this lovely little lass gets a good home.

I wish I were in a position to offer, but our three are all outdoors, and two of them are a bit uncertain socially.  I do however have everything crossed she can be found a loving and secure forever home very very soon. 

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
Dear Liz

What can I say, but you are amazing and you added to my list of complete heros' and angels'.

Thanks for responding.

Deb

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
I have a lot of lifes rejects in my family who would take on a three legged feral who hates people oh that would be us and then come home with 3 as one was her sister and the sisters son. a diabetic who would be dead in 3 months oh that would be ius and she went on for another 2 years and 3 months, another diabetic was a PTS case he is now my Darling Donald wheres your trousers, Bengals that no one would touch - we have an F2 who was rescued from awful conditions she is now coming on but none of the human handling apart from vets visits and she brought up 4 feral kittens and they love us and then her pal Molly Bengal loud and proud and could shatter glass on a good day :)

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
Many thanks.  I am so glad you have had great experiences.   I agree there may be flexibility with companion cats, given circumstances which can be discussed with the sanctuary.  My cat had Peaches, another rescue as company and that worked very well especially when she cleaned his face for him!

I am keeping everything crossed we come up with the right forever home.

Thanks for replying! x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Deb I have a blind 2yo Finn he has no idea he is any different to my others and loves company of other cats they keep him occupied and he is allowed out but always supervised by me or the other cats who keep him where they want him.  We also have Xian who at 13 has had one eye removed and is nearlhy blind in the other and she is now back in general population and is back to being my feisty feral lady currently on her heatpad in her new bed, they can and do adapt very well

I have one raggie here a rescue he is a darling boy and we found that company wether feline, dog or cat they do need company 24/7

Offline Deb Bell

• Adult Cat
Dear All
I feel like I have returned home when I come on this website.  A young 4 month old Ragdoll in a sanctuary in Cheshire had a waitlist for her until a genetic blindness condition became apparent alongside cataracts in her other eye - and the waitlist fell away instantly.  The sanctuary absolutely love her and want me to assist in finding her forever home.  I have seen her and she is so beautiful - at the time, a month ago, I was in despair that she had a waitlist based on her being a ragdoll and all the moggies in the home had no people wanting them.  Now with her change in condition, most of the others have been rehomed and she has been left on the shelf.  She is absolutely stunning and a perfect nature.  She is becoming aware something is wrong so is a little nervous if someone inadvertently touches her without warning.  I rehomed a blind cat from this sanctuary and can assure you they are fantastic cats to have - no trouble and very easy to take care of.  Happy to give tips.  Would recommend she may be in a home where she is the only cat and only let out under supervision, otherwise whoever can take her is going to have a perfect companion.  The usual checks will apply.
Please get in touch if you are a serious contender or know of someone who would be!  My no. is 077601 28595. Photos below.
Thanks my friends.
Deb
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 22:10:03 PM by Deb Bell »

Link to CatChat