Author Topic: British short hairs  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: British short hairs
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 17:12:50 PM »
What colour is she?
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline jiu

• Kitten
  • Slave to: jojo
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 13:34:25 PM »
I am also looking for some unique names for my 2 week old kitten, i just bought her and really excited. I found some amazing articles regarding caring of cats

Link removed by moderator
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 14:54:54 PM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 07:43:27 AM »
What name have you decided on for your new baby? 

If you're getting an opportunity to visit your new furkid in advance of bringing him home, Id suggest taking with you a few pieces of cloth, so you can rub them over your new kitten, then take them home, so your boys get used to the new scent in advance.  Similarly, rub them over with a cloth and leave it with newboy.  Thatw ay they get a chance to familiarise the scent in their world, and may find it less disconcerting when Newboy arrives home.

Generally with 3 cats, you stand a good chance of choosing a personality that will match with one or other of your cats, and as you seem to have "one of each" at the moment, Newboy should gravitate to one of them if not both of them. 

Moray was horrified when he first met the girls - they were hiss-spits and ill mannered ruffians from the wrong side of the tracks.  He spat and hissed a fair old bit himself, but he was also intrigued by them, as he's basically a very social cat (when he's not busy sizing up his neighbourhood).  It didn't take long at all for them to take to Moray, and him to them.  The trouble has been in getting them to take to human contact, though they're much much better than they were.  At least you shouldn't have that difficulty with yours.   :)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 22:38:46 PM »
It may be too large, but if you look at the bottom of the post you will see 'choose file', you open up pics there, but there is far better guidance in the newbies bit and it tells you how to do it, jpeg size etc.

I have no experience of British Shorthairs, but just in general, I have always neutered as early as possible, including Norwegian Forest Cats and Maine Coons and I don't honestly think that with proper nutrition that early neutering causes smaller cats. Saying that, my last cat was neutered at approx four and a half as he was a stray and he is a huge moggy at 6.2 kilos with a huge head. Swings and roundabouts and there are a lot of health benefits re:cancers that early neutering helps prevent. He is also the problematic one at introductions to other cats, in particular my half NFC, Emo. One day he will give her hell, she was here was before him, the next............

Pirate and a Pippin got into the act as well, sorry it's a bit out of focus. ;)

BTW, Emo is the big black one, 5.2 K, Pippa is the blurry muted silver tabby, Pirate is the one with one ear, one working eye and a wonky tail, congenital deformities, and Merlin is actually the biggest at 6.2 K. The wonders of perspective, I also have a lovely black tortie and white girl called Bob, don't ask. :naughty:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 22:44:01 PM by Judecat (Paula), Reason: Explanation »

Offline Carice17

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Harley and Oscar
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 17:30:20 PM »
How do I upload a picture? It won't let me x

Offline Carice17

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 17:26:50 PM »
Maybe we should think about having them neutered then? Harley is the younger brother he's very boisterous and always wanting to play! Oscar is a couple of weeks older he's much more laid back very chilled and not as loving! Iv already put a deposit on the kitten as she only had three in the litter and they are lilac British short hairs ( I have two blues) so I hope his personality is ok and good for my two boys! He's only a week old and will be ready 23rd of December!  Thankyou for your help' i will take all your advice on bored.  :thanks:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 15:48:13 PM »
Hi there.  Welcome to Purrs.   :welcome:  I think three neutered males should be just fine together, but I wouldn't want three unneutereds of any sex.

They're prone to health issues and they are much more pungent - even females.  plus you have the problems of dealing with unadulterated hormones and the drive to find top totty.  Always a worry if you have indoor cats that then become intent on being outdoor cats.

Unless you want to breed, I'd think seriously about leaving them too long.  It's also generally easier to neuter younger cats than it is to neuter older cats, as they bounce back more readily.

In terms of choosing your third cat to join the Band of Brothers, I would say more important than gender is their personality. 

What personality types have you now?  If you have two boisterous boys, then it may be better to pick another kitten which would stand up to rough and tumble quite well - a quieter kitten may be too overwhelmed otherwise.  If you have two quieter kittens, getting a boisterous boy may lead to spats, so I'd try to complement their characteristics when you go to view your new kitten. 

Observation and interaction are every bit as important as what a cat looks like, and it can be tempting to choose the "wrong" cat for your existing set up if you choose on impulse.

Don't mean to sound discouraging, just to point out possible areas for pitfalls.

We introduced one male cat who was used to living with another male (sadly lost to an RTA) to two mental semi feral girl kittens.  Thankfully, due to the laid back nature of the male cat, it went better than it really should have done, and he served as a calming influence on the girls, but the girls are still a handful and present their own challenges.

Choose with care, and let the breeder guide you, if you trust and know them.  Would love to see piccies of your boys.   :)

Scent swapping, as Paula has suggested, will help with integration, and you could always try a plug-in such as Pet Remedy and Feliway before you bring the new kitten home.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:36:38 AM »
My 'little' boy was neutered at approx 8 months as he was a stray/feral and he is 4 kilos + if that helps. He is just a moggy though. 

Just take the introduction slowly and it should be fine, keep the kitten in a separate room if poss, swap blankets to get them used to each others smells and then supervised play time, don't worry about the odd hiss or growl, but then again they may take to him straight away. Mine, with one exception, have always just accepted other cats.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:42:57 AM by Judecat (Paula) »

Offline Carice17

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 22:26:18 PM »
Yes definitely another boy.. we will be getting them done soon but I have been told that they don't grow very big when they get neutered? So we are trying too hold it off for aslong as we can! Thankyou  :thanks:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 20:37:55 PM »
Are you dead set on having another boy? It may be easier to integrate a female into the mix given the age difference. As long as you have her spayed fairly early your shouldn't have a kitten problem. Are you planning on getting the boys neutered as well? Much easier. They tend to be a lot quieter and don't spray and are less susceptible to certain health issues.

:welcome: to Purrs. :wow:

Paula x

Offline Carice17

• Kitten
British short hairs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:24:58 AM »
Hey, we have two British short hair boys they are 5 months old (roughly) and we want another BSH which will be ready in December! I was just wondering how three males would be together and how too introduce the kitten? Thankyou 

Link to CatChat