Author Topic: Nasty Neighbour!!  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Nasty Neighbour!!
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 20:05:45 PM »
I am going thru a c**p time at moment with neighbour and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Whether she is well intenioned or not, I would recommend trying to educate rather than annoy her.

Offline Lindyloo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 19:54:58 PM »
Being rude and threatening to someone because they have a different opinion to you will never acheive anything and cannot be justified.
 I may not agree with this neighbour but I do admire her for having the courage of her convictions and telling you what she thinks.
It is not nice to be on the receiving end of criticism but after reading some of the comments on this thread I have even more sympathy for RSPCA Inspectors who  have to put up with those kind of unreasonable attitudes on a daily basis.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 19:30:35 PM »
when i got lucifer neutered someone at work told me i was cruel to do that!! she said that "cats should be allowed to have fun, youre taking all the fun out of life for him".

Perhaps you could tell her that  another word for fun is amusing, it is not very amusing when your cat gets a life threatening disease just because you wanted your cat to have some fun, is it?
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2007, 18:12:30 PM »
when i got lucifer neutered someone at work told me i was cruel to do that!! she said that "cats should be allowed to have fun, youre taking all the fun out of life for him". she was 100 % serious. in her defence shes spanish and has a different attitude to animals. she got a reeled off lecture about illness, roaming,spraying,stress etc  :P
when i told my mum that i was hoping to keep lucifer either inside or with a cat-proofed garden she told me she thought it was cruel, since then shes had "an education"  :evillaugh: and came to visit last weekend and agreed that he doesnt seem to miss the outside world and is happier in himself than our old indoor/outside cat was despite our best efforts. my mums a cat lover but just still has fairly out dated opinions and with some patient explanations shes seen the light, maybe its possible to do the same with your neigbour? as jackspratt  suggested a quick cuppa might cure all? mind you that depends if you care about her opinion!

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 18:10:08 PM »
Well, I havent had an RSPCA inspector at my door and I haven't seen or heard anything off my neighbour. I might invite her round for a cuppa and introduce her to Menue. Although that might be hard seeings as she runs away every time some one new walks in the door!

Don't worry, I can't see myself putting any soiled litter through any letter box. I'm not like that now! Maybe when I was younger I would have done but I don't want to get chucked out of my flat and like Gill said, Menue needs me! Oh yes she does! I'm just going to see how it goes! It's so hot today and I know heat makes people angry and causes riots!

S x
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 11:53:50 AM »
Id tell her that your cat is the nervous type and she does not bode well with the great outdoors......you know your doing the right thing so dont get upset........RSPCA inspectors will understand your reasons even if she dosnt ;)

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 00:30:24 AM »
With some of the stories about incompetent RSPCA inspectors that have been doing the rounds lately - even if they're the exceptions - it's still a worry. There are people who will read what they want into the legislation, and just one such case iunvolving someone in authority would be too many.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 00:13:27 AM »
the people here with indoor cats shouldn't worry too much - any inspector will still need a warrant to gain access to their premises.

Can you imagine the reaction from cat clubs and the GCCF etc if it was considered keeping an indoor cat was cruel?!  Not going to happen.  I don't think anyone with an indoor cat need worry about the new animal welfare act.  It's not that specific.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 23:47:30 PM »
A cup of tea might be another exception, depending on how well Sarah gets on with this neighbour, and it doesn't sound promising!
I agree that there will probably be attempts to use the new law in a vindictive way, but the people here with indoor cats shouldn't worry too much - any inspector will still need a warrant to gain access to their premises.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 23:41:11 PM »
Sorry JS forgot about that advice, which is good  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 23:31:44 PM »
I thought offering a cuppa was the universal way of getting people onside. Or is that just in my family?! :evillaugh: ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 23:32:08 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 23:28:35 PM »
I find this thread very worrying because it could be that some idiots have heard about the animal welfare bill and if you have squabble with them for some reason they will use your cat and RSPCA against you.

Just to say I have a nosey interferring nasty neighbour and I have 4 outdoor cats.

I wonder how the RSPCAs call centre is going to deal with this type of calls?

Sarah do not take any action that has been suggested on here, except maybe Ela's, even in jest it may have been suggested but you will be the one who gets into trouble and Menue needs you.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 23:27:49 PM »
Blimey, it's a good job you lot aren't in Government we'd be at war every other week! :rofl:

Offline Jules_s

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 21:27:23 PM »
sarah u should of told her to  :censored: off and mind her own  :censored: business

Too right, Contents of soiled litter tray through letterbox would be my next plan of attack  :innocent:
I'm a bloke :O)

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 19:41:30 PM »

sarah u should of told her to  :censored: off and mind her own  :censored: business

:evillaugh: :rofl: :rofl:

I wouldn't want to mess with you Lisa!  :evillaugh:

:rofl: :evillaugh: :rofl: :evillaugh: :rofl: :evillaugh: :rofl:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 19:40:00 PM »

:evillaugh: :rofl: :rofl:

I wouldn't want to mess with you Lisa!  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 19:36:51 PM »
if any of my neighbours dared to interfer in my private business theyd be finished

loads n loads of people have indoor cats

its really not uncommon anymore

i have 7 !

its ur flat ur cat and ur life u can do what u want when u want what time u want etc etc etc

how dare she  >:( >:(

MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 18:26:50 PM »
I think that's a little harsh, Sarah. From everything you've put on here Menue is loved and has lots to do.

Maybe you should invite her in to show her how "neglected" Menue is! Give her a cuppa and have a chat - unless she's so rough you don't want her casing your home!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 18:15:30 PM »
Try not to let it worry you - she's either an idiot or a well intentioned but ill informed (and rude!) person.  Or somewhere in between.  You're not cruel and if she comes around again try to stay calm and tell her that actually a lot of people keep their cats indoors these days because there are lots of dangers outside and a lot of cats get killed by cars etc.  And tell her that the rspca have better things to do than worry about people keeping their cats indoors!  I wouldn't get into too much of an argument with her, just say enough to let her know that you've noted her concerns, your cat is happy and safe indoors and that lots of people do the same (and indeed the majority of breeders of pedigree cats stipulate that their kittens go to indoor homes). 

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 18:02:49 PM »
Yup she came round specifically to tell me she thought I was cruel!

I mean, I had to get permission for the housing association before I got a cat. I even told them it would be an indoor one so that I wouldnt have to cut the door to fit in a catflap. They were happy for me to have her!

Think I may have to do some printing off and posting through her door!

11 indoor cats? Heaven! One cat is never enough. Sometimes I think Menue gets a bit lonely so she needs a friend (apparently she used to live with lots of other cats!) but I think my thinking is just going to get me into trouble with Menue and my boyfriend... never a good thing!

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 17:42:16 PM »
Perhaps you will print out a copy of the indoor/outdoor debate on my site pass it to your neighbour. I think it states that most of our  Cats Protection fosterers keep their cat in.  Then she can report us all together. Do we care. not a bit. Our local RSPCA give us FIV cats knowing full well that they will be re-homed as indoor cats, so they too cannot be that bothered.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 17:10:01 PM »
Send her round to my house where she'll find 11 indoor cats, lol.  Don't worry, if your cat did go out she'd probably be knocking on your door and complaining that you cat was messing her garden, lol.  Some people just like to moan about things.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 17:00:35 PM »
Tell her to  :censored: off!  How dare she pass judgement on how you care for your animals  :mad2:

I think it is very wrong of your neighbour to say that - did she knock on your door specifically to say that, or did she somehow bring it into the conversation?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
Nasty Neighbour!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 16:53:42 PM »
Had a run in with one of my neighbours... I say run in, it was more of a "friendly" chat!

She came knocking on my door this morning and point blankly told me I was cruel and unfit to have a cat as I kept her locked indoors allday. I tried explaining that Menue was an indoor cat but she wouldn't hear it and told me that she would report me to the RSPCA for cruelty to animals. So obviously I am very upset, I think the word is.

I mean, Menue loves sitting in the window and sunnying herself, but she hasn't tried to get out since she ran out when she was on heat one time. It took me about 5 minutes to find her and she was shaking and stuff then poop everywhere!

I don't think I am a cruel person to have an indoor cat especially with some of the driving of residents on the estate! And I don't like the thought of losing Menue in an RTA like I have done with so many other cats when I was younger. It's heart breaking.

*sigh*

Sarah xxx

Link to CatChat