Author Topic: Is anyone elses cat already starting to shed  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Is anyone elses cat already starting to shed
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 18:47:45 PM »
Whilst Beanie may not be a pedigree, it's more than likely he has a strong main coon gene pool in his ancestry, giving him most of the characteristics.   :Luv2: :Luv2:

We have Moray, who most definitely isn't a pedigree, but who could pass for a full breed Norwegian Forest Cat any day of the week, more so than many I've seen advertised as breed registered.  I'd say, enjoy discovering this wonderful trait in your Beanie Baby.   :) :)

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Beanie
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
Ok so i think i have solved the excessive shedding mystery. I was watching something on animal planet and there was a cat that could of been beanie's twin. What surprised me was that it was a maine coon cat. As a rescue i have no idea what his lineage is but the more i read about maine coons the more he started to make sense.

He is a big cat, most cat beds are too small and he has a dog bed, he also have alot of fur on his paws and apparently this is because maine coons are designed for harsh weather so their coat is seasonal and what he is doing at the moment is losing his summer light fluff and the thicker winter coat is coming in. They are also known for acting like dogs which he does i had just assumed he had grown up with dogs even though he is scared when one walks past the house.

Its weird because now i know im looking at him going of course you are. Its probably only partly maine coon but its cool knowing a bit more about him

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 19:09:00 PM »
They've only just stopped!  When I say stopped I mean slowed down!  It seemed to go on forever this spring/summer.  Tumbleweed everywhere  :Crazy:

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
don't think mine ever stop  :rofl:

I don't think beanie does either i just noticed its increased in volume.

Offline pandorawarlord

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: buttonchops, jeronimo, symphony, tenini, montymunchkin
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »
don't think mine ever stop  :rofl:

Offline Eyes Half Closed

• Adult Cat
  • House cats
    • cata_of_the_clan
  • Slave to: Lux, Gizmo & Loki
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »
mine have been shedding since spring time, if you can look for a furminator brush for long haired kitties, it may help.

just be prepared to have cat hair everywhere, especially with a long hair, he is beautiful though  :Luv:
White & Black - Lux (♂13/5/16)
Ginger & White - Gizmo (♂28/4/17)
Black - Loki (♂11/12/17)
Over the bridge
🌈 Calcifer  (14/3/2015) - (11/11/2017)
www.instagram.com/cats_of_the_clan/

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 22:00:54 PM »
OH BEANIE, WHAT A GORGEOUS, BIG FURRY CAT YOU ARE :Luv2: :hug:

GET A CAT AND GET A FURRY HOUSE  ;) :rofl:

I LOVE THE POSITIONS THEY GET IN TO. MY STANLEY RECENTLY GOT IN TO A FUNNY POSITION, SEE ATTACHED PIC.

MARY

He is very sleepy now as he just got a bunch of new toys. Hopefully that will stop him from scratching my bedroom door all night which is his new trick

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 21:27:14 PM »
OH BEANIE, WHAT A GORGEOUS, BIG FURRY CAT YOU ARE :Luv2: :hug:

GET A CAT AND GET A FURRY HOUSE  ;) :rofl:

I LOVE THE POSITIONS THEY GET IN TO. MY STANLEY RECENTLY GOT IN TO A FUNNY POSITION, SEE ATTACHED PIC.

MARY
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 20:05:23 PM »

He's gorgeous

Hoolies have been shedding since spring

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 17:34:58 PM »
My two grown up cats haven't stopped shedding since the Spring! The three 'kittens' (all about two now. :evillaugh:) don't seem to shed at all.
Beanie hasnt really either it just seems that the clumps are getting bigger in the last week. I know that their fur thickens in winter so im guessing hes growing out the lighter stuff. He does look quite scruffy at the moment even though i brush him

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 17:23:44 PM »
My two grown up cats haven't stopped shedding since the Spring! The three 'kittens' (all about two now. :evillaugh:) don't seem to shed at all.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 17:02:00 PM »
What a hansum boy!  :Luv2:

Alfie is short-haired but we are finding clumps of his fur on the carpet. Which isn't great as the carpets throughout our new flat are cream!

He is a pretty cat but when he sleeps like that he does look silly. I think he thinks hes a dog. He sits, stays, lays down and plays fetch. I dont know much about his history before we adopted him but im guessing he was around dogs.

He even sits when we have people food in our hands, almost as if he thinks that all food it his as long as he sits

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 16:38:17 PM »
What a hansum boy!  :Luv2:

Alfie is short-haired but we are finding clumps of his fur on the carpet. Which isn't great as the carpets throughout our new flat are cream!

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
Is anyone elses cat already starting to shed
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 13:19:45 PM »
My Beanie baby looks like hes already getting ready for winter as evidenced by the fur all over my living room floor, maybe i should train him to use the hoover!

Weve had him six months already and while he hasn't always been easy, litter box problems, biting, and the separation anxiety still can be a problem but we are working through it. The flip side of that is that a cat who was almost feral when we got him from the shelter has become really affectionate and playful even very dopey sometimes.

Cant really imagine what life would be like without him in all honesty

Link to CatChat