Author Topic: Litter Trays?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Litter Trays?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 00:56:09 AM »
Emo started using the lawns to poop on, and the flower beds. The others have followed suit, so I have to go out armed with nappy sacks, inverted to pick up poop. just as bad as dogs, although at least I don't have to walk them. It makes planting interesting too. :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzie and Tiggie
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 23:49:20 PM »
hollycat, do you mean you use shredded card instead of the Catsan-type litter?
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 14:14:59 PM »

Cats fed on wet food only have very, very stinky poop. Dry food not as bad. Not a lot to be done about stinky poop unless cats are outdoor cats then they will annoy the neighbours by pooping in their gardens  :rofl: :rofl:

The rule for litter trays is one each. Hoolies have two, they use 1 for poop and the other for pee. I use shredded cardboard with a sprinkling of wood pellets on top

I empty the Hoolies trays every time they use them and clean with antibac wipes and or spray twice a day.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 19:03:14 PM »
Kito is into litter sculpure.  His favourite is called Great Puramids  :-:

Tray shouldn't smell of urine - sounds like the litter isn't doing it's job if it is.  I never get any smell from the trays (I use Oko cats best).

Offline DorothyButton

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dorothy, Pips, Esme. RIP Muppet x
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 17:32:08 PM »
I tried tray liners once, my cats just scratched it up along with the litter.

No matter how deep the layer of litter, Sky and Alf both scrape it away before they perform, so the litter + urine always have to be scraped off the bottom of the tray  >:(

Cleo used to have terribly stinky poo, it's why I switched to raw feeding, so that might be an option if all else fails.A

We have this with Pips. She likes to have a litter 'party' that one!! Even with the flappy door on the front it all comes flying out.

We haven't really got the stinky poo situation since we changed them onto their Hills Science Plan dry food for sensitive stomachs it's more the urine smell more than anything.

The more and more I think of it I think it's the tray itself so may just have to replace them more often. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Sorry once again Gill I cannot make the font on my iPhone and the Tapatalk app any darker x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 17:24:42 PM »
I tried tray liners once, my cats just scratched it up along with the litter.

No matter how deep the layer of litter, Sky and Alf both scrape it away before they perform, so the litter + urine always have to be scraped off the bottom of the tray  >:(

Cleo used to have terribly stinky poo, it's why I switched to raw feeding, so that might be an option if all else fails.A

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 16:21:06 PM »
Me three on the liners, horrid things.

I am afraid that the small room gets very fragrant after a short while with three large cats using one litter tray. I keep it deep and clean out 4-5 times a day, but it still gets whiffy. Very occasionally they will use the other one, but not often.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Online Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 14:43:32 PM »
that's what I believe too, Sue

I have a single big tray with a rim for my two, and use Ultra Fine Clumping litter, a good 10cm deep - I like Golden White from Zooplus best -  and never get any smells, although I do have to do a bit of swift covering up when Tiffany has been busy in there

I never change all of it either - I remove lumps and clumps when I know there's some in there (the scatter of litter is a dead give away :evillaugh:) and once a month tip the litter into a bowl, and scrub out the tray - then it all goes back in again - minimal cost and easily the cats' preferred system - I did try alternatives in an effort to be greener and they hated it
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 14:44:48 PM by Kay&2Ts »
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 13:14:21 PM »
I'd try using the whole 5kg bag of litter in the one tray then, and see if that helps.  I don't believe in using litter tray liners, as cats often dislike the feel of them on their paws, and I don't think they help. 

Offline DorothyButton

• Adult Cat
Litter Trays?
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 13:08:46 PM »
Thanks Sue, I think I'll have to do that by taking the lid off for a while. I was even looking at getting a new one earlier to see maybe if the 'smells' (sorry) are the issue by staining the plastic. I'm just a bit confused though if I'm honest because every time it is changed its throughly sprayed and showered out.

Thanks for all the advice

The tray is so big that 2 of the little rascals could get into it!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 13:09:40 PM by DorothyButton »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 13:03:08 PM »
Aw, am sorry you've been under the weather, and hoping you're feeling better soon.   :hug: :hug:

We use Catsan clumping too or PAH own clumping brand, and find it really good.  We don't use that much all told.

We scoop daily, but I don't waste much. 

I think the trick to stopping litter from smelling is to use a deep layer of litter.  It doesn't penetrate through to the base then, so the smells are less. 

Having said that, some cats' excretions are more pungent than others. 

You could also try taking the hood off the tray if it's removable, as sometimes this can exacerbate the smell (even where a filter is in place)

Malt has a problem with peeing over the edge of the tray at times, but we solved that by putting puppy pads under the tray which helps reduce the worst of the smells until we get up and can change the pad.

Offline DorothyButton

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »
It's Catsan we use and a 20l bag (the big one) usually only lasts for just over 2 changes. We use loads! I hate when we go over to SIL and there's barely enough in there to cover the bottom of it.

Sorry! I said it's done weekly but I'd probably say more like 5 days it was changed Monday and I'm going to change it again in a sec.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »
if it is just one tray for all three you will probably need to change it a bit more often, I have two trays and my three have outside space but I do a full change every 5 or so days

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:50:01 PM »
What kind of litter do you use? For non-clumping, I change every other day.
Please spay your cat

Offline DorothyButton

• Adult Cat
Litter Trays?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
Hello all, sorry haven't been about for a while as haven't been too well.

Our girls currently have an extra large hooded cat litter tray which we got from Zooplus.

But! Although we scoop it out daily and it's washed out weekly with antibacterial spray and it has a filter on the top but it really stinks!! (Sorry)!

Are we doing anything wrong? Thanks

Link to CatChat