Author Topic: Channel 4 Monday 7 August - Supervet Animal Rescue Live  (Read 9105 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Channel 4 Monday 7 August - Supervet Animal Rescue Live
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2017, 14:04:56 PM »
Noooooo! Anyone but Kate Humble, I would have loved to watch the animal programme on in the morning, but find her and Ben Fogle so patronising, I think it's called Animal Park, OH says it is because they have a load of kids watching, it doesn't mean they have to speak as if they are talking to complete idiots. I agree though Dolly Bird dressed completely inappropriately until the last one(?) and she actually wore jeans.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2017, 13:32:19 PM »
I think Noel had to be repetitive to make up for the two he was stuck with.  They could've had Steve Leonard and Kate Humble working with him.  Or Paul (O Grady) and Scarlett Moffatt. 

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »

I've applied to adopt Dolly Bird   :rofl:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »

Still think it would have been better for Noel to be used in segments or to promote certain aspects rather than be a presenter.  Tbh I think the presentation of the show is a bit of a shambles.  Steve is ok but he does tend to bumble through things anyway - that seems to be his style, Noel is very repetitive and annoying and as for Dolly Bird - is there a school for how to dress on tv?  If there is she needs to go back.  Not too fussy what people wear on tv but not being too distracting has to be an important consideration and she's failed miserably on that front.

Totally agree, the presentation was all over the place. Dolly Bird (cannot remember her name!) was just daft, and as for Steve - why was someone too scared to hold a snake presenting an animal programme?
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
Watching the last one now. 

Wy is it called Supervet Special?  It's not a Supervet special?  :Crazy:  :Crazy:

I like the fact that it's promoted rescue and encouraged people to look there for a pet.  Provided each rescue still follows their procedures for rehoming, I don't see it as a problem to have a bit of a rehoming drive.

Not impressed with the retired greybound on Thursday's programme - by which I mean not impressed with the racing fraternity expecting a regular rescue to take on responsibility to rehome ex racing dogs and for the dog to have health issues to boot.

Still think it would have been better for Noel to be used in segments or to promote certain aspects rather than be a presenter.  Tbh I think the presentation of the show is a bit of a shambles.  Steve is ok but he does tend to bumble through things anyway - that seems to be his style, Noel is very repetitive and annoying and as for Dolly Bird - is there a school for how to dress on tv?  If there is she needs to go back.  Not too fussy what people wear on tv but not being too distracting has to be an important consideration and she's failed miserably on that front.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
I love Supervet, Noel did make a point about it one evening with a three legged dog on Wednesday or Thursday, saying that although they always show him doing the complex operations on Supervet, pinning damaged limbs, they amputate far more often as animals do very well with three legs and it often is the best outcome for the animal. I like it because animals come in in pain and go out pain free and Noel is so good with the owners as well. Especially children, he explains what he is going to do for their beloved pet in simple terms without ever being patronising or talking down to them.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 06:42:45 AM »

I haven't watched yet.  Am in two minds in case I accidently don't skip the dog fighting one.  From comments on this thread I think I'd like most of it.  Don't watch supervet as get upset seeing ill animals.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 07:00:13 AM »
I love Noel.  I think he comes across as very natural and very passionate about what he's doing.  I cant say the same about Kate and Steve, unfortunately.  I find both of them irritating.   :-:  Like you say, Steve couldn't even get the sex of the dog right. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 20:55:42 PM »
I love Noel, but he is not a particularly good presenter. I far prefer him in Super Vet. He seems far more comfortable in his own environment. At least he knows what he is talking about, the other bloke kept calling Echo she and Noel, very tactfully corrected him.

I would love to offer a home to the Burmese, but although he won't get as long as Salmissra, males are smaller, but they are wider in girth and consequently heavier. I wouldn't be able to take him to the bath on my own and they need their weekly bath to shed correctly and to poo. Although Sal only used to feed every couple of weeks and poo once a month. That was because I couldn't get her off the giant rats onto other prey, she turned her nose up at guinea pigs and rabbits, never mind still born lambs and pigs, which is what she really should have been eating once every 4-6 weeks at her size.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 20:54:41 PM »
He's very annoying!  Should stick to being a vet.  He's good at that.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 20:38:07 PM »
You Dunt like Noel.....?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 20:34:39 PM »
 :-: :-: :-:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 20:05:50 PM »
It's when he keeps repeating the same thing in almost every situation.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 19:05:20 PM »
I've only watched the first 2 but Noel's presenting skills (or lack of) are making me cringe. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 23:01:02 PM »
So is Sasa/Sasha the three legged one. :Luv:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 22:18:37 PM »

Casper the American Bull dog is beautiful.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 22:17:00 PM »
I want that Burmese Python. Trouble is, he isn't that far off in girth than my 17 and a half foot Sal, he may only be 8' but I bet he isn't far off her weight.

He was big wasn't he  :rofl:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 20:44:22 PM »
I want that Burmese Python. Trouble is, he isn't that far off in girth than my 17 and a half foot Sal, he may only be 8' but I bet he isn't far off her weight.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 13:52:47 PM »

I was turned down by the RSPCA because I lived in a flat. They went by the address. No home visit from them just a big fat no.

I loved the potty mouthed parrot. When I was little we had a potty mouthed budgie. Every time the priest came to visit he told him to f off  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 13:33:53 PM »
Watched this last night, and the hour flew by.  Noel was so relaxed and natural around the animals, though it had me shaking with laughter when he was with the baby rabbits.   :evillaugh:

I liked the fact that they clearly managed the expectations of the family who attended wanting a dog and a cat for their kids.  They ended up taking home two lovely kittens, with full instructions on what to do, and they will be followed through the week.  Whether they continue to follow the instructions after the week is up......?

There was a fabulous black and white cat at one of the shelters who kept pawing through the bars of his pen when people passed.  I thought he was a proper little character, and he deserved to get an interested owner, for his sheer effort of will, bless his paws.

I do hope that the people who've expressed an interest will turn out to be suitable potential owners for the Dog De Bordeaux and for Clio, the 3 legged staffie cross

Will miss it tonight unfortunately as I have to go out, but will try and watch it tomorrow before the third episode.

I was just waiting for the bunny on his face to poop  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 08:21:47 AM »
those poor rabbits last night, hope they get a home  :(

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 19:52:03 PM »
I nearly failed my first home visit because I didn't have a cat flap (luckily they knew my neighbour!) - they are the strictest rescue in the area, we got loads of fantastic homes from people they had failed! Sometimes it varies between volunteers in the same rescue, I didn't always agree with the fosterers, but even though I was the homing officer, I didn't overrule them (although one did get a different pair of kittens!). It is very hard, and sometimes you have to be realistic, I do believe there are two different levels of homes, not everyone will go to the same lengths, but it doesn't mean it won't be a good home. And you do pretty much know from speaking to them.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 18:09:56 PM »
I think these real stories of how we got our cats illustrate the differences with different rescues - some will only re-home to adopters who agree to indoor-only.  Others will only agree if indoor/outdoor access.  Some won't re-home if you live near a road (Who doesn't?  Even in the country you have to have an access lane).  Some won't re-home to families with children.  Others won't re-home to people over 70.  Some will only re-home two cats, some only one at a time.  Whilst I can appreciate the very good reasons for each set of criteria, I also think you can end up denying a cat what would be an otherwise excellent and loving home.

I recall an episode of Supervet where a gay couple brought in their dog who had a spinal tumour.  Unfortunately, one of their employers  had taken umbrage over their sexual orientation and so terminated their employment (unfair - of course, but it happens).  The other half of the couple couldn't work due to chronic illness.  As a result they lost their home when they couldn't keep up the rent.  They ended up living in their car, while they were waiting for help with their situation.  Noel was overcome with emotion at their plight, and he carried out all treatment on their dog and his rehab without charge, because he could see how very committed they were to his care, when others had been urging them to "give him up/put him down" etc.

I remember when we adopted Moray.  The rescue  never mentioned any home-check or anything.  When I asked the Administrator "What would you like to know about us?  Do you want to arrange a home visit?" he considered us briefly, shook his head and said:  "No.  I've been in rescue for almost 30 years.  You get a feel for people, and I dont think my judgment is too wide of the mark - I think you'll take good care of this little one." Having said that, we'd almost talked the poor sod half to death by the time we left.  He was probably glad to see the back of us.   :evillaugh:

I used to work at a council run shelter with a 7 day destruction policy.  It was heartbreaking.  We ended up with two dogs from there, and later another from the shelter featured on the programme.  We never had one home check , but we loved those dogs and strove to give them all rewarding lives.  I like to think we succeeded. 

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 15:44:39 PM »
I do think the issue of trying to ensure the potential adopters is something of a balancing act. Whilst obviously keeping the needs of the animal uppermost, we know that some people can be wonderful adopters despite being, on paper, less than perfect.

We had a home visit from RSPCA before being allowed to adopt Sky last year. I can't really remember being asked questions (other than 'Why do you want another cat?' to which I replied 'Because I am a 2 cat person') but we had a general chat about cats we had known. I guess he could see how far we were from the main road, what our house and garden was like and would get a general idea of us from chatting. Of course, we moved into a flat less than a year later, so many things have changed and they cannot legislate for that.

I did enjoy the program and it was lovely to see Noel looking so relaxed (I think this is the first 'holiday' he has taken for years). The only problem is that these programs make me reeeeeeeely want a dog - which is simply not on, given our living situation and our lack of walking capacity (plus the fact that hubby does not want one)!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 15:10:06 PM »
we were turned down by the first rescue we contacted, its a balancing act I suppose hopefully the outcome of the programme will be people think of rescues and that the neutering message gets out a bit more

how funny they let her come to you after all that Paula, mind you they weren't going to let us have amber from the rspca either (we were already having star) because we had a Bengal at home but after a week or so relented

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 14:57:50 PM »
Sorry, but I was turned down after a home check by The NFC Rescue as my garden wasn't completely cat proof, she even wanted an 'umbrella structure' on the cherry tree, incurved tops to the fencing, loads of 'improvements' that I wouldn't have made even if I did have the money. She changed her mind a couple of weeks later and I got Jude. Sometimes the home checks can be over rigorous.

Saying that I agree that checking should be done, but more with a mind to homing the animal with someone who understands it's requirements and the expenses they can incur. We quite often had animals brought in because they got too big/expensive to keep.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 14:55:01 PM »
There are rescues in my area who will let you turn up and take a cat/kitten without a home visit

That's how I got my two! (To be fair, it was a small rescue which didn't have much space, plus I'd found it through a contact on Purrs.)
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 13:33:21 PM »
My issue is nothing to do with it being on T.V., more that to home that many in one week doesn't give enough time to do home visits, make sure people aren't rushing in etc, which was why I said decent homes. We might not be living in an ideal world but certain things should be adhered to even if it means homing less, because ultimately it's the animals that suffer if we don't

My thoughts exactly.
And it would help if they explained why home checks need to be done - I think it puts a lot of people off. Apparently Cats Protection no longer do home checks - not sure if this is CP-wide policy or just local but it's worrying.

CP adoption centres don't do home checks, they use google maps and have a questionnaire, apparently they don't have time for them, some branches don't due to lack of volunteers. I would have quit if they tried to make it a nationwide policy, although some of their ways of increasing homing contributed to me quitting. I do agree home visits put people off, it's why I don't use a formal check list, I make it more an informal chat, but normally the first question is 'what do you need to know'. There are rescues in my area who will let you turn up and take a cat/kitten without a home visit
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 13:34:51 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 13:30:37 PM »
I'd heard that too about Cats Protection, but don't know if that's a CP policy, or just one adopted by some over-stretched under-resourced branches (and I can understand why that may happen)

I think shelter to shelter varies, and it depends on the immediate resources and facilities with which they operate.

Some of the rescues in our area use foster homes only.

Others have designated rescue premises but with animals coming out of their ears, and seem unable to turn more away as they just get dumped on their doorsteps - sometimes even by the police who "have nowhere else to try."

I agree, I think the purpose of home checks and responsible pet ownership should be heavily emphasised, but there are many who will continue to adopt pets with no real idea of what they're taking on, or the complex requirements of some of the pets up for re-homing. 

Still - it's better to do something than do nothing, and that's what this programme is doing. 

Wish the dolly bird wasn't dressed like she's about to trip off to some festival though.  It did make me laugh when one of the potential adopters asked her solicitously if she was cold, and she admitted it was "a bit nippy."  This is Newcastle luv, this is what passes for our summer - what were you expecting, sat there in your cold shoulder top and silver block heeled boots....?

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 12:52:20 PM »
My issue is nothing to do with it being on T.V., more that to home that many in one week doesn't give enough time to do home visits, make sure people aren't rushing in etc, which was why I said decent homes. We might not be living in an ideal world but certain things should be adhered to even if it means homing less, because ultimately it's the animals that suffer if we don't

My thoughts exactly.
And it would help if they explained why home checks need to be done - I think it puts a lot of people off. Apparently Cats Protection no longer do home checks - not sure if this is CP-wide policy or just local but it's worrying.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 07:00:17 AM »
Watched this last night, and the hour flew by.  Noel was so relaxed and natural around the animals, though it had me shaking with laughter when he was with the baby rabbits.   :evillaugh:

I liked the fact that they clearly managed the expectations of the family who attended wanting a dog and a cat for their kids.  They ended up taking home two lovely kittens, with full instructions on what to do, and they will be followed through the week.  Whether they continue to follow the instructions after the week is up......?

There was a fabulous black and white cat at one of the shelters who kept pawing through the bars of his pen when people passed.  I thought he was a proper little character, and he deserved to get an interested owner, for his sheer effort of will, bless his paws.

I do hope that the people who've expressed an interest will turn out to be suitable potential owners for the Dog De Bordeaux and for Clio, the 3 legged staffie cross

Will miss it tonight unfortunately as I have to go out, but will try and watch it tomorrow before the third episode.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 21:49:18 PM »
I read an article about it tonight, Noel says he hopes the owners and pets they match up stay together, I thought people were choosing, not being matched, at least he is grilling them and there are qualified people checking out the families.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 15:08:00 PM »
When I've looked at the programme blurb, they do ask any potential adopters to register their interest and provide details in advance. Probably so that they can incorporate the vetting process into the programme?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 14:35:24 PM »
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 14:03:25 PM »
Yes, but there are some decent people out there who may just next week find they're in a position to adopt and this gives them the push they need.

I do share your concerns about people who only show interest because it's connected to the television, but that will always be the case.

I tend to share Celia Hammond's philosophy though in that regard - in an ideal world we'd do "x, y and z" - sadly, we're not living in an ideal world, so we have to do whatever we can to bridge the gaps.   

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 13:55:16 PM »
I don't think it's practical to achieve that anyway Desley, but if it raises awareness and gets a quarter of the animals in their care into decent homes, it will be a huge step. 

Sadly, here in Tyne & Wear/Northumberland, most of the dogs in NC & DS are staffies and staffie crosses, or indeterminate bull-terrier cross types, due to wholly indiscriminate backyard breeding.  They are notoriously difficult to place as there's a shortage of people with the proper understanding of the breeds to take them on.

The crucial word there being decent, and that is my issue with the aim. Bull terriers are common in rescues here too, and equally hard to home.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 13:49:43 PM »
I don't think it's practical to achieve that anyway Desley, but if it raises awareness and gets a quarter of the animals in their care into decent homes, it will be a huge step. 

Sadly, here in Tyne & Wear/Northumberland, most of the dogs in NC & DS are staffies and staffie crosses, or indeterminate bull-terrier cross types, due to wholly indiscriminate backyard breeding.  They are notoriously difficult to place as there's a shortage of people with the proper understanding of the breeds to take them on.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 13:33:05 PM »
Sorry, I don't agree with them trying to home all the animals in one week, although I am glad animal rescue will be getting some publicity.
Please spay your cat

Offline DorothyButton

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dorothy, Pips, Esme. RIP Muppet x
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:44:24 AM »
YAY! It will rescue me too, from re runs of You've Been Framed, until Two And A Half Men. ;D

We saw it too. Yay! It'll probably make me want to take in all of them! (Tissues to the ready)

Ahh somebody else who can't stand you've been framed lol!

X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 19:25:40 PM »
YAY! It will rescue me too, from re runs of You've Been Framed, until Two And A Half Men. ;D

Link to CatChat