Author Topic: Feline Behaviour Survey  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Feline Behaviour Survey
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 17:57:22 PM »
Aww!  :Luv:
Please spay your cat

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 17:32:15 PM »
Hubby was up during the night recently and I woke to see Sky lying stretched out near to me. She hardly ever shows her tummy, it was lovely to see her that relaxed!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 13:53:33 PM »
That's exactly it, Desley - it is Lucy's way of having human contact and affection in the way she can cope with and handle.  Sometimes, it seems so little to us, but to them it's an enormous bestowal of trust, and affection. 

Yes, I must admit I'm a real advocate of Pet Remedy diffusers, which are similar to the feliway.  And Zylkene - magic stuff!

I hadn't thought of it being a bestowal of trust. She's territorial about going out, and hisses 9 times out of 10 when you open the door, but I've realised that isn't aimed at me. I haven't tried Pet Remedy, and she's that fussy about things in her food that Zylkene didn't work.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 13:46:47 PM »
That's exactly it, Desley - it is Lucy's way of having human contact and affection in the way she can cope with and handle.  Sometimes, it seems so little to us, but to them it's an enormous bestowal of trust, and affection. 

Yes, I must admit I'm a real advocate of Pet Remedy diffusers, which are similar to the feliway.  And Zylkene - magic stuff!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 13:33:42 PM »
Hadn’t thought of it like that Sue!! One thing she does that always catches my neighbour out is she will happily rub against your leg, but it isn’t an invitation to touch her, it’s like her way of having a stroke!! She certainly has improved, when she sits on my knee now I don’t to put down what I was doing and sit in silence without touching her, although the slightest thing still makes her move. Think that’s why she enjoys sleeping on the bed with me, she can be as close or as far as she likes, and she doesn’t have to worry about being touched if she isn’t in the mood. Bless Malt, it’s amazing what can make them realise things. The thing that made the biggest improvement in Lucy was Feliway, I don’t need to check it, you can tell from her reaction it is running low, generally about a week before it runs out. It is helpful to be able to catch them for things like vets – sadly something Lucy has had to get used to this year, although it depends where she is as to what reaction you get from her!!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 14:04:47 PM »
I think when she bunny kicks you, she's reminding you that you're hers, and that she's in charge, so don't forget it.  But I also think Lucy sees you as more than just safety, because she does reach out to you from time to time for affection's sake.  I think it just scares her to be reliant on a human, so she then reacts. 

Malt has struggled with that for a long time.  She regularly would run away when I would move up to her.  then she would stand her ground but flinch away if I attempted to stroke her where she was.  Gradually, and gradually, she learned to stand her ground and "accept" the touching, before eventually she would lean into it, and return a rub of her cheek with a little head bunt of her own.  And of course she then used to betray her enjoyment with that little upright quivering tail.  In the end, she got to the point where, when we came back from holiday, we got the full on tummy display, and even more exciting - could touch it gently. 

I was left in little doubt when she disappeared in June for the 7 days we believe she was locked in - when she got back, she actively craved affection from us, and would fall asleep, cry fitfully, wake and immediately look for us, for reassurance.  She'd then go back to sleep again.  That went on for a couple of weeks before she began to relax.   Still can't pick her up though.....  :tired:

Not that I want to carry he around, you understand - I've never really had that kind of relationship with any of our cats except Flynn and Macbeenz, who actively enjoyed it.  I just think it's prudent to be able to if you need to.

But I do think Lucy loves you Desley.  She just fears to show anything which makes her feel or appear weak.  It's such a strong cat instinct.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 13:44:46 PM »
That’s an interesting way of looking at it Sue – I think Lucy does love me, last night, my neighbours granddaughter came round, Lucy was very unsure so immediately came and stood next to me, so she does see me as security, and safe. My unsureity was things like this morning, when she goes from ‘I’ll hold your hand gently mum’ to ‘I’m going to bunny kick your hand with force mum’ in seconds, and things like being meowed at are when she wants me to do something for her, so I’m not sure how positive it is from my point of view, although she has started sitting on my knee more since the operation. 
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 05:50:20 AM »
Lyn, Desley, I shared a similar dilemma with the Gurlies but recalling their behaviours when first we got them, and the fact that unless we attempt to pick them up they display genuine affection, I could only conclude on the whole we had a positive relationship.  I believe the same is true of Sky and Lucy.  Parents aren't always popular with their kids when they make decisions about their welfare, but most kids love their parents and would mourn their loss.   :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 22:00:19 PM »
Completed for both cats. It feels strange to relate how scared Sky is and how much time she spends hiding and then go on to say that I consider I have a positive relationship with her!

I found it odd how many of the positive behaviours Lucy displays, as well as the negative! I did say I wasn't sure if I had a positive relationship with her but changed my mind this evening, she certainly sees me as security
Please spay your cat

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 21:56:54 PM »
Completed for both cats. It feels strange to relate how scared Sky is and how much time she spends hiding and then go on to say that I consider I have a positive relationship with her!

Offline floralfelidaes

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Moto, Pumpkin and Pancake
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 21:29:16 PM »
Thank-you everyone, I look forward to reading your responses  :innocent: :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 18:30:32 PM »
Now done  :)

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 13:45:16 PM »

Done ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 13:23:51 PM »
Completed.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 11:25:27 AM »
Have tried but cant access it from work.  I will have another go tonight though.  We've got three cats, so will do it for all 3, access permitting.   :) :welcome:

Offline floralfelidaes

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »
Hey, thank-you for letting me know. I realised I did not hyperlink the whole link properly (woops! :shy:).

Hopefully this will work.

https://eSurv.org?u=socialcathuman

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 05:46:00 AM »
Same here, I'm afraid but happy to take part if you can get the link up. 

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 00:57:18 AM »
I'm afraid the link takes me to a 'Survey Monkey' log-in page not the actual survey  :(

Offline floralfelidaes

• Kitten
Feline Behaviour Survey
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 21:10:38 PM »
I am currently studying Applied Zoology at university (in my 3rd year) and I am now able to begin my dissertation! I will be studying what factors may influence social behaviours and interactions between domestic cats and their human companions in a multi-cat and singular cat household.

This is my first time sharing this survey so if you have any feedback, issues or questions feel free to contact me about it. The survey has been tested in Google Chrome where it functions well, please let me know if you're having any issues with other browsers and I'll try and solve them.

If you do own cats, please may you fill in my survey?
https://eSurv.org?u=socialcathuman

If you own multiple cats, please fill the survey in multiple times with each individual's details.

Thank-you, I look forward to hearing about your wonderful felines!  ;D

Link to CatChat