Author Topic: disposing of empty pouches  (Read 9893 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: disposing of empty pouches
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »
I use the cheap scented nappy sacks, mainly because we like to have the back door open and if I don't they attract flies. They are about 35p for a hundred in Wilkinsons. I put all food waste in them and the bin doesn't smell.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
Re: disposing of empty pouches
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 22:11:21 PM »
I only use the ones with jelly or terrines, i find them a lot cleaner plus i scrape a fork along the outside of the pouch - less waste  ;) I stick them in the bin. I found it takes a good few days before there are any smells. 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
disposing of empty pouches
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 21:58:39 PM »
I try  to rinse them out before putting in the bin, but the gravy ones in particular refuse to give up the last dregs - so I have been putting them into a bin I keep outside the back door for litter tray deposits, but that's a nuisance when it's raining

but would the empty pouches start to smell if I put them into the kitchen bin, and if so, after how many days? I hate the thought of getting a whiff of rotting meat every time I open the bin

the alternative could be to put them in a bag in the freezer and only put them in the bin on collection day - anyone tried that?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat