Author Topic: How to weigh small cat?  (Read 3768 times)

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: How to weigh small cat?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 16:56:18 PM »
we use both the kitchen scales and our own scales, but usually we would go into a pets at home store and ask them to weigh them, I feel like its a bit more accurate. ;D

you could also look on amazon and eBay for pet scale or vet scales they are a bit pricey though  :shy:

Those are great suggestions, thank you very much! As it happens, things have moved on somewhat and we are not trying to weigh Madam at the moment, but I will bear them in mind.

Offline Eyes Half Closed

• Adult Cat
  • House cats
    • cata_of_the_clan
  • Slave to: Lux, Gizmo & Loki
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 14:00:16 PM »
we use both the kitchen scales and our own scales, but usually we would go into a pets at home store and ask them to weigh them, I feel like its a bit more accurate. ;D

you could also look on amazon and eBay for pet scale or vet scales they are a bit pricey though  :shy:
White & Black - Lux (♂13/5/16)
Ginger & White - Gizmo (♂28/4/17)
Black - Loki (♂11/12/17)
Over the bridge
🌈 Calcifer  (14/3/2015) - (11/11/2017)
www.instagram.com/cats_of_the_clan/

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 16:28:39 PM »
I only wish I could use this method - I'm afraid my 6.3k ginger lump would do serious damage to my scales :scared:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 15:57:10 PM »
Good idea Kay - I didn't think of putting something underneath the scales!  :-[ We are able to set them back to zero when something is on them, so we wouldn't have to do the mental arithmatic  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 15:21:55 PM »
stand kitchen scales on something firm and flat on the floor - large thick book, footstool, step stool, etc and then put Sky in carrier on top of scales

then weigh something heavyish, then that something again in the carrier, so you can work out weight of carrier, to arrive at Sky's weight

it won't be spot on but will do for comparison purposes
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
How to weigh small cat?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 14:04:00 PM »
Some of you might know that Sky has been quite unwell recently. We are still not sure what is going on - but there is the potential for it being something nasty  :'(

Rather than stressing Sky by catching her and taking her to the vet - again - we are going to keep an eye on her at home for a while. One thing we need to monitor is her weight. She's just under 2.5kg now, so even 0.2kg would be significant.

We don't have human scales at home, so I cannot use the 'weigh myself and then both of us' technique. I prefer not to have scales in the house but will get some if we cannot think of any other way.

We do have a set of electronic kitchen scales and they weigh down to 0.1kg. However, they are too small to sit Sky on and any container we put her in would also have to have quite a small 'footprint' - otherwise it will overhang and touch the surface on at least one side, rendering the reading unuseable.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Link to CatChat