Author Topic: Pets In Cars,  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Pets In Cars,
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 16:03:15 PM »
I can't find the post, it must have been in another thread, but the question was raised about if you have a car accident when transporting your pet and pet insurance, where would you stand. I was intrigued myself after reading that so I am just going to copy and paste my mail to Bought By Many insurers and the response.

Hi,

What about cats in cars? Mine are always in a carrier and the carrier is secured with the appropriate seatbelt. I have no wish to make an emergency stop and be decapitated by a low flying pet carrier. Obviously I don't want my cats hurt either. They only go to and from the vet. If they were hurt, where would I stand?

I also have snakes, they are only small ones, two corns and a hognose, again if they required medical treatment they would be in an appropriate carrier and restrained. This has not been an issue so far, but where would I stand legally?

The worst scenario would be that they had to got to the main veterinary hospital about two miles away, my local surgery is less than quarter of a mile. For x-rays or surgical procedures it is either the hospital or part of the practice about a mile away.

Please can you advise?

Many thanks,

Paula.

This was the response received today.

Heidi (Bought By Many)
6 Jun, 11:21 BST

Hi there Paula
Thanks for getting in touch. I have had a look and can't seem to find much regarding the law surrounding this.
As long as you take reasonable safety precautions to restrain your pets in the car, this must be acceptable?

Thanks

Heidi

The Bought By Many Team

A bit vague, but does suggest that the pet would be covered.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Link to CatChat