Author Topic: Our cat cannot eat and is lethargic  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
Re: Our cat cannot eat and is lethargic
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »
As I'm sure you know, it's not good for her to go without much food for more than a few days, so I'd get her to the vet in the next day or so. It could be something as simple as an infection the vet can treat immediately. If it's anything else, she can have treatment or you can get advice on things you can try to help yourself. 

My two like Webbox sachets with yogurt and chicken (they do salmon flavour as well) from quite a few supermarkets and Pets@Home. The Webbox and milk won't be complete, as won't contain all the ingredients she needs, but if she'll have them will provide energy and moisture. It might also be worth trying some different types of cat food. You might want something better quality, but it's easy to get individual tins/trays from the supermarket which might interest her - if it's her teeth, a pate type might be worth trying as she can just move it around in her mouth without chewing.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Our cat cannot eat and is lethargic
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »
Likely problem will be her teeth but I'm afraid there really is no alternative to taking her to the vet as it could be any number of things.

I've read your previous posts so I realise this is quite an issue for you.  You mentioned previously that your wife managed to entice her into the cage with food which may not be so easy now.  Tuna is often a great favourite with cats so that might trick her into the cage but whilst at least she is eating a little at the moment it's not something you should leave much longer  :hug: :hug:

Offline CarterUSM

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Lou & Peps
Our cat cannot eat and is lethargic
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 07:42:24 AM »
Hi

Our 5yo female cat is lethargic and has not been eating her normal amount of food; this state of affairs has been going on for about a week now. She's an outside cat and lives in an area with a sizeable feral population. She approaches us as if she wants to eat in the same way that she normally does, but when the food is placed in front of her, she takes only a few mouthfuls (we've noticed she mostly tends to go for either the gravy or jelly content, although she did eat a few biscuits last night).  We can tell that she wants to eat, but something (an infection from a feral cat, discomfort caused by swallowing?) is preventing her from doing so.

In addition, her fur is starting to look a little disheveled, and she's taken to lying down in the front garden, rather than returning to her secret hiding place as she normally does.

Does anyone have any idea as to what may be causing this, and are there any remedies, OTC or otherwise, which would alleviate this condition? Could anyone recommend any short-term solutions (cat milk, for example) which would ensure our cat is receiving her necessary nutrition? Ultimately, of course, we will need to take her to the vet but unfortunately that's easier said than done (and another story).

Very many thanks in anticipation.

Link to CatChat