Author Topic: Hello from Huntingdon  (Read 5904 times)

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Beanie
Re: Hello from Huntingdon
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 14:41:10 PM »
Oh he's a stunner, Hollie!   :Luv2: :Luv2:

When we brought Malt and Barley home, they were absolutely petrified of everything and spent a lot of time hiding themselves away, huddled together for support.  They'd been found dumped in a cardboard box in a woman's front garden. 

We would use food as a lure, too. 

After about 2 months, we could touch them when they were taking food from us but never any other time.  After about 8 months, we were able to touch and stroke Barley, lift her up and put her down.  Alas, Malt would still shy away from touch.

After about 10 months, Malt would accept touch but was still wary, whereas Barley was turning into a real snuggler who enjoys her treadle times, as well as sleeping in between her Ma and Pa in bed  (still doesnt like to be picked up tho, which is okay with us). 

We've had them now for 17 months and Malt now enjoys being stroked for a short period, and will lean into a scritch.  We get "happy tail" from her when she sees us, and we speak to her.  She still won't countenance being picked up, and will lash out in total panic if she thinks there's any risk you'll try to hold or restrain her, but she's come a long way in 18 months, and we're not in any hurry.

Rosella, another "thank you" for the Groucho video.  He is such a gorgeous boy.  Can't believe he's 7 already.  Stlll seems like yesterday when he was just brought to your door.   :)

Silly thing is the vet was able to stroke him so we decided to give it a go and he was ok so while we were there we stroked him alot. He was a little sedated so we figured it wouldnt last. When we got back from going out over lunchtime hes decided that not only does he like being stroked but its now my main mission in life. He is so weird, changes his mood within 5 minutes.
But he is cute and doesnt seem to care about his collar so thats something.

Your cats sound so cute. Its a shame that Malt and Barley had such rough starts. Like you said it just takes time

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 14:36:19 PM »
I had a feeling from your avatar that Beanie would be glorious  :catluv: :catluv: :catluv:

Living with Beanie's distant cousin Groucho does not of course make me in the least biased of course  ;)  Pic below was taken when he was around same age as Beanie 5 years ago.  He will be 7 years old next month and still mainly jet black head, back and tail but now has smokey black tinges around his ruff and a lighter coloured tummy that no one sadly is able to tickle or photograph.  I did catch him in a roll on video once although the sun makes his colouring look lighter than it is ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udUUi9wFLGA

Just wondering if Beanie is all black? 

He is mostly black but his back legs has a small amount of grey and he has the ocassional white strand of fur.

That video is so cute, his head and eyes make him and beanie look like twins almost

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 13:25:16 PM »
Oh he's a stunner, Hollie!   :Luv2: :Luv2:

When we brought Malt and Barley home, they were absolutely petrified of everything and spent a lot of time hiding themselves away, huddled together for support.  They'd been found dumped in a cardboard box in a woman's front garden. 

We would use food as a lure, too. 

After about 2 months, we could touch them when they were taking food from us but never any other time.  After about 8 months, we were able to touch and stroke Barley, lift her up and put her down.  Alas, Malt would still shy away from touch.

After about 10 months, Malt would accept touch but was still wary, whereas Barley was turning into a real snuggler who enjoys her treadle times, as well as sleeping in between her Ma and Pa in bed  (still doesnt like to be picked up tho, which is okay with us). 

We've had them now for 17 months and Malt now enjoys being stroked for a short period, and will lean into a scritch.  We get "happy tail" from her when she sees us, and we speak to her.  She still won't countenance being picked up, and will lash out in total panic if she thinks there's any risk you'll try to hold or restrain her, but she's come a long way in 18 months, and we're not in any hurry.

Rosella, another "thank you" for the Groucho video.  He is such a gorgeous boy.  Can't believe he's 7 already.  Stlll seems like yesterday when he was just brought to your door.   :)

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
I had a feeling from your avatar that Beanie would be glorious  :catluv: :catluv: :catluv:

Living with Beanie's distant cousin Groucho does not of course make me in the least biased of course  ;)  Pic below was taken when he was around same age as Beanie 5 years ago.  He will be 7 years old next month and still mainly jet black head, back and tail but now has smokey black tinges around his ruff and a lighter coloured tummy that no one sadly is able to tickle or photograph.  I did catch him in a roll on video once although the sun makes his colouring look lighter than it is ....

Aww, loved that video  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: I didn't watch it several times  :innocent: :innocent: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:34:24 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 00:04:11 AM »
He is a Beanie Babe. ;) :Luv:

Off on holiday tomorrow, but will fill you in on my herd of 5 rescues, ferals and strays when I get back.

Take care Honey,

Paula xxx

I do actually call him beanie baby  ;D

Enjoy your holiday

Holley xx

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 00:02:47 AM »
Yep can definitely see it!.  Beanie is beautiful  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  He suits his name  ;D
He is definitely full of beans. Hes just finished his 11pm zoom around the living room and is now on my bed looking for the treats i hide in my drawers. Hes very clever, i have to move them every couple of days because he works out where they are

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 23:54:35 PM »
He is a Beanie Babe. ;) :Luv:

Off on holiday tomorrow, but will fill you in on my herd of 5 rescues, ferals and strays when I get back.

Take care Honey,

Paula xxx
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 23:54:30 PM »
Yep can definitely see it!.  Beanie is beautiful  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  He suits his name  ;D

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 23:49:28 PM »
Ok lets hope this photo is viewable

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 19:52:26 PM »
Hi  :welcome: to Purrs and  :welcome: Beanie.  Sounds like Beanie is in very good place now  ;D. Like the idea of using the telescopic handle and brush combo, he'll be used to your hand in no time at all  ;) and by the sound of it, Beanie will be inducted into the 'The Norty Club' soon  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 18:09:09 PM »
Hello Hikari - Hello Beanie - Welcome to Purrs!   :welcome: :welcome:

Well you're doing just fine and dandy in solving Beanie's issues.    :)

Speaking as someone who has 3 cats, 2 of whom are semi feral and still very skittish, it's a great gift knowing how to play the end game (something I'm still learning!), and as Rosella has said - you have it well sussed.   :)  Am a great Jackson Galaxy fan myself.   :Luv:

Look forward to seeing piccies of Beautiful Beanie.   :wow:

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 16:10:10 PM »
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: TO BOTH YOU AND YOUR GORGEOUS LAD (FORGIVE CAPITALS BUT WE HAVE AN ACTIVE MEMBER WHO HAS PROBLEMS WITH HER SIGHT)

AREN'T YOU JUST THE BEEZ KNEES DEVISING SOMETHING TO GROOM YOUR BOY WITH A TELESCOPIC POLE NO LESS  :gold stars:

FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ANY PICS TO ME AND I'LL POST FOR YOU IF YOU LIKE rosellamoggy@gmail.com BUT I'LL TRY AND BE PATIENT AND WAIT IF YOU PREFER TO POST YOURSELF  :)

YOUR LAD HAS REALLY FALLEN ON HIS PAWS AND I HOPE YOU ARE ABLE TO FURTHER BRING DOWN THE BARRIERS HE FELT HE HAD TO BUILD DUE TO HIS PAST EXPERIENCE

:thanks: it was an idea I adapted from my cat from hell, which was about feeding more than grooming but it still works, the spoon confused him when I tried with feeding. Hes in a bit of a mood today because he normally has a nap in the afternoon but my other half is working from home today and he seems to be concerned he will miss something if he doesn't have a sleep, makes him a little grumpy

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 15:32:41 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: TO BOTH YOU AND YOUR GORGEOUS LAD (FORGIVE CAPITALS BUT WE HAVE AN ACTIVE MEMBER WHO HAS PROBLEMS WITH HER SIGHT)

AREN'T YOU JUST THE BEEZ KNEES DEVISING SOMETHING TO GROOM YOUR BOY WITH A TELESCOPIC POLE NO LESS  :gold stars:

FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ANY PICS TO ME AND I'LL POST FOR YOU IF YOU LIKE rosellamoggy@gmail.com BUT I'LL TRY AND BE PATIENT AND WAIT IF YOU PREFER TO POST YOURSELF  :)

YOUR LAD HAS REALLY FALLEN ON HIS PAWS AND I HOPE YOU ARE ABLE TO FURTHER BRING DOWN THE BARRIERS HE FELT HE HAD TO BUILD DUE TO HIS PAST EXPERIENCE

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »
We have had him a little over a months.

Ive been around cats my entire life and i know that just because a cat is timid at first doesnt mean they are like that for no reason and its nice when he does something that shows progress and even if we cant stroke him at least hes in a better environment thats the main thing.

I tried to attach a pic but its complaining its too big so i will have a play with it later on my laptop

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »
Hello! Firstly, I really applaud you for giving him a new start - most people overlook the timid, scared cats!

How long have you had him? It does sound like you are doing well with him and hopefully those elusive strokes aren't too far away  :crossed:

Pics and updates are greatly appreciated!  :evillaugh:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
:welcome: How lovely to meet you and Beanie. There are lots of very knowledgeable people on here, but it sounds as if you are doing exactly the right thing. We are a friendly bunch so don't be afraid to ask.

Take care and welcome again.

Paula xxx
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Hikari92

• Kitten
Hello from Huntingdon
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:06:50 PM »
Just thought i would say hello.
My cat Beanie is a 2 year old gorgeous boy. He had a bit of a tricky start, he originally came from a busy home in london with 7 other cats. His previous owners didnt bother to vaccinate or neuter him so its really a miracle he is as healthy as he is. He was underweight when we got him and terrified of everything. He hated the shelter and within 24 hours of getting him home he calmed right down.
We had some problems at the start with the litter tray but this turned out to be a miscommunication between the shelter and ourselves on the type and one that was sorted he started to become a very confident cat. He loves pretending to hunt and im sure once we let him outside (pending his last round of vaccinations tomorrow morning) he will he bringing back presents. He can sometimes be very naughty and clever but he is just curious really.
He doesnt like hands so we havent been able to stroke him yet but i devised a hand free way of grooming him as he is long haired and he loves it and begs for it as often as he can. The good thing about this is the pole i attached the brush to is telescopic and im gradually reducing the size till my hands being near him arent quite so scary.
He just needs a little time and love and im sure he will be able to overcome everything he has had to deal with so far.

Link to CatChat