Author Topic: James Herriot's Cat Stories  (Read 5500 times)

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: James Herriot's Cat Stories
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 20:36:45 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but on the topic of James Herriot's books, I recently found "Bonnie's Big Day" in a charity shop and couldn't resist it, some lovely illustrations :)

I don't know that one. Is it taken from one of his books, or is it a 'new' story?

Offline Ambersmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 20:22:58 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but on the topic of James Herriot's books, I recently found "Bonnie's Big Day" in a charity shop and couldn't resist it, some lovely illustrations :)

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzie and Tiggie
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 19:24:20 PM »
I thought it was really funny when James looked after Tricky Woo for a while and let him join the other dogs hunting rats at night.   

The Herriot site has a link to the Amazon reviews of Cat Stories. It seems there is a CD version too.

Herriot site: http://www.jamesherriot.org/index.php?s=Cat+Stories

Amazon reviews: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312113420/jamesherriot-20
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 19:28:40 PM by Cloveart »
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »
Actually, wasn't Cedric' owner the rather delicate young lady? I can foresee a mountain goat impression coming up. :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
Trickywoo was the dog :evillaugh: pekinese

Offline Ambersmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 20:53:20 PM »
I used to love those books, but I don't think I ever read one only about cats.

I thought Mrs Pumphrey was the lady with the peke (that used to suffer from 'flop bot' regularly  :evillaugh:).

I think they all featured in other books and this particular book just brought them together as it were :)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 20:46:41 PM »
Maybe that was after she gave Cedric to the gardener, who didn't notice the smell after losing his sense of smell to adenoid op or summatt similar when he was young???????? Definitely a reading session coming on.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 23:01:58 PM by Judecat (Paula), Reason: Spelling »

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 20:30:21 PM »
I used to love those books, but I don't think I ever read one only about cats.

I thought Mrs Pumphrey was the lady with the peke (that used to suffer from 'flop bot' regularly  :evillaugh:).

Offline Ambersmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 20:28:55 PM »
I thought Mrs Pumphrey, but then got myself confusticated with the also posh lady with the peke who was overfed on rich foods and gave Uncle James all sorts of treats. :rofl:

That was her!!!

Offline Ambersmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 20:27:56 PM »
The lady in question was Mrs Pumphrey.  I'll never forget.  I adored his books as a teenager.  May well re-read now.   :)

Oh of course!!!  Who could forget Tricky Woo although don't get me started on hideously spoilt dogs!!!!!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 19:49:36 PM »
I thought Mrs Pumphrey, but then got myself confusticated with the also posh lady with the peke who was overfed on rich foods and gave Uncle James all sorts of treats. :rofl:

Really must struggle across the devastation that is the back bedroom to reach the bookshelves and re read. :-[

It is such a beggar fitting two 3 bed houses into one. Lord help us if there is ever a fire in there.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 19:04:42 PM »
The lady in question was Mrs Pumphrey.  I'll never forget.  I adored his books as a teenager.  May well re-read now.   :)

Offline Ambersmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 18:15:54 PM »
I believe I still have it somewhere, I have all of his books. My favourite of his characters was the very genteel lady, whose name escapes me and Cedric the flatulent boxer. :naughty: I haven't read them for years, must do so again.

I'll have a look for those - we have the box set upstairs and the aforementioned cat book.  Does anybody know of any others he wrote?

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 16:08:37 PM »
I believe I still have it somewhere, I have all of his books. My favourite of his characters was the very genteel lady, whose name escapes me and Cedric the flatulent boxer. :naughty: I haven't read them for years, must do so again.

Offline Ambersmum

• Adult Cat
James Herriot's Cat Stories
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 15:24:41 PM »
Does anyone else have this book?

I remember having it as a child and was delighted to find it in my local charity shop (Just happened to be the one I volunteer in too) recently for the bargain price of 40p

Such a lovely book, I think I like the story about Mrs Bond and her cat establishment the best and who could forget Boris!!!

Link to CatChat