Author Topic: 'Trial adoptions' for rescue cats- is this legit?  (Read 3526 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: 'Trial adoptions' for rescue cats- is this legit?
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 14:56:38 PM »
Echo what Gill Sneakyfeline said, be very careful. A friend of mine adopted a beautiful white persian from a Romanian rescue, she arrived with some scabs and bare patches of skin and four weeks later my friends entire home, all her pet cats and dogs, her and her husband were infected with ringworm, which is dreadfully hard to shift. It almost broke her.  >:(

Do insist on passport and paperwork, all linked to the cat's microchip, full veterinary records and if she hasn't been checked for ringworm and FelV make sure YOUR vet does this before she enters your home. Trial or not you're entitled to protection.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 15:33:51 PM »
 VACCINATIONS ARE PART OF THE ESSENTIALS ON A PETPASSPORT!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 12:35:28 PM »
Yes, the rescue I'm involved with always gives a 'trial period' and we sometimes do have cats returned. It's usually if the adopted cat is moving to a home with other cats/ dogs/ young children that it's a problem. We always try to match a suitable household to a suitable cat, but can't always get it right! If a rescue isn't willing to rehome if there is problems you end up with an unhappy cat and unhappy owners.

I think it's probably more important to have a trial homing when you haven't even met the cat - as Sue says I would try to arrange a meeting before bringing her to your home.

I would also check about vaccinations, make sure she has been flea & worm treated and if she has been spayed (if it is not their policy, please get this done asap!), also using the litter tray.

I know a work friend adopted a dog from abroad a couple of months ago (Bosnia if I renember rightly), we live in Northumberland, and the dog arrived in Essex, so she didn't get to meet her until she went down to bring her home. She has been fine, but has a couple of behavioural issues.

Let us know how things are progressing!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 14:11:34 PM »
JUST LOST MY POST GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

JUST ADDING TO WHAT SUE SAID.

THIS CAT MUST HAVE A PETPASSPORT TO ENTER THE COUNTRY AND IF IT DOES NOT HAVE ONE IS HERE ILLEGALLY AND COULD HAVE SOME UNDERSIRABLE THINGS.

YOU NEED TO CHECK AND SEE IT AND IF YOU ADOPT THEN TAKE POSSESION OF IT.

HOPE ALL GOES WELL AND WE WILL NEED TO SEE PICS TO CHECK  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »
Hello Nienna.  Welcome to Purrs.   :welcome:  How lovely that you're looking to adopt.

In answer to your query, a number of rescues will offer "trial adoptions" where, if things don't work out, an adoptee can return an animal to the shelter.

However, I'd suggest you need to ask some questions about adoption fees, healthcare and insurance, etc.  It might be simpler to meet the cat a few times at the fostered first, and spend time in their company.  Remember though that some cats are not displaying their true nature when in rescue and don't really blossom until they're in their forever home.

What can they tell you about your preferred cat's background?  How much experience do you have with cats to date, and how comfortable do you feel about your chosen rescue?  Gut instinct can tell us much in any situation.

It's no bad thing to be cautious, but on the face of it, the offer of a trial adoption is not a bad one, hence my questions.   Sounds like this could be a very exciting for you, coming up.    :)

Offline nienna

• Kitten
'Trial adoptions' for rescue cats- is this legit?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:33:10 AM »
Hi - looking for some advice please!

I'm wanting to adopt a rescue cat, and have found one that looks lovely. She's currently in Hungary, but is coming across to the UK for adoption in a few weeks.

The lady who's collecting her once she's brought over has offered me a 'trial adoption' - to see if we click and it works out.

I've never heard of this before so was wanting to know if it was common practice in the rescue world? From the sounds of it, this lady and her friends rescue animals privately, and are not part of an official charity.

Anyone heard of this?
Thanks
Nienna

Link to CatChat