Author Topic: Claws and carpet!  (Read 3755 times)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Re: Claws and carpet!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 15:04:07 PM »
I've seen those claw covers before, not the socks! I think cats do need to scratch to shed the old claws?

Do you have any offcuts you could place in the areas he particularly scratches, or put a mat/ rug down?

Spray the things you do want him to scratch with pet rescue/ catnip?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 21:32:55 PM »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 17:28:01 PM »
 :evillaugh:  I know - I dont give anything for my chances to get them on Moray and as for the gurlies..... :rofl:  Still, some people have laid back cats who will let you "hug them and squeeze them and call them George" in the words of the great John Steinbeck!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 15:40:00 PM »
I have never seen those claw covers before. I would never get near Sky with them and even Alfie, who is pretty tolerant, would have escaped before I had got more than a couple on him  :Crazy:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 13:34:46 PM »
Clipping may help, or you could try putting clear plastic down with double sided tape in the affected areas.

There are also these - not sure how effective (or easy to apply) they are, and they come with mixed reviews, but as a last resort could be worth a go, as they're not that expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-Nail-Caps-Control-Adhesive/dp/B00CHGUO8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491222654&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+nail+cap

We have an area of carpet casualty in our house too, but thankfully they're very elderly carpets, so am not too concerned, but can imagine it must be a bit anxiety inducing to see lovely new ones being "improved upon."   :doh: :doh:

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
Claws and carpet!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 13:05:36 PM »
Hi
My indoor cat Alfie has taken to scratching the hell out of our new carpets :( If I had known how much he would do it I think I would have got laminate!  In particular its the usual bottom of the stairs but he is doing it every time he has one of his mad dashes round the house, or wants our attention.
I have positioned his scratching post and cardboard scratching at the bottom of the stairs but its not working.
He's now been banished to our kitchen/diner during the day when we are at work, which can't be any good for him as apart from two garden walks a day and being allowed out when we get back from work, it can't be much fun stuck in the one room.
A few of his claws don't retract due to an incident with him being chased years ago, does clipping them shorter help or does anyone have any better ideas?
Thanks!
Suzanne

Link to CatChat