Author Topic: Re-homing cats with greyhounds  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Re-homing cats with greyhounds
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »
Yes, I like borzois too  ;D

I am usually pretty good with dog breeds, my son will occasionally see a dog he doesn't recognise and ask me what it might have been. It can be quite difficult trying to work it out from his description!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 07:38:56 AM »
They are beautiful dogs.  I like Borzois too. 

I taped Scruffts over the weekend.  haven't watched it yet, but always good fun.   :)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 22:04:52 PM »
Paula has a Saluki/Border Collie cross and Lexi is lovely, unless you are another dog :evillaugh:. I always wanted either a Saluki or a Borzoi when I was younger as they are such elegant breeds.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 21:03:14 PM »
Emmy-lou, I think salukis are beautiful too, very aristocratic  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »
It can work, and I know people who've successfully managed it, but it's like many other factors - much depends on the dog and the cat involved.  It can apply to any breed of dog and cat, and the people involved, but hounds are generally more geared to pursue by virtue of their breeding for the trait so I think you're right to be cautious, Emma.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 22:09:22 PM »
I am going to have to google Cody La Perm now. :evillaugh:

:evillaugh:

By the way Salukis are soooo beautiful!  :Luv: I saw one being taken for a walk one morning when I was driving to work one day. As soon as I got there I had to google 'long legged dog fluffy ears' to see what type of dog it was!!!  :rofl:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 21:48:27 PM »
I think possibly as well you may need to be an experienced cat and dog owner which I possibly should have inquired about first. Another friend of mine has had 2 lurchers happily living with a cat, but has said she definitely wouldn't introduce another with the 2 dogs she has just now.

Maybe we should have considered re-homing a cat to her and left it up to whatever greyhound rescue to decide if her home was suitable.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 21:27:31 PM »
I am going to have to google Cody La Perm now. :evillaugh:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 20:16:12 PM »
I have a friend with 3 retired racing greyhounds. 2 of them dislike cats - the other loathes them!

I am told that it can work to have greyhounds and cats but it is not common and each hound/cat combination has to be assessed on its own merit. Even then, I would err on the side of caution, for the sake of all concerned.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 19:32:43 PM »
Lynn who used to be on here has always had cats and Greys with no worries currently 2 Greys and a Cody La Perm boy
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 18:04:10 PM »
I would personally be very concerned about rehoming a cat with any 'sighthound', e.g. Greyhounds, Borzoi, Saluki, Lurchers etc. If they see anything run, they will chase and kill if they can. It is in the breeding going back into their distant history. It isn't the dogs fault, and it may be very different if a kitten and a puppy are brought up together, but in any other circumstance I really wouldn't risk the cats life.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 18:01:09 PM »
I would personally be very concerned about rehoming a cat with any 'sighthound', e.g. Greyhounds, Borzoi, Saluki, Lurchers etc. If they see anything run, they will chase and kill if they can. It is in the breeding going back into their distant history. It isn't the dogs fault, and it may be very different if a kitten and a puppy are brought up together, but in any other circumstance I really wouldn't risk the cats life.

Also most rescue Greyhounds, although lovely, gentle dogs with people, and they are gorgeous natured, are ex-racing dogs and are conditioned to run after a small, fast furry object, even if it is an automated rabbit.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 18:03:23 PM by Judecat (Paula), Reason: Additional text »

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
Re-homing cats with greyhounds
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 17:22:52 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has any views on this...

At the rescue I volunteer at we got a message from a lady interested in homing an adult cat (none specific). She said she had a 5yr old son and was also hoping to adopt a rescue greyhound in the future.

Although I may be biased, alarm bells rang for me as last year a friends cat got killed by the 2 greyhounds that live next door to her  :'( 

I made the 'excuse' of sending her this link as it says they wouldn't re-home a greyhound with both a cat and a young child together. Any thoughts???

http://www.kentgreyhoundrescue.com/greyhounds-and-cats

Link to CatChat