Author Topic: Good evening (well it is here)  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzie and Tiggie
Re: Good evening (well it is here)
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 20:26:57 PM »
I have continued my comments on the office cats in the Cat Stories sub-forum:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 19:16:40 PM »
Thanks for letting me know. I'll finish my ironing and re-type it in a text editor, while it is fresh in my mind.
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 19:13:19 PM »
SADLY NO AND WE GET SO FRUSTRATED WITH STOLEN POSTS  :shify: :shify:

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 19:01:00 PM »
I just wrote a lot in the cat stories sub-forum, as I thought I was hijacking the newbies section, pressed the wrong button and lost the lot. Is there a draft facility here?

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 18:49:49 PM »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 18:45:45 PM »
And so they should be :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 18:19:46 PM »
I'll post some photos as the cats are on the staff photo board in reception. It made me laugh, when I went for my interview to see that the cats and guinea pigs are full members of staff.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 15:21:52 PM »
A SILVER TABBY AND A TORTIE  ;D ;D ;D

I TOO WOULD GIVE THEM OCCASIONAL MILK AS THEY OBVIOUSLY DO NOT HAVE A TOLERANCE PROBLEM.

MY CATS HATE CAT MILK!

YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY THE CHIEF ANIMAL LOVER AND AS SUE SAYS WE DO ALL KINDS ON HERE BUT THE SSSS ARE WARNED ABOUT AS MANY INCLUDING ME DONT LIKE  :-[

I HAVE AN 18YR CALICO TORTIE, A 15YR OLD LONG HAIRED BLACK AND WHITE AND A 6 YR OLD HORROR WHO IS THE NORTIEST CAT IN THE WORLD WHO IS A BIRMAN WIH STUNNING BLUE EYES CALLED LUPIN! BUT HE IS GORGEOUS. THERE IS A THREAD CALLED LETS SEE YOUR CATS WHICH IS NEW AND MANY OF OUR CATS ARE NOW POSTED ON THERE  ;D ;D

IF YOU HAVE ANY PICS OF KIZZIE AND TIGGIE WE WOULD LOVE TO ADMIRE. SILVER TABBIES ARE QUITE HARD TO COME BY.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 08:23:07 AM »
Please send Tiggie and Kizzie our very best and tell them we're really pleased to have them on Purrs    :)

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
Thanks you for the reply, Sue - it sounds as if you have got your hands full! I will definitely try a little evaporated milk as a treat.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »
Guinea Pigs - wee squeakers!    ;D  We like guinea pigs here too.  And we have some Hamster Afficionados, and reptile and fish lovers as well.   And dogs.  Chickens - we do those as well as Cats.   :)

Hearing about Kizzie and Tiggie makes me smile.  Sounds like they're both gorgeous cats, even if Tiggie is a little more feisty about life, insisting on things on her own terms.  We have three cats - a very chilledout, laid-back boy agred 3 and a bit, and two gurlies, who we've had a little over a year, and who are semi feral.   Barley is our little black-stockinged tabby, who has become quite a little cuddlebum, and loves to hang out with us, and Malt, who is still pretty flighty, although she (like Tiggie) will allow us to pet her when she's in the mood.  You can't pick her up though without getting badly scratched - it's her "fight or flight" instinct, which has not yet left her.  Doesn't matter, we love her anyway.  She's our problem child, but she's very sweet, and her problems are only as a result of their early weeks which were terrifying for them (dumped in a cardboard box in a garden in a rough area, and in the days before Guy Fawkes).

Given the age of Kizzie and Tiggie, I wouldn't worry too much about giving them the occasional treat of milk.  If they'll take cat milk then better and better, but if they won't, I wouldn't deprive them of it from time to time.

One of my old cats, who has been gone from us a long time now, used to love evaporated milk.  That's not great for cats on a regular basis either, but every now and then we'd let him have a small saucerful, and he loved it!  :)

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »
Thank you Lyn and Sonya. Btw, Paula, looking after the office cats is a good way of describing the situation. We also have guinea pigs and I look after them as well. They are a bit more complicated as they eat fresh veg and need cleaning out. The only dogs are those brought in by visitors, which is quite funny as the cats sit on the filing cabinets and look down on the dogs that have no idea they are being watched. Another thing about our office cats is that they do not like any disruption or disturbance at all, for example the cleaners going round with vacuum cleaners or the bins being emptied. Although they like being stroked (a lot), I think because they have seen people come and go, they do not like sitting on laps or being picked up. 

Sue P, thanks for your coments on getting a cat. I have colleagues who keep trying to encourage me to get one, but I have so far resisted. Kizzie and Tiggie are both 16-year-old girls. Kizzie was bought as a kitten with a little white cat that was run over in the car park. Apparently, white cats can be deaf, but they did not know at the time. Tiggie was bought from another litter and they are very different. Kizzie is a sweet little tortoise shell cat with white feet, that long-term staff tell me has always been a lovely cat. Tiggie is a silver tabby (therefore striped and hence the full name Tigger) with a permanent scowl and a tendency to bite or scratch. Whereas Kizzie likes human company for its own sake, Tiggy keeps her distance. Kizzie will spend almost the whole day with me, purrs all the time and lays on my computer keyboard when I am trying to work. Tiggie comes into the office and just stands or sits staring into space. She will take a little bit of stroking, but only so much. I understand cats that bite and scratch have an anxiety from when they were kittens, and probably were not weaned properly. Those of us who like cats, including the manager, love Tiggy but she is difficult to understand.

I was going to make this a separate post, but Tiggy likes milk. We all believed that cats should not be given milk because it is bad for them. However, Tiggy walks stiffly and was given some medicine, which the vet told us to put into milk. Since then she has developed a taste for it and certainly badgers me for a saucer or two. I am a believer that a little of what you fancy does you good, so I do give her some occasionally. James Bowen, in his famous Bob the Street Cat books, describes how he bought special cat milk for his little companion. I would be interested on views on giving cats milk here at Purrs.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 07:14:47 AM »
Hello Cloveart.  Welcome to Purrs.   :welcome:

Nuffin wrong at all with blokes loving cats.   ;D As well as those mentioned we also have Andrew (No 2) and Gordon.  And most of our OH's have been seduced into loving cats too.  So, you're a Cat Daddy - hold your head up loud and proud.

You don't have "no cats."  You have two cats, who from the sounds of things, you're devoted to.  I love that you let Kizzy and Tiggie sleep in the in-tray  ;) :evillaugh:

You may be able to take on a cat at home in the future too, but much depends on how comfortable you felt with making arrangements for their care if you're away. 

Some people have family members who are happy and available to cat-sit.  Before my Mum died, she used to look after our babies when we were away, and she treated them like Royalty (which of course they were  :) ).

Some of us use catteries, and some of us have pet sitters, but admittedly that does all add to the cost of necessary absences (and unnecessary absences too!)   I admit I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a cat away with me, although one of our members, Carol, has successfully taken her cats away on their narrow boat (she has a heart like a lion, in my book!  :evillaugh:).

Anyway, it's lovely to have you on board.   :welcome: :welcome:   What are Kizzy and Tiggie like?  I'm guessing Tiggie might be a tabby?  What are their characters like? 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 00:32:59 AM »
Nothing wrong with a man liking/loving cats as well as Andrew we have DaveD and Mark and Stuart, you are not alone ;D

Welcome and well done for looking after the 'office cats'

Paula xxx
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 22:39:01 PM »
Hi  :welcome: To Purrs  ;D ;D

Hmmmm!! uncool to like cats and talking to them as well,  NAHHHH! i just think it's shows what a caring animal lover you are  ;) :)

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 21:56:45 PM »
Hi and  :welcome:

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 21:01:18 PM »
Thank you, Gill.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 20:51:19 PM »
HIIIIIIIIIIIII  :welcome: TO PURRS  ;D ;D

WOW YOU ARE IN A MESS  :rofl: :rofl:

WE HAVE ANDREW ON PURRS WHO IS A MAN AND HAS TWO CATS KNOWN AS THE HOOLIES AND IS MAD ABOUT CATS...............I DONT THINK ITS UNCOOL AS A GUY TO LIKE CATS  ;D ;D  WE ALSO HAVE DAVE AND THERE IS MARK WHO LURKS, OK MEN ARE IN THE MINORITY HERE BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN A THING

INFACT THE OPPOSITE.

HOWEVER YOU MAKE A VERY GOOD POINT ABOUT HAVING TO GO AWAY AND WHO WOULD LOOK AFTER THE CATS AND THAT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM. ALTHOUGH YOU CAN GET CAT SITTERS WHO WILL COME IN AND FEED AND DO THE TRAYS AND STUFF.  SOME WILL EVEN COME AND STAY WHILE YOU ARE AWAY!

ANOTHER PROBLEM IS THE AGE OLD DEBATE ON INDOOR ONLY CATS AND ONES WHO GO OUT, THE NEED FOR CAT FLAPS, DANGERS OF ROADS ETC ETC.

SO GETTING A CAT HAS TO BE THOUGHT ABOUT VERY CAREFULLY ALONG WITHHOW YOU PLAN YOUR FUTURE LIFE.................AS THE SAYINGGOES...............A CAT IS NOT FOR CHRISTMAS BUT FOR LIFE.  CATS CAN LIVE TO OVER 20 YEARS OLD NOW SO A LONGTIME.

HOWEVER TAKINGALL OF THAT ASIDE WE HERE ALL ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT CATS AND LOVE TO SHOW THEM OFF, TALK ABOUT THEM ETC SO JOIN IN AND ENJOY  ;D ;D

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
Good evening (well it is here)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 20:36:35 PM »
Hello, I am a cat lover that does not own a cat. However, the place where I work has two cats. I feed, de-flea and brush them both, and I let one of them sleep in the intray of the office (which fascinates visitors). They also tend to follow me about like little dogs. I am lucky to have a manager who is a cat lover, as some staff object to the cats.

I talk to the cats, which some people think is mad, but I don't care.

Another thing is that I am a man and it is not cool for men to like cats, but I cannot resist them. You could call me a cat addict.

PS, the reason I do not own a cat is because I do not think it would be fair when I go to work. I also go away a lot and I do not know what I would do with the cat. If you take them with you, I think they can run off.

Link to CatChat