Author Topic: Kittens with stomach problems.  (Read 4564 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Kittens with stomach problems.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 21:01:51 PM »
DIFFICULT TO KNOW. I suppose it will be a case of eliminating things.

Archie had a lot of tummy problems and tested positive for giaradia along with a nasty bacteria infection. Once he was like a different cat and it has made such a difference ;D

Hope whatever it is can be diagnosed asap :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 20:52:26 PM »
Canigest past is good.  I got mine from www.viovet.co.uk

THis is a good probiotic. I got one from my vet but its much cheaper to get on line. Its for dogs and cats.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 20:53:51 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 17:38:31 PM »
Has she tried a single protein chicken cat food such as ropocat chicken?

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 17:34:33 PM »
Thank you, I will pass the suggestions on to her. I'm pretty sure they haven't done a stool sample test but will check with her.

Susanne, they are fine with the chicken and rice but have been on it for quite a few weeks now. So she want to add some proper food but as soon as she does they have problems again. If they are fine on chicken does that mean it's not likely to be giardia. It seems funny that they both have it though.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 17:06:12 PM »
Definitely get a stool sample tested but if that's clear and the vet thinks it's definitely food related I would suggest ditching the rice and sticking with chicken plus juices fora few days. They don't need rice. Nit balanced long term but fine short term. If that doesn't sort the problem out they really need to go back to the vet. Unless they are intolerant to chicken (possible) , they shouldn't have a problem with plain, cooked chicken.  If it's food related, you need to find out what food or foods are causing the problem and the best way to do that is by feeding single proteins in an elimination diet. Ideally you start with a novel protein that's never been eaten before eg kangaroo (zooplus sell kangaroo single protein food) for 4-6 weeks and then introduce new proteins one by one. I have been doing this with Mosi although I did start with chicken as I felt he was ok with that. I've now switched to doing it with raw meat so he gets meat in its simplest form with nothing added. Its worked wonders. I do add a supplement to make it complete. Doesn't have to be raw of course - cooked meat could be given.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 16:45:17 PM »
Maybe ask for a stool sample to be sent off for checking? Just in case it is something weird and wonderful. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 13:01:09 PM »
it would probably be a good place to start, giardia can be dealt with easily but is picked up from contaminated water, which living in a hutch is quite likely

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 12:58:28 PM »
No I don't think he's tested them. They were on antibiotics for a while. They have been back to the vets about 3 times. As soon as she trys to add other food to their diet they have upset stomachs again. I will tell her about the royal canin thanks.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »
I would suggest RC sensitive too, and other high protein, non processed meats (though a raw diet can be difficult to introduce).

Slightly different, but when we got Tess ( our last dog) she had dreadful digestive issues due to having been fed an incomprehensibly unhealthy diet from being weaned.  It took us two years to get it sorted, with various types of food (ultimately Chappie proving to be the best food for her - not appropriate for cats though).

It can be so difficult to pinpoint food intolerances, but if parasitic infections have been ruled out, then it seems to be the most likely cause.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 12:45:33 PM »
what has the vet suggested? I presume they've been tested for giardia and stuff?  my Bengal had a bad stomach for a while, I used the royal canin sensitive diet and that worked very well

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
Kittens with stomach problems.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »
My sister has two beautiful young cats. She rescued them last summer from a farm when they were kittens. They were being kept in a rabbit hutch. Both of the cats have stomach problems that the vet hasn't manage to solve. They are eating just chicken and rice with a few biscuits on the vets advise. But as you can imagine my sister is worried they aren't getting a healthy diet. I've just suggested trying a probiotic. Anyone have any ideas? I think the problems have occurred because they weren't wormed when kittens probably interbreed as well. They seem very happy and healthy apart from their tummies.

Link to CatChat