Author Topic: Dilated pupils  (Read 5886 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Dilated pupils
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 14:31:54 PM »
How is Sky doing? :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 15:48:22 PM »
Hoping that the vet visit goes well.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 14:12:11 PM »
LOADS OF GOOD LUCK AND HOPE THAT SHE IS FINE AND THE NEW VERSION IS BETTER FOR SKY  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 13:18:44 PM »
Poor Sky will really hate me - taking her back tomorrow. I've asked if they will change her insulin as she was so much better not taking any.  Initially they were okay doing it but then had another phone call asking if she has had blood pressure checked recently as her pupils are still dilated (she is okay in really bright light).  So she is back in tomorrow for more blood profiling and blood pressure check to make sure there is nothing else underlying before she is switched to Prozinc.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 19:43:24 PM »
We use canin insulin and have never had any issues with the late 3 or current 1 but we don't test every day and they eat normal food like the others as we have done with the 4 Hyper T's would be way to complicated with our numbers to feed separately as we free feed when we are at work so there is always food down

Thanks Liz, I don't free feed any more as that is how she ended up the size of a small house  :rofl: I wouldn't test either if I had more than one - and I may stop in future when she gets a little more regulated.  She's just all over the place at the moment!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 17:32:35 PM »
We use canin insulin and have never had any issues with the late 3 or current 1 but we don't test every day and they eat normal food like the others as we have done with the 4 Hyper T's would be way to complicated with our numbers to feed separately as we free feed when we are at work so there is always food down
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 16:22:20 PM »
Liz, which insulin do you use?  someone has suggested that the caninsulin she is on may be to harsh for her.

Since she had a couple of days without insulin her numbers are all over the place - but ironically she has been much happier in herself and more social so there may be something in the theory that it is too harsh.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 09:35:37 AM »
Sending tons of love for Sky and for Misa.

I was asking my stepdaughter how she got on with one of the cats she had which was diabetic from the age of 7.  He lived for three years with daily injections, but she said initially it was very hit and miss, and they had to rely on their own observations and instincts more often than not.

Am glad at least Sky's pupils have returned to normal.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 22:34:04 PM »
MISA HAS A BLOOD TEST ON FRIDAY SO THAT WILL SHOW HOW HE IS DOING.

MY FEELINGS RANGE FROM OH GOOD TO OH DEAR I AM NOTE SURE!

THE HYPER T GROUP IS AS GREAT AS EVERYONE SAYS BUT VERY HARD TO ACTUALLY NAVIGATE THE SITE SADLY.

MISA DOESNT SEEM TO BE SO HUNGRY, HE HAS STOPPED THE SHOUTING AND TODAY HAS DECIDED TO EAT CAT FOOD RATHER THAN THAT BORING CHICKEN.

I AGREE WITH THE GROUP THAT THE STARTING DOSE OF MEDS WOULD HAVE BEEN FAR TOO HIGH FOR MISA SO HE GETS HALF AS THEY RECOMMEND AND HOPE THE TEST RESULTS SHOW ITS WORKING.

HE HAS ANOTHER TEST ON 23 DEC WHICH WILL BE THE LAST ONE BEFORE GOING TO BRISTOL.

BIT WORRIED ABOUT HIS BACK LEGS AS HE IS SLEEPING A LOT AND GETTING STIFF. THINK HE IS CATCHING UP ON ALL THE LOST SLEEP BEFORE MEDS STARTED.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 21:30:34 PM »
There is a diabetic dried food is she doesn't like the wet stuff, our Donald is great on 2 and 2 and putting weight back on he gets wet and dried food and even with 3 teeth gets through the biscuits :)

Here's hoping that things stabilise again
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 20:32:39 PM »
I'm a member of an amazing feline diabetes forum who are all helpful - would be lost without it and Sky could easily be dead!  I wish she would react in the way I expect her to react to the medication - very selfish of her not to!  :rofl:

How's Misa doing?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 20:25:04 PM »
i agree and vets can be soooooooooooooooo set in their ways!

wondering if there is a yahoo group dealing with this like there is for hyper T.

the hyper t one is great and over many years have dealt with info on 1000s of cats and more than any vet will see in a life time

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 19:55:27 PM »
I wish I had a vet who understands diabetes. Think I will have a phone round on Monday.   Tested her bloods tonight and is really low - not in hypo territory but not far off.  Can't understand it! 

I've persuaded my sister to test her before injecting when I'm away.  She obviously needs insulin buy no idea how much and how often!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 18:50:56 PM »
maybe every other day and at a time that suits you best  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 08:56:59 AM »
Had to give up on being diet controlled.  she was okay without inuslin for 36 hours then her numbers elevated slighty at 48 hours and significantly at 60/72 so need a rethink.

Cats!

At least I got one lie in!  :naughty:

She may end up on just a 1/2 unit once a day. She hs been better in herself without the insulin so i do think she has been getting too much - just need to get her on a schedule that works.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 17:01:28 PM »
Sending everything that she can be diet controlled, so much stress for you too :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 16:45:04 PM »
GREAT NEWS AND HOPE SHE CAN BE CONTROLLED WITH DIET, SOUNDS LIKE SHE IS ONLY JUSTB DIABETIC.

TROUBLE IS CATS ARE SUCH A PAIN WHEN IT COMES TO EATING IN MY EXPERIENCE!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 15:58:10 PM »
that is good news, would be great if you could control with just diet

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 15:46:47 PM »
She is okay - her eyes are much better.....unfortunately they improved AFTER I had taken her to the vet  :rofl:

They have no idea really - there is a possibilty it is cataracts but vet said diabetic cats don't normally get them. The other posibility is that she was hypo after Monday's dose and whilst had no other symptoms it could have taken a couple of days for her eyes to repair. She can see fine and everything worked as it should.

The upshot is she is to come off her insulin for a while and see if she can maintain her lowish numbers without assistance, just controling with food. Sod's law she doesn't want her pate at the moment but she isn't going to have an option - she will have to eat it. I still have to test her bloods to make sure she doesn't increase but no more insulin. Woohoo. She may have to restart it but at the moment we are stopping it.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 06:41:12 AM »
How is she this morning? 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 23:29:17 PM »
SENDING LOADS OF GOOD VIBES  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 22:38:08 PM »
Thanks gill, she can still see and her eyes did react to light - not as much as normal.  Too main causes seem to be high blood pressure and kidney disease.  I have an inkling her test for kidneys was slightly elevated when they tested in September so no doubt they will want to steal more blood of her.

Hope I wake up tomorrow and her eyes are back to normal so don't have to take her again.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 21:42:13 PM »
MAYBE STARTING TO GO BLIND?

KOCKA WAS LIKE THIS AND SHE HAD DETACHING UMMMMMM RETINAS I THINK AND THEY WOULD FLAP SO SHE COULD SEE AND THEN LOSE SIGHT.

IS SHE WALKING AROUND OK?

I THINK SHE PROBABLY WILL NEED TO SEE THE VET, I WAS LUCKY COS MINE IN LONDON HAD AN EYE EXPERT WHO USED TO COME IN EVERY WEEK.

KOCKAS WAS CAUSED BY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND SHE HAD TINY TABS CRUSHED INTO AD DIET WHICH SHE ATE IN BITS OFF MY FINGER.

KOCKA HAD MANY PROBS GOING ON AT THE SAME TIME AND WAS ABOUT 19 AT THE TIME..............IT HAPPENED QUITE SUDDENLY.............THINK DIABETES COULD CAUSE THIS BUT DEPENDS HOW LOMG BEFORE MEDS STARTED MAYBE.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Dilated pupils
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 20:56:35 PM »
Another worry wart question :) Sky has really dilated pupils and has done for over 24 hours now - they make her look like an angry cat (without the ear flattening!).  They briefly went a little smaller earlier  - not to her normal eyes but about 3/4 as big - but are back to being large again.

She is eating okay (ish) - fine in the morning, okay at lunch and then not much at tea. Her sugars are nice and low and she hasn't had insulin as worried it will send her hypo.  She was a tiny bit sick last night but it was bile.  She does seem "off" but she is responsive - she is just a little more lethargic than usual.

Anyone any ideas other - I'll ring the vet tomorrow but really don't want another trip.

Link to CatChat