Author Topic: Cosequin - anyone use this?  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cosequin - anyone use this?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 21:43:13 PM »
YES WOULD ;OVE TO KNOW HOW IT GOES ESPECIALLY HOW WITH TABBY.

UNFORTUNATELY NONE OF MINE WILL EAT MUCH OF ANYTHING!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 19:54:46 PM »
oh thats a coincidence!! Yes I bought some off Viovet, paid £57 for 150 capsules, and Moses who is the fussiest cat in the world, we thought might be tricky for him to eat food wiht it but we give him raw lamb chopped up as a treat, and I sprinkled a whole capsule on it, there seemed to be loads, and Moses didnt even notice till he had licked the plate clean. The raw lamb absorbed the powder, so he now has had a good few days dosage. Tabby also ate her food with it sprinkled on but she always eats, whatever you put in it :evillaugh:  Its early days yet, but will let you know if it makes any improvement. I also got some more Loxicam for Tabby as her arthritis is quite bad.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 14:10:42 PM »
JUST HAD COSEQUIN RECOMMENDED FOR MISA BY HYPER T GROUP!!

HAD NEVER HEARD OF IT UNTIL YOU MENTIONED IT.

I HAVE JUST ORDER A SMALL PACK FROM

https://www.petmeds.co.uk/search/?text=cosequin+sprinkle

BUT DUE IT BEING ESSENTIAL FOR HIM TO GET HYPER T MEDS WILL NOT BE TRYING IT YET.

VERY EXPENSIVE TO BBUY THE 150 DOSE UNLESS YOU KNOW THEY WILL TAKE IT BUT THIS TREATMENT HAS STUNNING REVIEWS!  I WAS NEEDING A COMPANY IN UK  COS CANT SIGN FOR THINGS AND SPOKE TO COMPANY AND AS THIS IS A SUPPLEMENT SHOULD GO OUT NORMAL POST.

IF YOU CAN SIGN FOR STUFF THE BIG PACK IS CHEAPER ON AMAZON BUT ACCORDING TO A REVIEWER DOES NOT GIVE THE FULL STRENTH VERSION...............I COULD NOT SEE THAT BUT THE FULL STRENGTH VERSION IS IN THE LINK. WILL NOT HAVE POSTAGE COS OF COST SO PROB CHEAPER THAN AMAZON AND SENT FROM UK.

CERTAINLY THINK ITS WORTH A GO HEATHER.

OH IT APPARENTLY HAS CHICKEN OR FISH FLAVOURING IN IT! YOU OPEN CAPSULE AND SPRINKLE ON FOOD, SO NO PILLING.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 19:58:35 PM »
Moses does have kidney problems - he was in recently with a UTI but the vet never mentioned trying him on Loxicam, but maybe as his kidney levels were very high due to his UTI? I took in a urine sample of his last week after he had antibiotics and his UTI had gone. he is my mum's cat so I will have a word with her about asking next time he goes and what they can suggest. Thanks all.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 19:19:19 PM »
POOR MOSES AND WOULD GIVE HIM METACAM TOO, MAY BE IN BAD PAIN OR COULD BE ONSET DEMENTIA.

MY VET SAID THAT UNLESSS A CAT ALREADY HAD KIDNEY PROBS METACAM WOULDNT CAUSE THEM BUT I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THAT

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 19:07:14 PM »
Her kidneys were tested in September when she was in the vets for a day with a nasty tummy bug, and they were fine. me and the vet were surprised as she is on pills for thyroid and also Semintra for her kidneys as results were high in the past.  I will keep her on the Loxicam I think, as she is doing well on it, but our other oldish cat Moses is 18 is also arthritic, so we will try him on the Cosequin.  he howls quite a lot, although he is quite deaf now, but we know he has bone spurs on his back from a RTA when we first had him 17 years ago.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 15:13:04 PM »
I AGREE WITH ROSELLA AND AT 21 TABBY SHOULD HAVE A PAIN FREE REMAINDER OF HER LIFE. SOMETIMES AS AGREED WITH MY OTHER VET PAINFREE HAS TO TAKE PRIORITY OVER A COUPLE OF YEARS EXTRA.

MY DUCHA WAS IN THIS SITUATION AND METACAM IT WAS, HE WENT TO THE BRIDGE AT 18 SADLY BUT THATS IS A LONG LIFE EVEN NOW FOR A BIRMAN.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 13:58:41 PM »
Has Tabby's kidney function been tested?  I think that would be the major thing that would influence my decision on medication.  I read fairly recently that it takes quite some time for metacam to affect kidney function.

Cosequin is a supplement not pain relief as such.  I vaguely recall looking into various supplements for arthritis problems many years ago and green lipped muscle and glucosemine were popular alternatives to pain killers but effects tended to take quite some time to kick in.

I would have thought that a cat that has already reached the stage of needing pain relief for arthritis is likely to need something stronger than a supplement but I am no vet.  I think I have used cosequin in the past for feline cystitis problems but have since moved on to Yureleve on vet advice when cystitis rears it's head in our house.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:18:55 AM »
I've got a feeling mark used to

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 22:14:06 PM »
yep loxicam is Metacam :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 22:05:07 PM »
IS LOXICAM THE OTHER NAME FOR METACAM?

NEVER HEARD OF COSEQUIN SORRY

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
Cosequin - anyone use this?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 19:23:29 PM »
My old arthritic cat Tabby is 21 and has been on Loxicam for a few months.  One of my friend's highly recommends Cosequin for pain relief/arthritic cats and says its much better for cats and doesn't affect the kidneys like Loxicam. Has anyone used this and is it any good? thanks very much  :Luv:

Link to CatChat