Author Topic: THE NEXT DAFT QUESTION ABOUT MEASURING A CAT!  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: THE NEXT DAFT QUESTION ABOUT MEASURING A CAT!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 16:22:52 PM »
Crikey Liz, I bet that was a noisy journey!!  :Crazy:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 16:11:17 PM »
A Large show cat carrier maybe the way forward but the are a lot heavier and when adding in the cat may cause you issues - Star our 8kg NFC can turnaround in his and standup but the catbox fills the boot of my Kuga the can be bought on line very easily

Note that a confined space on a journey of more than a couple of hours is sometimes better fro the cat along with Vetbed in the carrier should there be an accident - speaking from ecperience of moving 37 cats on a journey of over 4 hours from our old home to the new one so am not talking through one so to speak
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 14:54:25 PM »
Yes, an assistant would be a help.   :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 14:25:28 PM »
THANK YOU SUE THAT VIDEO WAS VERY GOOD AND MISA IS NEARLY THE SIZE OF THAT DOG !!

ACTUALLY NEEDS THE SAME SIZE OF CAGE............CURRENT ONE 21INCHES LONG AND PROBALY ONLY SLIGHTLY LESS HEIGHT.

THINK ANY COMPROMISE WILL HAVE TO BE IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF CARRIER AND THINK I HAVE SEEN ONE ON PET PLANET LIKE THE ONE IN THE VIDEO.

SO MAYBE WILL HAVE TO MOVE FROM CAGE TO CARRIER AS LONG AS THE DOOR IS BIG ENOUGH!

THINK THIS IS PROGRESS BUT WOULD LIKE AN ASST TO MEASURE LOL

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 13:52:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj8qiEJH7e4

This link might help Gill.

Maybe you will have to compromise.  The main thing is to get Misa there safely.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 13:48:40 PM »
THAT IS TRUE DAVE BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO MEASURE MISA TO GET ESTIMATE OF HEIGHT.

HAVE JUST SPOKEN TO MANUFACTORS OF CAGE THAT I WAS THINKING OF BUT NO GOOD COS OF THE WAY THE DOOR OPENS AND SIZE GRRRRRRRRRRRR

THIS RATE I AM GONNA HAVE TO KEEP TAPING MISAS CIRRENT CAGE TOGETHER FOR ALL THREE  :( :(

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 13:39:33 PM »
A larger than necessary carrier can be made to fit a cat that likes a smaller space by adding some bedding, though it could get messy if the cat is of a nervous disposition.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 13:29:54 PM »
I KNOW MISA VERY WELL IN A CARRIER AND HE LIKES TO SIT UP AS DO SASA AND LUPIN.

MISA CANT CROUCH COS OF HIS BACK LEGS AND LUPIN WHO HAS BECOME TOO TALL FOR HIS CARRIER WAS VERY UPSET WHEN WE WENT TO THE VETS BECAUSE HE COULDNT SIT UP LIKE HE ALWAYS HAS.

SO I NEED A CARRIER WHERE THEY CAN MOVE AROUND STRETCH OUT AND SIT UP

MAYBE ITS WHAT YOUR CATS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN USED TO BUT MINE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO SIT UP AND A 3HR JOURNEY IS SERIUOSLY MORE THAN 5MINS!

OUR TRIP TO THE VET IS AN HOUR IN EACH DIRECTION IF THE TRAFFIC IS BAD AND WAS PROBLEMATIC WITH LUPIN.

SASA OF COURSE HAS TO BE PURRSUADED TO GO IN THE CARRIER SO A BIG CARRIER WITH HOPEFULLY A WHOLE END WIDE DOOR IS NECESSARY.

What Cat Carrier Size is Best?

Generally, a carrier should be one and a half times the size of your cat. It should give her enough room to stand up and turn around. If you’re buying a carrier for a kitten, she’ll be growing pretty fast, so get a regular sized carrier that you think will be appropriate for when she reaches her adult size.

MISAS BIG CARRIER IS INLINE WITH THIS! HE IS A VERY BIG CAT AND LUPIN HAS JUST STRETCHED OUT IN ONE I AM HOPING WILL BE HIS NEW CARRIER AND KNOW THAT MISA CANT LIE IN IT WITHOUT HIS HEAD RESTING ON THE EDGE WHERE THE DOOR GOES AND NO WAT WOULD HE BE ABLE TO STAND UP AND TURN AROUND.ACTUALLY NOT SURE IT WILL BE BIG ENOUGH FOR LUPIN TO DO THIS EITHER! THIS WAS NAPOLEONS OLD CARRIER BUT HE WAS MUCH SMALLER THAN LUPIN.

WHAT THAT ARTICLE DOESNT SAY IS THAT CATS WHO DO NOT LIKE BEING CONFINED NEED SPACE OR THEY PANIC COS THEY ARE TRAPPED.

SO THE QUESTION IS STILL OPEN, THANKS SUE

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 13:06:10 PM »
Ours have always normally crouched once they got over the kitten stage.  Given our vet is only a 5 minute drive away, that's no hardship.

Am also thinking that sometimes a bigger carrier isn't always what a cat likes.

Have you seen this Gill?

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/choosing-the-right-carrier-size/

Have you had a discussion with Gareth about transporting Misa?  Vets are used to such enquiries, given they're often asked to advise on transporting animals nationally and internationally, and it may be helpful to get Gareth's opinion on the size of carrier if you can, as he knows Misa.   :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 12:46:05 PM »
not sure any of ours could sit up in the carrier - I suppose they just find a comfortable position that they fit into??

• Purrrrrfect Cat
THE NEXT DAFT QUESTION ABOUT MEASURING A CAT!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 12:42:40 PM »
I AM TRYING TO WORK OUT IF MISA WILL BE ABLE TO SIT UP IN A NEW CARRIER BEFORE I BUY IT AS VERY EXPENSIVE.

I CANT GET HIM TO SIT UP.........GROAN...THE ONE TIME HE WAS SITTING HE STARTED PLAYING WITH THE MEASURE..............SIGH

SO ONLY OPTION IS TO MEASURE HIM LYING DOWN BUT FROM WHERE TO WHERE?

I THINK WHEN HE IS LYING DOWN HIS HEAD IS HIGHER THAN IT WOULD BE SITTING DOWN COS HE STRETCHES HIS NECK OUT.

I AM RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS ON CARRIERS BUT THIS ONE IS TOUCH AND GO BOTH HEIGHT AND WIDTH..........WHY DO THEY THINK ALL CATS ARE SMALL AND WILL LIE DOWN FOR A 3HR CAR JOURNEY!

I AM NOT EVEN SURE LUPIN COULD SIT UP IN IT BUT HE PROBABLY DOEST SIT MUCH TALLER THAN MISA.

MEASURUNG LUPIN NO EASIER COS IF IT MOVES HE WILL TRY AND EAT/CATCH IT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THE DEAD FLY WILL TESTIFY TO THAT AN HOUR AGO!

Link to CatChat