Author Topic: Kitten Food Help  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Kitten Food Help
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 15:35:01 PM »
Me too, Felix and Whiskas wet kitten food and Whiskas complete dry. I had to keep Pirate on kitten food for longer as he had a bad start as a stray and he needed the extra nutrition.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 19:29:56 PM »

My two, Astrophe and Zoonie were Fe on Whiskas kitten and Felix kitten, 3 packets a day each plus James Wellbeloved kitten dry, Royal Canin kitten dry and any other kitten food they could get their paws on.

Offline Trace

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Dre & Ren
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 17:02:07 PM »
:rofl: :rofl:  My kindle always auto corrects "Moray" to Nora so he sometimes is referred to as "Nora" bless him.   ;)

lol Nora - bless!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 16:47:54 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:  My kindle always auto corrects "Moray" to Nora so he sometimes is referred to as "Nora" bless him.   ;)

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 14:30:56 PM »
Andrew?  I am prone to mis-types or "triping" as I call it.   :innocent: :evillaugh:  Excuse - I are old an me eyes not so good.....  ;)

it made me giggle a lot when I read it - I am going to call him Andrew when he is naughty!! I had a dwarf hamster called Emley about 4 years ago and my stepdughter who was 6 at the time kept talking about someone called Martin and on occassion - Fat Martin!! this went on for a while and when I asked her who it was, she said the hamster - when I told her that his name wasn't martin nor fat martin - she quite matterafactly told me "it is when I'm talking to my friends and toys about him"!!! when I read Andrew - it reminded me of that conversation!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 14:13:14 PM »
Andrew?  I am prone to mis-types or "triping" as I call it.   :innocent: :evillaugh:  Excuse - I are old an me eyes not so good.....  ;)

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 13:48:43 PM »
again thank you ladies - your advice in invaluable, the babygate looks great - I think I will get that for the lounge.  am going to go tonight and get a regular one and put it on the door of the room where they have been staying and keep their bed, food and a litter tray in there..

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 13:14:47 PM »
Souffle's right - they grow so fast that taking plenty of piccies is a must - I can scarce believe how tiny ours were when we brought them home.  And Moray - well he just growed and growed!!  :evillaugh:

Ah - Andrew will be one to watch then.  Sound like a righ little Adventurer already.  Wait - so does Lorenzo - they'll be egging each other on to greater and ever more daring feats.  Poor Missy.....  :doh: :doh:  Some "baby gates" are actually made with small cat doors incorporated in them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bettacare-Effective-Barrier-Extensions-Available/dp/B0017PICQG/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1477656854&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+gate+with+cat+flap

Hope that link works - it looks quite large.....  :shify:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 13:10:48 PM »
I'd agree with feeding whatever suits their tummies and gives you happy, active and healthy kittens. Mine are fed on Whiskas and have always been. They are well grown and perfectly healthy as have been generations of cats fed on the tinned foods. I would go with what your heart says suits them and enjoy them as kittens because they grow far too quickly! Looking forward to pics :)
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »
thank you all for the great advice! and SueP - the incident with our galleried landing i mentioned on my first post - was of a similar vein to yours - Andre jumped off of it - onto the wooden floor and gave his little nose a bash - he's OK, was running around again within minutes.. today they have decided that their days of being in the spare room until they are big enough to roam the house are done! as soon as I opened the door, they bolted - not even a chance to put them on the litter tray!! they also like to meow very loudly (so cute) at any closed doors they are presented with... so I am off to buy a baby gate so I can stop the very greedy hound from stealing their food - thats happened already today, and create a safe place where the dog can't get them (not that she'd hurt them deliberately) if they need it! they house is now quite obviously theirs - I am just the mortgage wench!!

going to take more pics at the weekend
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:51:12 PM by Trace »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
I'm with Kay on this one - what they like is generally what they do well on, even if it doesn't meet our own expectations. 

Just as some hoomans have to eat restricted diets, so do some cats.  And just as some of us hoomans can thrive on "junk food" so do some cats. 

I think the fact the boys trotty bottoms have cleared up is a good indicator, but then again, quite often when you bring a new cat or kitten home, any change of diet will upset their tums a bit.

Don't take it too much to heart.  You're doing a great job, you're really caring about your new family additions and doing your darndest to make sure they get the best possible start in life now they're with you. 

And if you weren't worrying, you wouldn't be a normal kitten parent.   :evillaugh:

Whjen we had one of our previous kittens, Ross, I thought we'd "kitten proofed" our house really well. 

Until the day he fell from the top of the landing on to the sofa in the lounge below   :doh: :doh:  I don't mind telling you my heart stopped in the instant I saw his little roly-poly body fall, yet he just took it in his stride, righted himself and scampered away like nothing major had just happened.  Whereas I was in bits.  :innocent:

You're doing well.  More Photos, pleeze?   :naughty:

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 22:02:46 PM »
Thank you all. They've been wormed so I know they're ok on that front. I do give them some wellbeloved dry in with the wet food which they really like and I've weighed them too before their dinner - they've both put on over 100g since this time last week so something must be working x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 20:21:51 PM »
Can't say I've had a problem feeding kittens high protein foods. It is, after all, what they are designed to eat. Some can be high in offal though and that is what tends to cause the runs in some cats, especially liver.  A change in diet can also be the cause.  Happy Kitty Company and zooplus do a good range of high protein foods. Just avoid the ones higher in offal if you have sensitive gums.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 18:28:52 PM »
loads of us on here feed our cats on Felix, which is pretty much the same as Whiskas - the best food is what they like and what they thrive on, not what the food police tell you you should be giving your kittens

having said that, cheap supermarket dry food like Whiskas and Go-Cat is a bit on the McDonalds spectrum, and best avoided

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 18:24:02 PM »
I have 5 kittens here 4 ferals Arren, Ariel, Fergie and Cole and my newest Bengal baby River and mine eat Whiskas, Felix both normal and as good as it looks with Royal Canin Persian kitten which is great for them, along with James Wellbeloved and Applaws kitten food both wet and dry and we have had some issues but perhaps worming the kittens with Panacur maybe required as they are usually done at 5,8, and 13 weeks so they may have friends which can cause runny bums even when dried up they may still have them]

Panacur comes in Liquid and granules
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Trace

• Kitten
Kitten Food Help
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 17:40:18 PM »
Hi all,

am still a newbie to forum so please forgive me if this is the wrong section to post my question..

I am after some experienced advice - I have the two new fur babies - Andre and Lorenzo and before I got them, I researched the best types of food for them - high protein etc etc,  however, up until 2 days go, I have been feeding them James Wellbeloved wet food and before that, Hi Life tempt me (50% meat - no derivatives)- the poor babies constantly had runny bottoms, they were constantly pooing (I mentioned on my first post about pooing behind the TV - this only happened when they had the diarrhoea) and the smell was like nothing I have ever smelled before and they were constantly hungry - 4 pouches each a day they ended up on and they were only 8 weeks old - it was literally like one in one out - my life last week revolved around feeding and cleaning and emptying litter trays  -  i am going to be honest here and say that I googled what I could do and the common theme was that the high protein foods were possibly too rich for their 8 week old tummies, so - I have put them on Wiskas kitten pouches, the diarrhoea has stopped, their pooh is what I would consider to be normal - not only in how it looks but how it smells and how many times a day they are "going" - my worry and concern (this is actually keeping me awake at night and I am already frazzled - have burst into tears twice today :-() am I feeding my babies the equivalent of McD's every day? and if so, can anyone offer me some sound advice - with the exception of a raw diet - this is something we considered for our dog an decided against - thank you in advance and apologies for war and peace above - Trace x

Link to CatChat