Author Topic: Good afternoon from another newbie  (Read 11989 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Good afternoon from another newbie
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2016, 17:50:57 PM »
My Mum still tells people how when we were in our local shop across the road in Street, she refused to buy Nesquik and I said to the lady behind the counter (it was all behind counters then, 1967), "That's alright, she only lets us have it with water anyway.", total fabrication, but my poor Mum was mortified :evillaugh:. She actually used to liquidise it with milk and raw eggs and it was lovely, what a little sod I was :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Trace

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Dre & Ren
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »
Hi Trace,

I had an EBT when my eldest was about 5, I love them even if they are grotesque in a gorgeous way :Luv:, I called him Fugly, she would talk to people (still hasn't stopped :evillaugh:) and say "My dog is called fugly, that's short for............. :shify:." "Quickly interrupted by "T....., you aren't allowed to say that word.":naughty: :rofl:

He was a proper bullseye EBT, unfortunately my ex's idea of disciplining a dog was somewhat the same as a wife. He walked in and Fugly cowered and weed, so I returned him to the breeder, it wasn't fair on the dog, the cats bullied him as well, but he never stopped trying to make friends with them, he was so sweet and loving (and bouncy :evillaugh:)#

Your furry family is lovely, and those paws are just so kissable..............but not fresh from the litter tray :rofl:

lol Paula - kids are great eh! My youngest (24 now) said some right corkers when she was little..   :Crazy:

Missy has a bullseye - when we are out with her, people (usually the older generation) stop us and we usually get "oooooh, isn't he beautiful - a reet oliver twist dog" (to be said in a broad yorkshire accent - we live in Halifax)- we smile and nod - SHE wears a pink diamante collar...

weirdly, my ex was very similar sounding - Missy behaved exactly the same as Fugly - fortunately I got out of that one and kept the dog - she now dotes on the the good husband!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 21:12:26 PM »
Hi Trace,

I had an EBT when my eldest was about 5, I love them even if they are grotesque in a gorgeous way :Luv:, I called him Fugly, she would talk to people (still hasn't stopped :evillaugh:) and say "My dog is called fugly, that's short for............. :shify:." "Quickly interrupted by "T....., you aren't allowed to say that word.":naughty: :rofl:

He was a proper bullseye EBT, unfortunately my ex's idea of disciplining a dog was somewhat the same as a wife. He walked in and Fugly cowered and weed, so I returned him to the breeder, it wasn't fair on the dog, the cats bullied him as well, but he never stopped trying to make friends with them, he was so sweet and loving (and bouncy :evillaugh:)

Your furry family is lovely, and those paws are just so kissable..............but not fresh from the litter tray :rofl:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2016, 17:33:02 PM »
What a lovely photo, it's great to know that Missie is starting to accept the little ones as part of her family  ;D

I'm fond of EBTs too, they usually have such great characters. It's almost as if they know they are *whisper* not the prettiest */whisper* and make up for it with their characters. Mind you, I'm fond of many dogs. I can't have one so make a fuss of any/every dog I see when I am out!

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2016, 11:15:30 AM »
Aw Trace - what a a fabulous photograph.   :Luv: :Luv:  Missy's gorgeous.  I do like EBTs - it's the roman nose thing.  I have a thing about roman noses on animals.   :evillaugh:

The girls are Malt and Barley.  But of course they have nicknames, like The Velociraptors when they were little.  And Malty-Minx, and Barley-Gurley.   ;)

We love ebt noses too - her nose has squared off as she's got older but you can see she has ebt in her when she's stood. Cute nicknames for your girlies!!  - ours were called the stink babies when they had poorly tummies (my hubby still calls them this) . Now they're called little kitteny-boos! Wtf that came from - no idea!! What do they turn us into!!!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2016, 09:22:09 AM »
Aw Trace - what a a fabulous photograph.   :Luv: :Luv:  Missy's gorgeous.  I do like EBTs - it's the roman nose thing.  I have a thing about roman noses on animals.   :evillaugh:

The girls are Malt and Barley.  But of course they have nicknames, like The Velociraptors when they were little.  And Malty-Minx, and Barley-Gurley.   ;) 

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »
They grow into you heart so quickly, don't they?

When we got the Gurlies, it was this time last year.  At the time of course, we were deeply upset at losing our beloved Tinks, who was himself a young cat just coming into his prime, added to which I was recovering from a serious illness and was far from being my usual self.  It coloured the way I viewed the girls initially, but I welcomed the distraction of having two small kittens to care for, and keeping Moray convinced that he remained very much at the centre of our Universe. 

But when I look back now, with the wisdom of the first year behind us, I can scarcely see the point at which they'd grown inexorably into our lives, even though they were cranky and quirky, difficult and challenging (Moray thought so too  :evillaugh:).

Now, they're healthy (please the Gods they stay that way!)  and happy young cats.  They play.  Their tails are held high like little periscopes instead of being tucked under or held low.  They don't flinch away from a gentle stroke or a head rub.

You have so much enjoyment ahead of you with Andre and Lorenzo.  Keep taking those piccies.   :)  Are their tummies settling now?

Hi Sue,
what a lovely post, I hope you are well now too, what are the girlies called?  - tummys are well and truly settled, I had to do another food change,  they were only eating the jelly and gravy from the wiskas i tried a multitude of things to get them to eat the pieces but nope! after research (I google everything) and some pretty amazing reviews, I tried the Lidl Coshida Junior pate trays - has the same composition nutritionally as wiskas etc - they love it, the smell doesn't make you want to throw up, their bowls are empty when they should be, they get really excited at feeding times, they even like the dry (I leave a bowl of this down all the time and they love it - I also give little pieces instead of bought treats when they do something good - like look at me lol!   and best of all the litter trays are being used and are easier to clean.

I did have another progress milestone last night - my 10 year old staff / EBT cross Missy , licked lorenzo
(in a good way - not basting him) after he tried nuzzling her tummy.. and allowed him to sleep next to her - she's been getting up and moving when he goes near her up till last night....  pic attached (she sleeps tucked behind my hubby every evening)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2016, 07:41:02 AM »
They grow into you heart so quickly, don't they?

When we got the Gurlies, it was this time last year.  At the time of course, we were deeply upset at losing our beloved Tinks, who was himself a young cat just coming into his prime, added to which I was recovering from a serious illness and was far from being my usual self.  It coloured the way I viewed the girls initially, but I welcomed the distraction of having two small kittens to care for, and keeping Moray convinced that he remained very much at the centre of our Universe. 

But when I look back now, with the wisdom of the first year behind us, I can scarcely see the point at which they'd grown inexorably into our lives, even though they were cranky and quirky, difficult and challenging (Moray thought so too  :evillaugh:).

Now, they're healthy (please the Gods they stay that way!)  and happy young cats.  They play.  Their tails are held high like little periscopes instead of being tucked under or held low.  They don't flinch away from a gentle stroke or a head rub.

You have so much enjoyment ahead of you with Andre and Lorenzo.  Keep taking those piccies.   :)  Are their tummies settling now? 

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2016, 07:26:32 AM »
Thank you all for your lovely comments, they really are a joy and they absolutely make my heart swell when I look at them xx

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2016, 23:01:46 PM »
What a very hansum pair of boys  :Luv2:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2016, 21:06:39 PM »
I can see mischief in those eyes, but there's trust there too.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 20:22:54 PM »
GORGEOUS  :Luv2: :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 18:47:28 PM »
Your boys look a real joy - and yes, what paws!!

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2016, 18:19:25 PM »
Aww they are absoutely gorgeous  :Luv: think they know your their mummy now  :)

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2016, 17:44:13 PM »
I thought I would post a couple more pics of the fur babies - they have their first Jabs tomorrow  :scared:
These two are now very naughty boys (meant in the nicest way) they are into absolutely everything.. they follow me everywhere, everything is now a climbing frame - including me and 1.2kg of kitten hanging off the back of your thigh is not even slightly funny!!!  they meow for attention (especially when one is in one room and one in the other - this is very cute).... love them more and more every day! - look at those paws!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 17:45:21 PM by Trace »

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2016, 06:59:58 AM »

Hi Trace. Welcome to Purrs. Your furry fiends are gorgeous.

Pooping out if the tray is very familiar to me. I have two, twin brothers Astrophe and Zoonie. When I first got them aged 11weeks, Astrophe went straight in the litter tray without any help from me. Zoonie, well he would get in the tray then get out and poop or pee by the front door. He would use the tray now and again, so I started putting him in it after meals and in the morning. It took 4 months to litter train him.

Make sure the trays are in a quiet place, away from their food and water and people.  I can't add anything more to what has already been said.
Best of luck. It will sort itself out

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »
Am home.  Later than expected, but hey-ho.   :tired:

So, having a think about Lorenzo and Andre (aren't they fabulous! - couldnt see their piccie at work for some odd reason)

I have had the kittens for 1 week and 3 days, I have not had them kitten checked yet, this is on the agenda for next week - I wanted to give them a couple of weeks to settle - I hav spoken to the vet who has agreed that this is a good idea.  We did that too - they got a health check, but because ours were aruond 7 weeks old, Vet suggested we gave them a couple of weeks to settle in before subjecting them to anything more.   It just helps to rule anything out which may be causing one (or both) of them to pee inappropriately.  From the sounds of it, they sound full of beans, so will be surprised if there is any medical basis for the issue.

yes they have done this from the outset - we introduced a (tiny) water spray last night - when they went in the direction of behind the tv - we gave a little squirt to the ground - seems to do the trick.  Interesting.  That seems to be more indicative of the fact they're trying to scent mark their territory, and given that we now know you have a house full of love (and that means haminals of all descriptions) that would make sense.  In that case, I'd also give the Pet Remedy Plug Ins a try - it might pay you to have a few of these - we used one upstairs and one downstairs, so in the room the gurlies were in to begin with, and one in the living room where Moray, our adult cat, spent most time.  This had the beneficial effect of soothing both of them, and making the place smell friendlier, rather than "different."   because a cat's sense of smell is so much more developed than ours, this can really help.  We also used the Pet remedy spray on our clothes and hands, and you can even rub it over a cat's coat and face, as it's perfectly safe to use.  Feliway is something similar, but we didn't find it was as good as the Pet Remedy, which all of our cats seemed to prefer.  If you also try the Zylkene in their food, that should have a calming effect.     

they interact brilliantly with us, they love to play  It sounds like it too, and that's great, because you can distract them with play.  The other good thing is that if you see them going to wee or poo somewhere you dont want them too, you can pick them up and take them to one of the litter trays, just as you've been doing  ;D  For behind the television, you could try putting down scrunched up swathes of tin foil, as generally cats don't like to wee on it (although there are always exceptions....   :tired:   

What can you tell us about where they came from, and what (if anything) they were used to there in terms of litter tray arrangements?

they came from a friend of my daughter, they were 2 of a litter of 3, they were litter trained when I got them though thats where my knowledge of it started and stopped - I wouldn't have thought much care would have been given as my daughters friend has two toddlers and is heavily pregnant with her 3rd    Probably true alas, but the fact they were using the trays when you got them is a good sign, and shows they're inherently used to seeking out an appropriate place to wee/poo.  Presumably you'll have been able to check what kind of litter she was using, particularly as you've swapped out some of the litter for different brands yourself.

What sort of trays do you have - are they open or closed?  Where do you position the trays, and what sort of litter do you have in them?  Can you describe the tray they favour the most - where it is, what's in it?

we have a selection, 2 open and one closed (but with the door off until they get used to it) they use them all equally, there doesn't seem to be a preference, there is one (the largest) in the room where they are during the day and then we have 2 in the lounge at night when they are downstairs with us - its a large room so we put one at either end.  Good idea to maybe put the three in their room during the day when they dont have any company, again keeping them away from the food and water, but if the room's not big enough to accommodate that arrangement, don't worry too much.  The fact they'll use open and closed trays is good.  To try and prevent them peeing on the bed, place really small bowls of food treats (a couple of teaspoons in each bowl) about the bed - top to bottom.  You might want to put a throw or cover on the bed for the time being.

I have tried several litters - a silica based one, felight & breeders celect - this is the one we have settled on and I can thoroughly recommend it

How long are the kittens left alone during the day, and where do they have access to? 

I probably should explain this better, they have a large spare bedroom during the day - - I work 200 yards from home so I go home at lunch time and spend time with them / feed and sort the litter tray, my mother-in-law lives with us (yes I am a saint!!!) and she spends time with them mid morning and mid afternoon, in the evening, the kittys and all of the paraphernalia that they have come down stairs with us until bedtime - in the room they have tons of toys and a multi level activity center that they love, their food, water and litter tray - which is nowhere near the food etc.. this is a temporary arrangement, they really are small and we have a dog - who loves the kittens - they actually like her too but until they are too little to be able to jump out of her way if she started to annoy them, our house is quite big and again - they are so little, it would be very daunting for them t this early stage (this is IMO)  - they are given the run of the house in the evenings when we are there to supervise - with the exception of the stairs and landing - we have a gallaried landing and we have already had one "incident" 

Very sensible.  It's always a good idea to keep new additions in their own restricted space until they've had time to settle in.  Some cats are fine with having a big ole house to explore - others, especially if they're not very confident, or have been living feral/semi feral - get freaked out by big spaces - they can't defend the whole house from (as yet) unknown "threats" and so they get stressed.  It's possible your boys can smell your other family members, which will be quite strange to them for the time being.  they need time to assimilate those new scents, and in time they'll come to see them as part of their extended family, and perfectly normal.  That might happen quickly, or it may take more time, and it's best to proceed at the cats' pace, even if it takes longer than you initially anticipate.  You can also try scent swapping with the boys and Missy - rubbing a soft blanket or towel over Missy and taking it into the room with you when you go in, but at this stage I'd remove it after a little while - let them be able to get a good sniff of Missy's scent without leaving it in there permanently, which may stress them a bit at this stage.

We have one 3 year old cat, called Moray.  He was something of a surprise - a tabby and white NFC lookeelikee, rescued from a flat where he'd been left abandoned with his sister when their substance dependent owner did a moonlight flit.  He's gorgeous = beautiful eyes, massive hairy paws and a wonderfully laid back nature.  We also have two semi feral girls, Malt and Barley, we got from the same rescue at this time last year, shortly after the death of our other cat on the roads.  Malt is a shorthair white and tabby, and the shyest of the two.  Barley is a tabby, like Paula's Pirate, and a bit more outgoing by nature than her sister.

The girls were abandoned in a cardboard box in a woman's garden in a very busy (and less than ideal) environment.  They were around 7 weeks old, tiny, petrified and fully armed with effective weaponry.  They were two little velociraptors.  They were certainly an education.  Long story short (cos it has been a long story) they're now beautiful 1 year old cats.  Both still rather flighty and nervous, but now accepting of affection gestures, and capable of more than a few of their own.  They've become an absolute delight to us, and have integrated well with Moray and with our visitor cats who come to see us from over the road.  We're still learning all sorts of things about them, and having to find ways of dealing with their foibles (we can't get them back to the vet - they're wise to it now.  Vaccinations are due in December, and alas, we will be shredded to boogery because we still can't pick our Malt up) but they've been worth all of the roller-coaster ride we've had to date, bless their paws, and I hope your boys will be too in time. 

Oh, yes, and as we're on about it - I'm in me early 50's.  :shify:  Bit rough about the edges these days.  No kids.  Two stepchildren, 4 grandkids and great grandies too, most of whom now live abroad in sunnier climes (with cats and stuff of their own  :evillaugh:.

Right.  Off to think about something to eat.  Or maybe to order some wine online as I'm told Tesco have some offers on at the moment...... ;)

Sue thank you so much, your little fur family sound amazing. Thank you for the advice, I've put a extra litter tray in the room this morning so we'll see how that goes. We had no tv sneak pooing last night - I think I have the answer to the cause of that one - will give details later. Xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 08:32:20 AM »
See Trace,

Told you we were friendly :evillaugh:

Sue' Malt may be a tabby like Pi, but she has both ears, both eyes and a beautiful straight tail. :rofl:, I would not swap him for the world, well, maybe when he gnaws my hand ;)

True enuff.  Malt's "all there" but in many ways, she's a "special case" bless her sweet and complex little heart.   :Luv2:  Like you, I wudden swap her for the world.

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 08:28:45 AM »
See Trace,

Sue' Malt may be a tabby like Pi, but she has both ears, both eyes and a beautiful straight tail. :rofl:, I would not swap him for the world, well, maybe when he gnaws my hand ;)

Gentle reminder Sue, we haven't had any photo's for ages :naughty:

You certainly did - you're all lovely xx

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 21:35:43 PM »
See Trace,

Gentle reminder Sue, we haven't had any photo's for ages :naughty:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 19:32:28 PM »
Am home.  Later than expected, but hey-ho.   :tired:

So, having a think about Lorenzo and Andre (aren't they fabulous! - couldnt see their piccie at work for some odd reason)

I have had the kittens for 1 week and 3 days, I have not had them kitten checked yet, this is on the agenda for next week - I wanted to give them a couple of weeks to settle - I hav spoken to the vet who has agreed that this is a good idea.  We did that too - they got a health check, but because ours were aruond 7 weeks old, Vet suggested we gave them a couple of weeks to settle in before subjecting them to anything more.   It just helps to rule anything out which may be causing one (or both) of them to pee inappropriately.  From the sounds of it, they sound full of beans, so will be surprised if there is any medical basis for the issue.

yes they have done this from the outset - we introduced a (tiny) water spray last night - when they went in the direction of behind the tv - we gave a little squirt to the ground - seems to do the trick.  Interesting.  That seems to be more indicative of the fact they're trying to scent mark their territory, and given that we now know you have a house full of love (and that means haminals of all descriptions) that would make sense.  In that case, I'd also give the Pet Remedy Plug Ins a try - it might pay you to have a few of these - we used one upstairs and one downstairs, so in the room the gurlies were in to begin with, and one in the living room where Moray, our adult cat, spent most time.  This had the beneficial effect of soothing both of them, and making the place smell friendlier, rather than "different."   because a cat's sense of smell is so much more developed than ours, this can really help.  We also used the Pet remedy spray on our clothes and hands, and you can even rub it over a cat's coat and face, as it's perfectly safe to use.  Feliway is something similar, but we didn't find it was as good as the Pet Remedy, which all of our cats seemed to prefer.  If you also try the Zylkene in their food, that should have a calming effect.     

they interact brilliantly with us, they love to play  It sounds like it too, and that's great, because you can distract them with play.  The other good thing is that if you see them going to wee or poo somewhere you dont want them too, you can pick them up and take them to one of the litter trays, just as you've been doing  ;D  For behind the television, you could try putting down scrunched up swathes of tin foil, as generally cats don't like to wee on it (although there are always exceptions....   :tired:   

What can you tell us about where they came from, and what (if anything) they were used to there in terms of litter tray arrangements?

they came from a friend of my daughter, they were 2 of a litter of 3, they were litter trained when I got them though thats where my knowledge of it started and stopped - I wouldn't have thought much care would have been given as my daughters friend has two toddlers and is heavily pregnant with her 3rd    Probably true alas, but the fact they were using the trays when you got them is a good sign, and shows they're inherently used to seeking out an appropriate place to wee/poo.  Presumably you'll have been able to check what kind of litter she was using, particularly as you've swapped out some of the litter for different brands yourself.

What sort of trays do you have - are they open or closed?  Where do you position the trays, and what sort of litter do you have in them?  Can you describe the tray they favour the most - where it is, what's in it?

we have a selection, 2 open and one closed (but with the door off until they get used to it) they use them all equally, there doesn't seem to be a preference, there is one (the largest) in the room where they are during the day and then we have 2 in the lounge at night when they are downstairs with us - its a large room so we put one at either end.  Good idea to maybe put the three in their room during the day when they dont have any company, again keeping them away from the food and water, but if the room's not big enough to accommodate that arrangement, don't worry too much.  The fact they'll use open and closed trays is good.  To try and prevent them peeing on the bed, place really small bowls of food treats (a couple of teaspoons in each bowl) about the bed - top to bottom.  You might want to put a throw or cover on the bed for the time being.

I have tried several litters - a silica based one, felight & breeders celect - this is the one we have settled on and I can thoroughly recommend it

How long are the kittens left alone during the day, and where do they have access to? 

I probably should explain this better, they have a large spare bedroom during the day - - I work 200 yards from home so I go home at lunch time and spend time with them / feed and sort the litter tray, my mother-in-law lives with us (yes I am a saint!!!) and she spends time with them mid morning and mid afternoon, in the evening, the kittys and all of the paraphernalia that they have come down stairs with us until bedtime - in the room they have tons of toys and a multi level activity center that they love, their food, water and litter tray - which is nowhere near the food etc.. this is a temporary arrangement, they really are small and we have a dog - who loves the kittens - they actually like her too but until they are too little to be able to jump out of her way if she started to annoy them, our house is quite big and again - they are so little, it would be very daunting for them t this early stage (this is IMO)  - they are given the run of the house in the evenings when we are there to supervise - with the exception of the stairs and landing - we have a gallaried landing and we have already had one "incident" 

Very sensible.  It's always a good idea to keep new additions in their own restricted space until they've had time to settle in.  Some cats are fine with having a big ole house to explore - others, especially if they're not very confident, or have been living feral/semi feral - get freaked out by big spaces - they can't defend the whole house from (as yet) unknown "threats" and so they get stressed.  It's possible your boys can smell your other family members, which will be quite strange to them for the time being.  they need time to assimilate those new scents, and in time they'll come to see them as part of their extended family, and perfectly normal.  That might happen quickly, or it may take more time, and it's best to proceed at the cats' pace, even if it takes longer than you initially anticipate.  You can also try scent swapping with the boys and Missy - rubbing a soft blanket or towel over Missy and taking it into the room with you when you go in, but at this stage I'd remove it after a little while - let them be able to get a good sniff of Missy's scent without leaving it in there permanently, which may stress them a bit at this stage.

We have one 3 year old cat, called Moray.  He was something of a surprise - a tabby and white NFC lookeelikee, rescued from a flat where he'd been left abandoned with his sister when their substance dependent owner did a moonlight flit.  He's gorgeous = beautiful eyes, massive hairy paws and a wonderfully laid back nature.  We also have two semi feral girls, Malt and Barley, we got from the same rescue at this time last year, shortly after the death of our other cat on the roads.  Malt is a shorthair white and tabby, and the shyest of the two.  Barley is a tabby, like Paula's Pirate, and a bit more outgoing by nature than her sister.

The girls were abandoned in a cardboard box in a woman's garden in a very busy (and less than ideal) environment.  They were around 7 weeks old, tiny, petrified and fully armed with effective weaponry.  They were two little velociraptors.  They were certainly an education.  Long story short (cos it has been a long story) they're now beautiful 1 year old cats.  Both still rather flighty and nervous, but now accepting of affection gestures, and capable of more than a few of their own.  They've become an absolute delight to us, and have integrated well with Moray and with our visitor cats who come to see us from over the road.  We're still learning all sorts of things about them, and having to find ways of dealing with their foibles (we can't get them back to the vet - they're wise to it now.  Vaccinations are due in December, and alas, we will be shredded to boogery because we still can't pick our Malt up) but they've been worth all of the roller-coaster ride we've had to date, bless their paws, and I hope your boys will be too in time. 

Oh, yes, and as we're on about it - I'm in me early 50's.  :shify:  Bit rough about the edges these days.  No kids.  Two stepchildren, 4 grandkids and great grandies too, most of whom now live abroad in sunnier climes (with cats and stuff of their own  :evillaugh:.

Right.  Off to think about something to eat.  Or maybe to order some wine online as I'm told Tesco have some offers on at the moment...... ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 17:54:33 PM »
SORRY THAT IS A TRADE SECRET BUT KEEP GOING YOU WILL GET THERE  ;D ;D

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 15:39:38 PM »
YES I AM WATCHING  :shify: :thanks:

SASA

Haha Brilliant!!

hi there Gill - so how many posts do I have to make to become an adult cat..

:summer flowers:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 15:05:33 PM »
YES I AM WATCHING  :shify: :thanks:

SASA

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 14:43:03 PM »
Trace - you might just need to post a few more posts, and then you'll find you have access to more and more of the boards on the forum.  I suspect Andre and Lorenzo will be prime candidates for membership of The Norty Club.  They just need to remember when they post to sign their names at the bottom so's the other cats know who's posting and so's no-one gets into more bovver from Sasa (Ma'am) - the top Norty Club Police Cat.  ;)

haha thank you  ;D

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 14:41:43 PM »
They are adorable  :Luv:

thank you x - i'm totally in love with them after such a short time - i can't stop looking at their perfect tiny faces lol!

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 14:38:51 PM »
They are so sweet, which is which? :Luv:

the one at the front is Lorenzo (Ren) and the other is Andre (Dre) they do no look as tiny as they actually are in that picture...

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 14:28:38 PM »
They are adorable  :Luv:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 14:23:42 PM »
They are so sweet, which is which? :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 14:14:22 PM »
Trace - you might just need to post a few more posts, and then you'll find you have access to more and more of the boards on the forum.  I suspect Andre and Lorenzo will be prime candidates for membership of The Norty Club.  They just need to remember when they post to sign their names at the bottom so's the other cats know who's posting and so's no-one gets into more bovver from Sasa (Ma'am) - the top Norty Club Police Cat.  ;)

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 14:09:51 PM »
Your kittens will have to very very norty for the norty club though  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

oh, they're naughty all right! i couldn't find the "from the cats mouth" section   :'(

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 12:49:41 PM »
Your kittens will have to very very norty for the norty club though  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »
Wow Tracie and Paula your homes sound like a handful with all them animals, theres just me, my OH and Butter in our family  :-[ mind you our bungalow isnt big enough otherwise I definately would fill it up with animals, wether OH liked it or not!!  :evillaugh:

I am 48.

Sonya xx

Tracie let your kittens know about "from the cats mouths" section where they can introduce themselves and chat with other cats and who knows they may even be invited to the norty club  :evillaugh:
I am definitely joining them into the "from the cats mouths" section - thank you Sonya xx

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 12:06:37 PM »
Wow Tracie and Paula your homes sound like a handful with all them animals, theres just me, my OH and Butter in our family  :-[ mind you our bungalow isnt big enough otherwise I definately would fill it up with animals, wether OH liked it or not!!  :evillaugh:

I am 48.

Sonya xx

Tracie let your kittens know about "from the cats mouths" section where they can introduce themselves and chat with other cats and who knows they may even be invited to the norty club  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:12:17 PM by Sonya(Buttersmum) »

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 12:01:17 PM »
Our household consists of 5 cats, Emo half bred Norwegian Forest cat girl, aged nearly 7, Merlin, black and white ex stray moggy boy, (all the others are purebred moggy :evillaugh:), approx 5, Bob, girl (think Blackadder), tortie and white, 2 on New Years Day, Pippa, girl, muted silver and white tabby, ex-feral, approx 17 months, and last but not least, Pirate, tabby boy with congenital deformities, one ear flap, small eye orb so the third eyelid is permanently partway across the eye, hence the name ;), and a curly tail. He is about the same age as Pip. He was also a feral.
Two corn snakes, Isis and Inut,

And about 80 fish and counting, in two tanks and a pond. The Guppies will keep breeding :naughty:

A Husband, and like you, the kids are left home - and starting to provide Grandchildren ;D

I am 52.

Paula xxx

thanks Paula I am glad its not just me - no grandchildren for me as yet -i live in hope, I think hubby as drawn the line (in pen) at any more pets - but then he said that after the rabbits - that was 2 cats and a hamster ago..  x

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
Our household consists of 5 cats, Emo half bred Norwegian Forest cat girl, aged nearly 7, Merlin, black and white ex stray moggy boy, (all the others are purebred moggy :evillaugh:), approx 5, Bob, girl (think Blackadder), tortie and white, 2 on New Years Day, Pippa, girl, muted silver and white tabby, ex-feral, approx 17 months, and last but not least, Pirate, tabby boy with congenital deformities, one ear flap, small eye orb so the third eyelid is permanently partway across the eye, hence the name ;), and a curly tail. He is about the same age as Pip. He was also a feral.
Two corn snakes, Isis and Inut,

And about 80 fish and counting, in two tanks and a pond. The Guppies will keep breeding :naughty:

A Husband, and like you, the kids are left home - and starting to provide Grandchildren ;D

I am 52.

Paula xxx

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »
That would be fab, thank you - I don't just have a dog and the kittys .. here's the skinny on the Beaumont residents pets - just to make you aware, I am a "normal" 48 year old, I have a wonderful husband, home and job - I suffer with a severe case of empty nest syndrome now my daughters have grown up and moved out (I welled up writing that) so my home is filled with fur babies -

Missy - cross staff / english bull terrier - rescued her from being beaten in the street 10 years ago (she was 5 months old approx) - she is devoted to my husband

Eric B - 18 month old - special needs hamster - no top teeth!!!, I hand feed him a diet of millet seeds mixed with  peanut butter off of a chopstick, hamster chocolate, cucumber, banana, cheese and pasta (not all at once)- very very unconventional diet but the vet says he's thriving on it and he's very happy

Frankie and Floyd - lionhead rabbits aged 1 & 3 - bought Frankie from a really awful petshop (thankfully now closed down) when she was 4 month old, she looked desperately sad on her own in a glass box!!  I only went in for guinea pig food!! and floyd who I got from the RSPCA as a husband for Frankie - these live in a massive enclosure in the garden - not an undersized hutch - nowt wrong with these two babies,

and Ozzy - a 10 year old, spoiled beyond belief guinea pig that belongs to my Mother in Law - he lives in a big cage in the kitchen (the kittys can't reach him)

thats me, thats my life - I have a big home and a big heart...

Trace x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »
That's really helpful info Tracie.  At work at the mo, but hope to be able to offer some suggestions and some of the observations we made which you could try once I get home tonight.

Not everything works the same for each cat - they're like  us - all different - it's why we love them so much I guess.   :evillaugh:   

Your family sounds wonderful by the way, and I can see very many fun packed days ahead as everyone integrates (we love dogs on here too, so no doubt we'll pester you for doggy details as well - please forgive us, we can't help it!  :evillaugh:)  There are few things quite like kittens to liven things up.

Offline Trace

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 09:16:31 AM »
Good morning all

thank you for your amazing response, am new to any type of forum so please forgive any etiquette breaches, answers to the questions below, I honestly don't mind the questions - I want to do what is right for the babies.

How long have you had the kittens, and have they been kitten checked?  Have they exhibited this behaviour from the outset?  How do they interact with you and members of your family?

I have had the kittens for 1 week and 3 days, I have not had them kitten checked yet, this is on the agenda for next week - I wanted to give them a couple of weeks to settle - I hav spoken to the vet who has agreed that this is a good idea.

yes they have done this from the outset - we introduced a (tiny) water spray last night - when they went in the direction of behind the tv - we gave a little squirt to the ground - seems to do the trick

they interact brilliantly with us, they love to play

they came from a friend of my daughter, they were 2 of a litter of 3, they were litter trained when I got them though thats where my knowledge of it started and stopped - I wouldn't have thought much care would have been given as my daughters friend has two toddlers and is heavily pregnant with her 3rd

we have a selection, 2 open and one closed (but with the door off until they get used to it) they use them all equally, there doesn't seem to be a preference, there is one (the largest) in the room where they are during the day and then we have 2 in the lounge at night when they are downstairs with us - its a large room so we put one at either end.

Not being nosy, and apologies for all of the questions,  it's just all of these things can impact on the behaviour in question, and often the smallest of clues can provide valuable information as to why behaviour is occurring, and help you work out what to do to rectify it.

If you can fill us in on some of the blanks it may help point to what's motivating the behaviour.  One thing to be sure of, its that cats and kittens dont carry out behaviour like this from spite or wilful misbehaviour - it's more a cat's way of trying to get us to understand that something with their environment isn't right, or doesnt meet their needs.  Their needs can be very very subtle too, so it can be a bit taxing trying to work out what's going on.   :shify: 

Also you need to thoroughly clean any areas where they toilet inappropriately, and to do that you really need to use an enzymatic cleaner.  RX 66 is ideal, but very hard to get hold of in the UK.  We used to be able to get it from www.livingiseasy.co.uk but I think that site may now be closed.  Anyway you can get similar from Pets at Home or the Bettaware catalogue.  Washable items can be put in the washing machine, but you'll need a hot wash, so if linens cant be washed on a hot wash or treated in situ with enzymatic cleaner, the chances are you wont be able to eliminate the smell well enough to prevent peeing from recurring. 

We had a problem with our two semi feral kittens peeing on the armchair in  our bedroom last year, and in our spare bedroom.   They were scared of people - badly scared - but they were trying to mark their new territory to make it feel and smell more familar to them.   They also decided the chair was great for peeing on, because me and my OH would leave our clothing on the back of it, so it smelled like us, and by marking it, they were effectively claiming us as "theirs."    Given there was another adult cat in the house, it made sense to them.  They were trying to stake claims.  Fortunately, our other cat is very laid back, and just thought it was a bit weird behaviour but excusable in ones so young, and so far beneath him.  (He's a saint  :naughty:  :evillaugh:)

We found putting small dishes of food in the areas utilised for inappropriate weeing after the area had been properly cleaned helped.   Cats seldom urinate or defecate where they eat, so we began putting just small dishes of food on the item of furniture in question.  It worked over a period of about two weeks, and you have to be consistent.  I agree, it's not always convenient having dishes of food on items of furniture, but hopefully it wont be for long.  Having said that, it's now morphed into a nightly tradition that when we go to bed, two small dishes of food go with us into the bedroom, and we're often woken at night by the sound of happy crunching when the midnight munchies strike.  :evillaugh:

I also recommend the use of Pet remedy Plug Ins, Pet remedy spray and zylkene in the kittens' food.  All of these things will help them to settle in to their new home better , and the plug ins and spray are easy to use.  Zylkene is a non prescription food supplement that is milk based - it shouldnt be such a miracle supplement, yet it is.
[/quote]

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 02:47:02 AM »
 :welcome:

sUE IS RIGHT AND THE MORE WE KNOW THE BETTER WE CAN HELP.

PAH DO A SPRAY TO CLEAN AREAS. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CAT ONE! AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

SURPORT THE PUPPY PAD IDEA AND FOOD !

YOU VAN ALSO WASH BEDDING AND AREAS WITH..................UMMMMMMMMMMM NEED HELP PEOPLE............WITH BIO WASHING POWDER OR IS IT NON BIO GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

ONE WORKS THE OTHER DOESNT AND ATTRACTS THEM BACK.

Link to CatChat