Author Topic: Good afternoon from another newbie  (Read 12015 times)

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
Re: Good afternoon from another newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 20:33:38 PM »
 :welcome:  to purrs TracieB,  sorry I can't help you, our cat was 13 months when he came to us....... but you will get plenty of help on here  ;D. Everybody are so friendly  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 18:32:22 PM »
Andre and Lorenzo, TracieB - welcome to Purrs.   :welcome:

It's great to hear that you have three trays for your babies - well done.  Many people dont realise who important it can be, so you're off to a really good start.  ;D

How long have you had the kittens, and have they been kitten checked?  Have they exhibited this behaviour from the outset?  How do they interact with you and members of your family?

What can you tell us about where they came from, and what (if anything) they were used to there in terms of litter tray arrangements?

What sort of trays do you have - are they open or closed?  Where do you position the trays, and what sort of litter do you have in them?  Can you describe the tray they favour the most - where it is, what's in it?

How long are the kittens left alone during the day, and where do they have access to? 

Not being nosy, and apologies for all of the questions,  it's just all of these things can impact on the behaviour in question, and often the smallest of clues can provide valuable information as to why behaviour is occurring, and help you work out what to do to rectify it.

If you can fill us in on some of the blanks it may help point to what's motivating the behaviour.  One thing to be sure of, its that cats and kittens dont carry out behaviour like this from spite or wilful misbehaviour - it's more a cat's way of trying to get us to understand that something with their environment isn't right, or doesnt meet their needs.  Their needs can be very very subtle too, so it can be a bit taxing trying to work out what's going on.   :shify: 

Also you need to thoroughly clean any areas where they toilet inappropriately, and to do that you really need to use an enzymatic cleaner.  RX 66 is ideal, but very hard to get hold of in the UK.  We used to be able to get it from www.livingiseasy.co.uk but I think that site may now be closed.  Anyway you can get similar from Pets at Home or the Bettaware catalogue.  Washable items can be put in the washing machine, but you'll need a hot wash, so if linens cant be washed on a hot wash or treated in situ with enzymatic cleaner, the chances are you wont be able to eliminate the smell well enough to prevent peeing from recurring. 

We had a problem with our two semi feral kittens peeing on the armchair in  our bedroom last year, and in our spare bedroom.   They were scared of people - badly scared - but they were trying to mark their new territory to make it feel and smell more familar to them.   They also decided the chair was great for peeing on, because me and my OH would leave our clothing on the back of it, so it smelled like us, and by marking it, they were effectively claiming us as "theirs."    Given there was another adult cat in the house, it made sense to them.  They were trying to stake claims.  Fortunately, our other cat is very laid back, and just thought it was a bit weird behaviour but excusable in ones so young, and so far beneath him.  (He's a saint  :naughty:  :evillaugh:)

We found putting small dishes of food in the areas utilised for inappropriate weeing after the area had been properly cleaned helped.   Cats seldom urinate or defecate where they eat, so we began putting just small dishes of food on the item of furniture in question.  It worked over a period of about two weeks, and you have to be consistent.  I agree, it's not always convenient having dishes of food on items of furniture, but hopefully it wont be for long.  Having said that, it's now morphed into a nightly tradition that when we go to bed, two small dishes of food go with us into the bedroom, and we're often woken at night by the sound of happy crunching when the midnight munchies strike.  :evillaugh:

I also recommend the use of Pet remedy Plug Ins, Pet remedy spray and zylkene in the kittens' food.  All of these things will help them to settle in to their new home better , and the plug ins and spray are easy to use.  Zylkene is a non prescription food supplement that is milk based - it shouldnt be such a miracle supplement, yet it is. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 18:04:14 PM »
HI Tracie,

If there is room, maybe try puppy pads, at least you can lift them and dispose, but I have used something called Scratch No More which has a strong lemon scent on places I didn't want my cats to go, it does deter, but not stop them entirely, you also need a good cleaner that removes all trace of urine/poo smells, your vet will probably have one or ask in a good local pet shop.

You might want to try Pet Remedy spray or diffuser, or Feliway, and maybe some Zylkene tablets to calm them while they are setting down as well. I get my Zylkene off Amazon. As well as Beuphar (sp) drops which go between the ears.

Hope this helps.

Paula xxx
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 17:54:32 PM »
There are sprays available, but I've never used them so I don't know how good they are. You could try puttin physical obstacles in the way, and if you can get hold or a doormat that has very stiff bristles, they wouldn't even want to walk on it, let alone stand there for any time.

Offline Trace

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Dre & Ren
Good afternoon from another newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 17:43:01 PM »
Hi all

just a quick first email - I am a new mum of 2 x 9 week old fur babies - Andre and Lorenzo; i am in need of a little help - they are both litter trained and I put them in the tray when they wake up and after they have eaten, I have 3 litter trays but they only seem to want to use one of them - this is fine but they have started weeing and pooing in places where they shouldn't - firstly it was weing on the bed in the spare room - pooing in the litter tray though - this is where they currently  "live" during the day while I am at work (they're downstairs through the evening) and back in the room at night for sleeping - and they have started to poo and wee behind the back of the TV... can anyone let me know a tried and tested method of deterrant as blocking the access of totally is not really an option..

thanks in advance

Tracie

Link to CatChat