Author Topic: Robbie off his food  (Read 6441 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Robbie off his food
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 17:52:56 PM »
YES SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT AND THAT HE HAS BEEN BITTEN

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 16:13:05 PM »
Found 2 tiny lumps on his front leg, only just come up as feel scabby, less than half an inch apart.  Suspect that is the cause of infection - probably been in a scrap and had a bite from another cat ! Will keep an eye on them to make sure they don't grow as he did have a lump removed earlier in year.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 15:22:12 PM »
THATS GREAT  ;D ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 14:25:17 PM »
Still sleepy but got most of my boy back - he is eating, wanting to go out (but not for long) and wanting attention. 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 20:59:29 PM »
Poor lad! I'm glad to hear that he is improving - keep up the good work Robbie  :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 19:33:10 PM »
Oh bless, here's hoping the ABs are kicking in and he's on the mend bless him, sounds like good progress so far  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 18:17:06 PM »
Still not quite himself - he is very snuggly (which is nice!) but looks really lethargic. He is eating so have cancelled appointment tonight - not putting him through stress of an appointment when he is improving.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 16:45:03 PM »
yay great news. Well done Robbie :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 15:11:52 PM »
THATS GREAT....WELL DONE ROBBIE  ;D ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 13:31:54 PM »
Definitely getting back to normal.  Had half a sachet this morning and full one for lunch so he is definitely getting there.   :Luv:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 08:12:28 AM »
Just seen this, and sending strong Get Well vibes for Robbie.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 06:54:50 AM »
Slightly brighter this morning but he is very weak.  Ate about 20g of lily's kitchen food - normally would easily eat 100g of it.  Came on the bed for snuggles and has scratched on post so some of behaviour is coming back.  He still looks tired and I'll but won't have to go back this morning with him.  He does want to go out which is not being allowed so he is looking out of window instead.

Hopefully he will keep the food in him today and eat some more later.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 05:34:18 AM »
High white cell count and temperature must mean some sort of infection.  Has he had an anti inflammatory as that will help reduce temp and high temp will stop him eating.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 00:22:04 AM »
Suspect he has an infection but hopefully your normal vet can sort him out asap. SENDING LOADS OF GOOD VIBES TO HIM

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 22:00:15 PM »
If he has a temperature it must be some sort of infection. Have you tried him with some cat milk to drink?

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 21:11:47 PM »
Sounds so much like what my cat Tabby had.  She wanted to eat but just sniffed the food and turned away. Lost a lot of weight (but she is overweight)!. She didn't eat for another 3-4 days after she came home from vet but was drinking. But then picked up and started nibbling and now she is back to normal again. Very worrying, but fingers and paws crossed he will be feeling better soon.

Problem with Robbie is he's not drinking either.  He was syringe fed at vet so that may be what has come back up.  He's back to lethargic and disinterested.  Not taking him back tonight unless he really deteriorates.

Not used to him being ill.  Earlier this year he had a lump removed but wasn't tested as all his bloods were normal so you can guess where my thinking is running off to!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 20:54:48 PM »
I hope that you are wrong and that the AB's kick in overnight and Robbie perks up :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 20:49:33 PM »
Sounds so much like what my cat Tabby had.  She wanted to eat but just sniffed the food and turned away. Lost a lot of weight (but she is overweight)!. She didn't eat for another 3-4 days after she came home from vet but was drinking. But then picked up and started nibbling and now she is back to normal again. Very worrying, but fingers and paws crossed he will be feeling better soon.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 20:25:55 PM »
Been sick and diarrhea so he's definitely not right still.  Bless him - he got to the litter tray. He wants to go out but that isn't an option.  Suspect he will be back in the vets tomorrow morning.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 19:07:03 PM »
Fingers crossed that the ABs kick in soon and that's all that's needed.  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 18:19:26 PM »
He is home but he's not well still.  He hasn't eaten at the vets - when I went to see him he had a webbox stick and 6 dreamies but that was it. wouldn't have his tuna that he loves.  He did brighten up when I was with him and responded to his fussing and gave me purrs and headbuts.  However within 10 minutes of me being there he wilted again and just led on the table, letting me fuss him but not being bothered. He's been allowed home - think the nurse was a bit scared of him as she said he kept hissing at her and she was reluctant to get him out of the cat box he was in (I couldn't lift him as my shoulder is playing up).  Have to take him back tomorrow.

He is hidden away at the moment and isn't interested in what's going on. He's washed himself and sniffed at his food but not wanting it.  He had an antibiotic injection before he left so may need time for that to come into effect.

On his way home he pood in the box again and it was a bit bloody again.  Hopefully it is all just down to infection.

Leaving him alone to come back to himself - just need to get his bandage off him.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 16:14:16 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that Robbie is ill, I do hope he is soon back to his usual self  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 14:54:56 PM »
THEY CAN ALSO GIVE SOMETHING TO STIMULATE APPETITE, DIDNT WORK WITH NAPOLEON SADLY AND THATS WHY I LOSTBHIM IN THE END  :(

BUT HE WAS VERY ILL WITH OTHER STIFF TOO BUT LACK OF EATING CAUSED HIS BODY TO CLOSE DOWN.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
That is how Tabby was. Had high white cell count rest of bloods were fine. Wouldn't eat at vets. She only started eating 3 days after she came home, so didn't really eat for about a week.  Hopefully with a dose of antibiotics he will soon be feeling better.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »
Best guess at the moment is an infection that he is struggling to fight off.

He still won't eat at the vets even after being on a drip so they are going to syringe feed him later - that could just be the stress of being away from home though. Bloods are back and everything is in completely normal range other than his white cell count which is high.  He has used the litter tray and that was normal looking.

She is getting another vet to have a look at the results and see what to do with him. 

I suspect will be antibiotics and then he can come home. Hopefully :)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 00:30:07 AM »
He should feel better after being rehydrated and hopefully be brighter tomorrow. Keep us updated :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 23:35:38 PM »
SENDING LOADS OF GOOD WISHES TO ROBBIE AND HE IS THE BEST PLACE, YOU WERE RIGHT TO TAKE HIM.

DONT CANCEL INSURANCE, I AM SPENDING A FORTUNE ON MISA AND SASA AFTER AXA DUMPED EVERYONE BUT I LEARNED MY LESSON WHEN I CANCELLED NAPOLEON AND DUCHA AND THAT COST ME THOUSANDS WHEN NAPOLEON BECAME ILL.

I HOPE THAT ROBBIE IS BACK HOME AND EATING AGAIN ASAP  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 23:21:14 PM »
I gave in to instinct and took him.   He just wasn't looking right and was becoming less responsive.  The vet couldn't feel anything, and his mouth looked fine, but said that cats are hard to diagnose when they just stop eating. He is dehydrated but not massively so - obviously it will get worse the longer he goes without food or drink. He had had a tiny poo in the carrier and a wee - the poo wasn't normal but he does stress diarohea when he is in the carrier so it wasn't abnormal for him in that situation.  It did have red in it though which could have been blood. 

He has stayed in to be rehydrated and having his bloods tested.  He had a temperature as well.  I did have the option to bring him home as I know he will be stressed at the vets but I wouldn't be able to get him to eat (it wasn't that he wanted to eat and couldn't, it was that he has no interest at all in it). The cat ward is separate from the dogs and given that he is poorly he will probably sleep.

So glad I didn't spend a lot of money on my shopping trip today!  Minimum £300 for his consultation, hospitalisation and bloods.

Between him and Sky, my insurance company will love me!  I was going to cancel it last year.....dreading renewal!

Thanks for the help :)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 22:52:35 PM »
Honestly if it was me and he's still not eaten, or more importantly drunk anything, since Friday I would at least be calling to speak to the emergency vets to see what they think?

Not drinking I think is the thing to be most wary of, so maybe try some cat milk or chicken broth etc to tempt him a little?

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 21:43:54 PM »
my cat tabby who is 21 had a similar thing recently, although she did have diarrohea and was passing red jelly stuff. she didnt eat from thurs to monday when i took her to vet. She stayed in a drip as was dehydrated had blood tests and pain killer.  She also has a sore tooth, the gum around it was red and swollen but risky putting her through surgery and expensive. She had an anti biotic jab too and within another 3 days she was back eating and drinking. HOpefully RObbie either has a bad tooth or some sort of infection? I would take him to vets if not better in a few days. :Luv: (Also the way he is lying is exactly how Tabby was, with her head sort of squashed).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 21:54:48 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Robbie off his food
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 19:46:15 PM »
Robbie hasn't eaten or drunk anything since Friday morning. He is looking very sorry for himself and has slept most of yesterday and today. Today he is a little brighter and showing a tiny bit of interest in being fussed but looks about 10 years older than he is!   He has been sick today but it was only bile as he had no food in him.

How much longer can he safely go without food?  I have it in my head it is 48 hours before starting potential liver problems. 

I don't want to take him to the vet unnecesarily - he does not travel at all well but don't want to leave it too late to make the decision.  Unless he is violently ill then it won't be tonight.  The vet I use for him doesn't open on Sunday but their emergency service is about 30 minutes away and they are open 9 until 5 so presumably I would go there.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 19:56:06 PM by Sootyca »

Link to CatChat