Author Topic: Teeth  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Teeth
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 23:15:24 PM »
I took Trouble for an old cat check up as they were doing an old cat MOT for a tenner at my vets, he had been crunching through his biscuits with gusto etc. but never let me check his mouth, when the vet opened his mouth and showed me his teeth I was horrified, all apart from three incisors were rotten, brown or missing with red inflamed gums,over £600 later he had no teeth apart from three incisors and had his 'Elvis' snarl, but still scarfed down his dry as well as his wet food. David the vet said that if it was him or me we would be climbing the walls, screaming. Cats are small predators and will not show weakness in case they become prey themselves according to David.

I would do as you said and get him checked out. Good luck.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 18:43:00 PM »
Soory never got back to youz till now ( back offshore )

no after thinking about it myself regardless of what will look like or if He may or not  be in pain, His well being is more important
so when I get home this next time He will be getting a visit to the vets for a check up  :doh:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 19:00:30 PM »
I would definitely take vet advice. He may be eating ok and showing no signs of pain but they do hide it well and if it's cracked it could break and cause problems. Mosi had a canine out last year. I would guess it's better removed tbh but I would let the vet look at it and make your concerns known.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:50:19 AM »
Honestly if it was me I would talk to the vets. Even if it's not bothering him now, a broken tooth can become more damaged or infected eventually, and then you will have more issues to deal with?

Our previous cat didn't have as many dentals as she should have, and as a result had to have quite a few teeth out as eventually it was causing pain and eating problems, and possibly kidney and liver issues as bad teeth do have a knock on effect eventually. She was miles better afterwards, but it was a complicated procedure because we had left it too long and it would have been more easily sorted if we had been more proactive about it.

Our new cat is getting regular teeth checks now  :shy:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 20:01:22 PM »
Sorry Stuart but I haven't had any teething problems with cats so can't help.

Can't you have a chat with your vet to put your mind at ease?

Good luck

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Teeth
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 17:21:46 PM »
Robbie hasn't been to the vet's for a while, last time he was there they removed one of his canines as it had a crack in it (it wasn't bothering him) just that they picked it up during a routine check, now when he licks his lips his right side upper lip does not return to it's original position - sticks like Elvis's top lip
anyhoo, like I said he hasn't been for a while, I actually managed to get hold of him this morning and checked his teeth, from what I saw they look nice and clean, but his canine on his left side looks as tho it is broken in half with maybe 3-4mm off the length  :(

same again, it doesn't seem to be bothering him - still eating the same etc, but now If I take him to the vet's they might want to remove his other canine
I don't want them to..... what would you guys suggest?

Ta
Stuart.
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Link to CatChat