Author Topic: Naughty kitten  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Naughty kitten
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 06:31:58 AM »
This article refers to "Frustration Related Aggression - this type of aggression is what I refer to as spoilt child syndrome" and I wonder if this might be his problem?

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,14320.0.html

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 06:23:16 AM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs

Can't really  suggest anything re the chewing as been there and put up with that but it will stop soon when he's stopped teething. Is he allowed to go out now he's neutered?  If not would suggest lots of play to try and wear him out. Fishing rod toys in view of the biting. Have a look at the Purrs Shop in top right hand corner.  Some great stuff in there.

I think we may have a relevant link somewhere. I'll go and have a look.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 21:11:33 PM »
It does take a little while for the hormones to leave the system, so you might still see a change - plus that fact that he will start to calm down as he grows up. Eventually.

Offline Rolacolacube

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Emi
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 20:36:30 PM »
has he been neutered yet? If not that might calm him down. A lot of kittens do go through a phase of biting and chasing when they are young?

Yes he was neutered on 17th August. I was hoping that would calm him down but it hasn't. Not sure if it would happen immediately or with time tho?

Thanks for your reply :)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 19:22:48 PM »
has he been neutered yet? If not that might calm him down. A lot of kittens do go through a phase of biting and chasing when they are young?

Offline Rolacolacube

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Emi
Naughty kitten
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 02:23:32 AM »
Hi all

Hoping someone can help me.

I am the proud kitty Mom of 4 cats aged almost 5 years old, 4 years old, 6 months old and 5 months old. I am having a significant amount of trouble with the youngest (who is a foster fail). I originally fostered him at 5 days old with his Mom and 2 of his siblings. His Mom wasn't people friendly at all and I wonder whether he has learnt bad behaviour from her?

Firstly, he bites. I expect kittens to bite when playing etc but he does it completely out of the blue with no reasoning behind it. Secondly, he terrorises my other 3. It's completely different to playing. He chases them and bites their legs and they spend a lot of time hiding which I can't have as it isn't fair on them. I'm not sure if him being the only male would make any difference or the youngest so he is trying to be boss? Lastly, he is a destroyer of cables! So far, he has destroyed 6 phone charger cables, xbox cables, speaker cables, landline phone wires, phone line and headphone cables. We've covered them in foil coated tape and use lemon which apparently kittens hate but no success. The cost and inconvenience is bad enough but he could seriously hurt himself.

I just don't know what to do. I feel at a loss on the best thing for him and the others.

Can anyone offer any advice? If I've not given enough details or you need to ask anything else, please do.

Thanks so much xx
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:21:56 PM by Rolacolacube »

Link to CatChat