Author Topic: Cat mint?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
Re: Cat mint?
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 21:24:22 PM »
Wow Mark that's a fab flower bed! Hopefully ours will carry on growing and be half as good as that next year!

I'm just glad he likes it - trying to do as much as I can to keep him close to home (see hunting thread for reasons lol!) so the more fun I can make our garden the better! We were looking at outdoor cat houses yesterday, somewhere for him to sit in the dry and survey the area in comfort during the winter!  ;)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 15:23:46 PM »
Helen, it's great to hear that your new plants have been a success!  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 15:21:29 PM »
Right to left -cat grass (+ various herbs) catnip, cat mint and then there is the blue grass that they all seem to be more interested in!  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 12:16:14 PM »
Yay!!   Moray also likes to do that with his little pot of catmint too.   :Luv:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 10:44:18 AM »
Just thought I would update this, but we did get a catmint plant for His Highness, and it's gone down a treat!

He hasn't destroyed it, yet, but every time he is let out he heads to his little corner of the patio, which has the catmint in a pot, and also a pot with cat grass in. He loves rubbing on the catmint, especially if we go over and squish the leaves a bit, then he will have a good nibble! Then he will nibble the cat grass, and head off for his adventures :)

So in summary, a success!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 00:47:02 AM »
I Plant catnip in pots, the one time I put it in the (front) garden it was fine the first year even though we did get visitor cats nibbling, it was an established plant bought from a garden centre, when it tried to come up the next year it got rolled into oblivion. In pots I can tear some off, let my cats go nuts on it and then stick it in either the greenhouse or the utility room and that seems to work.

Hope that helps. :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 23:45:56 PM »
We had some border planted a couple of months back. Our brief to the gardener was cat-safe and cat-friendly.He planted some catmint and catnip, as well as various grasses + some other things like thornless roses etc. Oddy, none of my 3 cats, nor visiting cats are very interested in the cat mint and catnip - they seem to favour the grasses. One of them chews the purple flowers on the catmint, but theyare groing like wildfire. I haven't seen a single cat roll in them
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 20:42:36 PM »
Ooh thanks Mymbles, that's really interesting! Definitely getting him some cat grass to put in pots around the garden, and keeping a couple of more mature shrubs for hiding under too. I might well have to add a dry hiding spot somewhere as well come to think of it - he went out this morning and got utterly soaked in a sudden downpour bless him!

Hmm yes I hadn't thought about attracting other cats! We rarely see any others, probably as we are surrounded by gardens with dogs, so I might try putting some in a pot to start with and see what happens perhaps!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 19:25:28 PM »
I thought of planting some for Alf. However, I decided against it as Alf isn't very dominant and I don't want to attract lots of other cats into the garden.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 19:19:50 PM »
I remember my mother-in-law used to grow it and bring some up for our cat. She did say it was hard to grow as all the local cats would roll on it  :naughty:

This is an interesting little article about cat gardens

http://www.yourcat.co.uk/Neighbourhood-Cat-Campaign/create-a-cat-friendly-garden.html
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 19:20:33 PM by Mymblesdaughter »

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
Cat mint?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 18:18:20 PM »
We are having our garden sorted out next week, and I'm just researching what to plant in our nice new flowerbeds!

Does anyone recommend catmint plants? I like the idea of having something 'attractive and fun' for Buddy in our garden, but if he's going to go nuts/be permanently high, and squash it or something, maybe not a good idea LOL?!  :shocked:

Link to CatChat