Author Topic: Weight loss in elderly cat - any ideas?  (Read 7051 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Weight loss in elderly cat - any ideas?
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 14:16:11 PM »
IT WAS UMMMMMMMMMM MY HEAD HAS JUST DIED!!

THE PATE ONE ALSO FROM VETS BUT CAN BY ONLINE,,,,,,,,,,,,,CANT REMEMBER NAME BUT THAT SAVED MY KOCKAS LIFE AND SHE USED TO EAT IT OFF MY FINGER..CAN SEE TIN BUT NOT NAME GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 08:52:52 AM »
I'm convinced liquivite saved our Bobbys life when he had cat flu.  He ate so very little for so many weeks. 

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 23:13:02 PM »
Liquivite is 2.49 for a small tin. When Tabby was alive I bought a tin from the vets. Would she eat it?  :censored: of course not! :evillaugh:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 23:04:34 PM »
This soup is really just an expensive gimmick but I can see it being useful to get a reluctant cat drinking more
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzie and Tiggie
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 22:45:21 PM »
It's too late, they already have expensive taste (Whiskas Salmon and Gourmet Gold)! They'll be chauffeur-driven in a Rolls Royce down to the village to make their own selection next.
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 22:37:04 PM »
The single sachet I got was from Sainsbury a couple of weeks ago - on offer at 50p per pouch if I remember rightly.

Just be careful not to encourage the cats to get expensive taste!!!  :evillaugh:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 22:32:43 PM »
Tesco only had big multi-packs of cat soup and I only wanted a tin or two. In the end I bought a little can of Gourmet Gold with Salmon, which is a terrine and not soup at all.
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 21:58:09 PM »
I think one of the pet food companies should  make a completely smooth liquid cat soup with no bits, for all the fussy, toothless, old moggies out there 8)

Liquivite  :)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 19:55:34 PM »
yes its not really soup, its just meaty bits in clear gravy.  My Tabby liked the Whiskas soups, but again, lots of meaty bits in there, so I had to cut the corner of the sachet off and squirt all the soupy juice out, which she liked. I once tried blending it all into a fine soup but, of course, she didn't like that.  I think one of the pet food companies should  make a completely smooth liquid cat soup with no bits, for all the fussy, toothless, old moggies out there 8)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 19:56:25 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 16:47:49 PM »
I got a pouch of the Gourmet soup to try for my 3. All of them liked it, although a bit of the meat was left.

It's just like a finely shredded meat in quite a lot of gravy rather than a soup!

I've just seen Felix have brought one out that they say you can also pour it over dried food?!  :eeeew:

Don't remember what its called, but dont fancy that idea....  :Crazy:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 12:22:12 PM »
I can imagine cat soup being good for our office cats as the environment is very hot and dry. Our cats are quite elderly too. I may buy some this afternoon to try later in the week. I would be interested to hear how you get on with it Lotzy4, or in anyone's experience of giving soup to cats. 

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »
Thanks for your replies and support.

Cloveart, I haven't tried the Gourmet soups yet. I understand Gourmet Gold is higher in phosphorus than some products, and as I'm trying to keep this down I'm sticking with what he'll eat at the moment. If he goes off it, then I'll check the level of phosphorus for my lad. The product is advertised with no preservatives, colourants or flavourings which makes it sound good.

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 22:15:37 PM »
Good to have the update. He may enjoy some of the Gourmet soups

Has anyone tried the soup for cats?

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 21:48:20 PM »
Trouble got very scrawny by the end of his 17 almost 18 years, he still ate AGAIL like a trooper, still lost wieght, but I honestly believe that when you have an elderly cat it is quality of life that matters. He enjoyed the AGAIL, wasn't keen on the 'special' foods even though his kidneys were failing.

My thoughts on the matter anyway.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 17:04:43 PM »
I AGREE WITH DAWN  :censored: BETTER QUALITY FOOD ITS WHAT HE WILL EAT THAT IS MOST IMPORTANT.  :hug: :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 22:43:41 PM »
Good to have the update. He may enjoy some of the Gourmet soups

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 15:31:38 PM »
I'd let him eat what he likes at his age to be honest as we all know if you find something they like its worth its weight in gold

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 15:13:25 PM »
Just an update from my post last year as CKD was mentioned by various posters.

The vet tested Toby's blood again in November as I was still concerned about him and nothing showed up.  I took him back earlier this month as he'd started drinking more and you can now easily feel his backbone and ribs.  This time the blood tests showed renal disease. In 2014 he weighed 6.85kg and he's now at 4.25kg - I have no idea if it's connected to renal disease but bearing in mind a lot of renal function has already been lost when symptons appear, it does make me wonder. I didn't worry about the initial weight loss in 2014/15 as we moved house and he no longer had neighbours to visit who gave him snacks.

He's been a little pain over renal food, occasionally will scoff the lot, other times won't even touch it. I started buying Felix AGAIL Senior as his sister wasn't eating very well - and he seems to like this - I know it's not ideal, but he's eating better than he has done in ages and I think the extra food and liquid are doing him good - I'm half hoping he's put on a tiny bit of weight.  The vet suggested I try him on a higher quality cat food, by trying to understand what's best is another matter!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »
Always a good idea to have elderly cats tested for common illnesses and delighted to hear that all is well. It's good that your vet not jumping to medicate top end of normal T4 result too.

Hope nothing comes of crackly chest esp as he is uncooperative with pills  and you can enjoy the years ahead with Toby  :)

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 14:19:54 PM »
Thanks for your replies. The vet phoned to say his liver, kidney and glucose levels are all normal. His thyroid is verging towards the top level of being normal, but they wouldn't normally treat at this stage. She suggested I keep an eye on any noisybreathing or coughing bearing in mind his chest was crackly (and had no temperature), but if I had no worries to take him back in three months for weighing and review.

Whatever the future holds for him, I feel it's just a case of keeping the little monster comfortable in his old age.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 07:25:29 AM »
Sorry Rosella, probably got that wrong!

Drum was diagnosed at least two years ago with CKD but has had no symptoms other than drinking a little more than usual (which hasn't increased since diagnosis). Possibly the weight loss is part of that, but she has a great appetite (for everything except renal prescription food!). I weigh her regularly now and she's not lost any more.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 23:26:49 PM »
I would expect  a certain amount of weight loss through muscle wastage by age 17.  Hyper T not always easy to detect though from physical exam so it's good that blood being tested for that and kidneys. 

2kgs alot of weight to lose.  Over what sort of period? If 4 or 5 years, maybe to be expected bit if only a couple of years maybe of more concern?  :hug:

Don't understand vet not linking weight loss to CKD Jezebel  :-: I thought it was one of the more common symptoms?

Howling can be linked to deafness  :shy:

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 21:45:36 PM »
Thanks for your further replies.  Vet let Toby go in the room and had to follow him around the room until she was brave enough to grab him nad then had to get nurse in to take blood from Toby, so he sounds a bit like Moses the Devil cat.  Pilling him will be impossible if that's what he needs to help him.  I guess I will just have to see what vet says tomorrow and, if nothing comes up, ask what they suggest next. 

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 19:02:50 PM »
Sounds exactly the same as one of our cats (Moses the Devil Cat) who is around 17. He has lost quite a bit of weight but has always been a fussy eater. He went to the vets last year for blood tests but the vet ended up giving more blood than the cat!  :naughty: :naughty: Couldn't find much wrong with him. Thyroid was okay. Wanted to do a parathyroid test but involved taking blood a few times over a few days and over £500 and I don't think the vet was keen as he had a large bandage around his thumb! :evillaugh: Moses has begun to come upstairs in the morning around 6am and howls and howls and howls!!! He does have a heart murmur too and drinks lots of water.  But seems fine in himself just very skinny........ Think he just getting a bit old and confused......
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 19:04:12 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 19:01:25 PM »
Elderly cats do lose weight. My tabby (Drum), who's 16 next month, was always a bit tubby until about two years ago. She was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, although the vet doesn't think this has caused the weight loss.

I try and give her good quality, high protein food like Royal Canin and Encore, and although so far she hasn't put any weight on, she's not lot lost any more.

Good luck with Toby's tests, I hope they come back clear.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 18:22:11 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I think the blood the vet took today will measure T4 levels and glucose levels.  Vet thinks its unlikely to be hyperthyroidism, but I still wanted that tested as his sister has it.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 18:12:24 PM »
I would have a full blood panel done and include T4 and diabetes sugar curve both have caused weight loss in our oldies
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
Weight loss in elderly cat - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 17:21:47 PM »
Toby is nearly 17 years old. We first realized he'd lost weight about a year ago (after we'd moved house so put it down to that), and in March his weight had reduced again (but this was overshadowed by the fact his sister had also lost weight and the vet was worried about her heart - she had hyperthyroidism).

Anyway, took him to the vet today as I felt he'd lost more weight - he was overweight for most of his life at 6.85 but is now 4.85. He's showing interest in food and no other symptons I'd noticed than a couple of coughing sessions over that four months and howling for no known reason. Vet has taken bloods for testing from memory for hyperthyroidism, glucose levels, kidney and liver functions. She doesn't think it's hyperthyroidism. She felt around his tummy, checked teeth and temperature - all okay. She did notice a wheezey chest (everything was fine back in March) but didn't seem overly worried about his couple of coughing fits.

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts ahead of getting results tomorrow, or there's anything I should ask when the vet phones.

Link to CatChat