Author Topic: Advice needed about stray cat  (Read 4632 times)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
Re: Advice needed about stray cat
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 08:06:43 AM »
Ive ordered some more zylkene with next day delivery because I want to try it as soon as possible. Scruff has taken to eating, then sitting on the doorstep or jumping up onto the windowsill and my belle is going absolutely crazy inside. Belle even swiped at Meeko and that's the first time I've ever seen anything like that from him. I'm terrified of him getting so stressed his cystitis comes back.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 05:44:17 AM »
I think you might have too, Sue. We call all our pets Disney names but if we called him Rafiki from The Lion King we could call him Raff for short lol. If I could show you the pics of him with the long coat you would understand why he got the name Scruff! God love him his coat was an awful mess. He comes to the name now when I call him though!

When he came last night I was able to pet him for a good 5 minutes without him growling. Bless him, he usually does growl to warn me to get my hand away before he scratches. It's really strange for me to have to be wary petting a cat, mine are all so gentle and loving. They've never scratched or bitten. But we live on a big housing estate and God only knows what has been done on Scruff round here. I'm positive sure kids are bound to have picked on him.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 04:39:49 AM »
I think you just might of Sue - Raffles, (the gentleman thief for the youngsters ;)) :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 02:57:08 AM »
Oh he's fabulous - very raffish appearance.  :Luv2:  Yes he deserves a splendid name for sure

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 21:59:17 PM »
Thank you, me too! I think I'll try Belle on it too. He gets really anxious when he's inside and Scruff is in the garden

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 20:05:11 PM »
I really hope the Zylkene works :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 17:54:00 PM »
He looks so much better since he went to the vet. And he's putting weight on since he was wormed. Before he was eating more than my 4 cats combined and he was still skin and bone. You can't feel all the bones in his spine now when you stroke him. He doesn't smell since he was neutered and I've noticed he seems to be keeping his paws cleaner. The thing is if he stopped this aggressive behaviour I'm nearly positive my cats would accept him. Neighbour's cats come into my garden and mine don't mind. As soon as he sees my cats he starts this roaring thing at them.

Offline Cherry24

• Distinguished Cat
  • Work from home which means 24/7 cat cuddles
  • Slave to: Freya & Gobi
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 17:44:13 PM »
Wow he's super handsome and looks in great condition for a stray. You're obviously looking after him really well.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 17:24:36 PM »
what a gorgeous white Poirot moustache he has
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 17:14:30 PM »
I need to give him a kinder name lol. I think I've shrank the pic.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 17:10:23 PM »
You're welcome Paula.

It's never been a problem getting the zylkene to go down  - cats seem to love it and I just sprinkle it in the food or their cat milk.  Scruff sounds beautiful.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 17:02:27 PM »
It's the opposite here, my cats are twice the size of Scruff. He's a beautiful boy. Hopefully the zyklene will help him and maybe calm him enough for me to be able to brush him. He's long haired and in the winter his hair gets in an awful state, hence the name Scruff. When he was at the vets they cut all the knots out of his hair so his coat is in good condition now, I want to try and keep on top of it. I wish I knew how to make files smaller so I could show you all a photo of him. He really is gorgeous

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 16:40:31 PM »
I have been using Amazon, 20 capsules for £10.49, I have been giving him a whole one once a day and I have been giving the others 1/2 a day if they start getting skittish, when he is calm sometimes I don't give him any for a couple of days. I am letting myself be guided by the cats. I just mix it in with their wet food, they don't seem to notice or mind. I am using it less and less these days.

My new cat is a big muscular boy and if he wanted to cause damage he could. The three kitten cats are 2/3rds of his size or less, my big girl is heavier but an out and out coward and not nearly as strong. It is definitely helping us.

Thanks again Sue :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 16:21:50 PM »
Thanks so much everybody. I've just ordered some from eBay. Just need to think of a clever way to get it in him now! He's a smart little man. He really can be a lovely cat, it's just this bullying and fighting. My cats aren't fighting types. I'll get some feliway spray too. I would try anything to help the whole situation. I'm terrified of him getting hold of one of mine and doing serious damage.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 13:46:52 PM »
Yes, definitely worth looking online.  I normally get ours through an ebay supplier.   Will see if I can get their details. It really has had a wonderful effect on our two semi ferals.  Also worth buying some pet remedy spray or feliway and spraying some of the areas he likes to hang out, such as the shelter in the garden.  You can spray it on fabric or sheets of absorbent paper and hang them safely in the kennel area, just topping up with a squirt or so each day. 

Really wish you success with this, as I suspect he could be a lovely cat if his territorial behavior can be brought under control.   :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 13:39:31 PM »
Zylkene is sold as a 'food supplement', it's based on milk protein I think, and - as Dawn said - is available without prescription. Have a look around online to see what is the cheapest as the stores all seem to run various special offers.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 13:29:16 PM »
you can buy it online - good luck!

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 13:26:45 PM »
Thanks a million for your reply. That is brilliant advice and I would never have thought of it. Will the vet give it to me without seeing the cat? I very much doubt I could trap him again. Trying to add a photo of him but the file is too big

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 12:38:42 PM »
I recently fostered (now adopted) an ex-stray, he still has his moments with my other four, but Sue advised me to try Zylkene in his food and it does seem to have helped, he had only just been neutered when he came to me and it seems to have taken quite a while for his hormone levels to drop. He still takes an unseemly interest in the girls bottoms, much to their disgust, but he is getting better all the time. Hope that helps.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
Advice needed about stray cat
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:58:18 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm sorry I haven't been here in a long time and now I'm here for advice, but I'm having so many problems with a stray cat and don't know where else to go.

There's this cat, I call him Scruff, he's been about on and off for about 2 years. I started feeding him when I saw him eating bread a neighbour had put out for the birds. I could get near but not touch him at that stage.

Once I started feeding him he was hanging about my garden all the time. I got a dog kennel so he would have shelter. The big problem I have is he is such a bully :-(

He has got the hold of my Belle twice, both times he rips hair out of him leaving big bald patches and Belle didn't even fight back.

Now I can pet him but he suddenly turns quite vicious. I was across the yard the other day and he just ran and attacked my leg.

About 2 months ago I trapped him, got him neutered, wormed and de-flead. I thought he would be much better since he was fixed but there hasn't been much progress.

I do love him and am willing to take him on but the whole thing is a nightmare. I think he thinks my yard is his territory. He's started going for my Tigger now too.

Does anybody have any advice at all? I'm anxious the whole time my cats are out now and I'm sure they are too. I have feliway in the house.

Link to CatChat