Author Topic: why not corn?  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Mom to Eight

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Peanut, Lucky, Cazzy, Mittens, Cowboy, Speedy, Ray, Willie.
Re: why not corn?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 17:31:44 PM »
Old cats seem to like to eat cat nip too. So maybe things in moderation. Whole food wise. I still question putting the other grains things as being better... Isn't one as bad as the other commercially?? :shocked: :rofl: :Crazy: the more expensive isn't better.. ;) :shy: :briggin:
All cats are masterpieces.
My cats that are over the rainbow: Jake, Alice, Ashia, Angel, Julie,Breezy, Meuzette and Babydoll

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 23:47:04 PM »
As Sue said, they are obligate carnivores, apart from grass (????????)
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 21:04:38 PM »
Sue, I completely agree with you about fruit and veg in cat food. It's there to appeal to people who don't know better and think that '5 a day' applies to animals too!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 17:37:50 PM »
Succinct and to the point Lyn.   It isn't just grains.

Tuna isn't good for cats if they eat too much.   :shify:  Raisins are toxic.   :doh: Dairy can cause tummy upsets (but most cats love a bit of cheese as a treat.)

Cats are obligate carnivores, and their diets should reflect that.

One of my pet hates is cat food that has things in like peas or carrots - that's done purely to pander to human ideas on what comprises a tasty meal.

Sweet that Lucky likes to pick out his own.   :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 16:45:15 PM »
If you are talking about 'corn', ie grains, in cereal, the problem is that they are just useless fillers that have little nutritional value. Cats digestive systems are not adapted to eat cereals and putting them into cat food is simply a cost saving exercise.

As far as your puss and his popcorn is concerned, as long as it is an occasional treat, it shouldn't do any harm

Offline Mom to Eight

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Peanut, Lucky, Cazzy, Mittens, Cowboy, Speedy, Ray, Willie.
why not corn?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 16:37:55 PM »
Why the push for no corn?
When I ask my cats to eat popcorn or corn on the cob, they like it.
I get strange reactions when I ask them to eat, sweet potatoes, potatoes, wheat, oatmeal.
So why is it the corn people say they can't have?
My Lucky loves his popcorn. He likes to pick out his own kernels though.
All cats are masterpieces.
My cats that are over the rainbow: Jake, Alice, Ashia, Angel, Julie,Breezy, Meuzette and Babydoll

Link to CatChat