Author Topic: A virulent year for fleas?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: A virulent year for fleas?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 19:23:59 PM »
I am now the worstest meouwmy in the whole wide world :naughty:, I though hang on, the cats are due to be treated again. I have actually managed to do them all on the same day, Merlin has just about forgiven me, Bob will probably take longer. :naughty: :shify:, she is a funny little cat. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
We did start to get a problem in the house with the Frontline, although I believe it was reformulated last year, that is when my vet recommended the Advantage about three years ago and we haven't had to do the house since. I would know if they were bringing them in as anything that likes blood just loves me. >:(

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »
We use Frontline at the moment on the cats and Acclaim for the carpets and furnishings, but think we may have to try an alternative.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 06:51:50 AM »
I prefer the Advantage 4-5 weekly, ticks, fleas, ear mites and some worms including heartworm,and  parasitic mange. They still get a worming pill every three months as well as it doesn't do tapeworm. We haven't had a problem since we started to use it. The fleas down here were becoming immune to the Frontline so I went to Advantage and haven't had a problem since.

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 00:51:44 AM »
No problems with our cat either, he gets Frontlined every four/five weeks which covers ticks as well as fleas

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 21:27:23 PM »
My two seem OK. I do them with Advantage every 4 - 5 weeks.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »
I'm in Birmingham and we share our home with 7 cats .  Haven't noticed a flea problem here.  We tend to treat every couple of months during the summer and spray the house thoroughly once a year. 

I wonder if austerity is forcing people to try cheaper and less reliable treatments?

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 07:23:14 AM »
Our three have all just been treated because they'd begun scratching.   :tired:  Such a pain at this time of year what with the fleas, harvest mites and grass seeds/soldier's buttons (goosegrass burrs  :evillaugh:) - and slugs.  Things we've all had cause to ponder over the  last week or so. 

Emma, I saw those poor little scraps, and that there were - literally - hundreds of fleas removed in total.  Hats off to those dedicated volunteers (of which you're one).

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 21:17:08 PM »
I haven't had any particular problem with the little bu$$ers.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
A virulent year for fleas?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 20:56:43 PM »
Was just wondering if anyone else had been having a worse year than normal?

My cats go outdoors, so I deflea mine pretty much monthly. But I do know a couple of people with indoor cats (one with two 10yr+ cats that have NEVER had fleas) that have recently had fleas.

The rescue I help with has had about a dozen kittens in (from 3 different 'homes') all riddled with fleas - some have been hospitalised overnight for observation too.

Is it just a coincidence, or has anyone else noticed it being worse?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Link to CatChat