Author Topic: Tabby now on Loxicam  (Read 3171 times)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
Re: Tabby now on Loxicam
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 22:39:26 PM »
Yes it is Metacam but my vet said it is used a lot for cats now and is safe. They have be careful on cats with kidney problems unless they are stable on meds which Tabby is at the moment.  She is a low dose to start, and we will see how she goes. She is overweight which doesn't help but losing it slowly as cutting her food down. Hopefully if it helps her pain she may get a bit more active. Her most active period is when I have gone to bed and she decides that rolling over to get her tummy tickled, pouncing on my toes and then sitting on my pillow headbutting me! Little madam! :naughty: :naughty: It's nice to hear from others whose cats have been on it, that really helps :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 01:55:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure that it is the generic version of Metacam?

My vet, who only deals with cats, goes to lots of cat seminars etc. She said the latest studies show that it increases the lifespan of older cats - partly due to increased appetite and also because it increases mobility. Just the usual precautions - that they eat before having a dose and that the max dose should be for a cat's expected lean weight - so in otherwords, if a cat is overweight, it should be dosed on what it's bodyweight should be, rather than actual. Kylie was on 1/2 dose and Alice before her, was on the full dose for several years.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 23:39:04 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 21:14:17 PM »
Hope it helps Tabby out. What a fantastic age she is - hopefully she will have her symptoms eased.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 17:06:34 PM »
Fingers crossed Heather.   :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 17:00:58 PM »
Poor Tabs, I do hope that makes her more comfortable!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
Tabby now on Loxicam
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 16:24:45 PM »
Tabby who is now 21 and quite stiff with arthritis is now on low dose Loxicam. I wasn't keen to put her on it as years ago my other cat had it when it wasn't licenced for cats and he had internal bleeding :(. But now she is stiff on her back legs and her back vet has suggested we try her on a low dose. Just given her the first dose and fingers crossed it will help her :scared:

Link to CatChat