Author Topic: Bonding cats  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Bonding cats
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »
At least he accepts that it will take some time for us to earn Sky's trust - and that we can't start thinking about introducing her to Alfie until she is much more relaxed.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 22:32:38 PM »
Oh dear Lyn and hope he learns  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 20:46:26 PM »
Time is the key and I do mean time, not a week but could be a month or more!

I wish someone could make hubby understand that!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 17:18:15 PM »
Time is the key and I do mean time, not a week but could be a month or more!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 16:22:36 PM »
I will be in a similar situation soon, so am watching this with interest.

Last time we introduced another cat into our household we rushed it and it didn't go too well. We now have a newcomer in the spare room and will be introducing her to Alfie when the time is right. She's a very timid little thing so we will be taking it v e r y slowly  ;D

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »
Thanks guys. We have done most of that stuff already. We put Ruth back in the bedroom in the end last night so that Sadie could have some time to herself. Trouble is that Sadie is a generally grumpy cat and doesn't like cuddles. My M i L tried to talk to her and fuss her while Ruth was exploring and she just hissed and growled at her. I think Sadie is a bit scared of Ruth, my M i L is a bit scared of Sadie as she is loud and a bit aggressive. I think from everything I have read that for a first face to face meeting it went well but my husband hates the noises that Sadie makes and thinks it must have gone badly. I just wish they both believed that it actually went well yesterday.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
Good advice from Gill, especially about the "not rushing" things.  And use food as an incentive.  Feeding either side of a closed door helps them to get used to each other's scent whilst they're eating - one of the most important moments in the day for a cat.   It works on the same principle as the scent swapping Gill mentioned.

Mutual play as well, once they're both able to be in the same space together without any fisticuffs or hissy fits. 

Continue to make a fuss of Sadie, and to show Sadie that there is more than enough of everything - love, beds, food and comfort - to go round both of the cats and to spare. 

Also, two plug ins - one upstairs and one downstairs - Pet Remedy is great.  They'll help.  You can also buy a spray, which you can use on bedding, furnishings and your hands, which will help to calm them. 

You can also buy a very safe food supplement called Zylkene, which you sprinkle on the food, or mix in with cat specific milk.  They seem to love it, and that too has a calming effect.  I would use it on both cats, to get the best benefit.

(I love that little guinea pig from the Secret Life of Pets  :evillaugh:  We had a white guinea called Snowy who once won us a tea set in a school raffle  :Luv:)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 02:04:17 AM »
You need to take your time with this..I mean your M in L.

Best way is to keep newbie in a room  and exchange scents of each cat withthe other one.some cloths or blankets they have laid on, put with the other cat so they get used to each others smell. After a few days swap the location of the new cat and let the original cat explore the rmshe has come from,

Gradually let the new cat explore the house while the other cat is shut in a room or out.

Once each cat is happy to be in the places that the other cat has ben then its time for face to face introductions, not in  acage but be rwady to intervene in the case of problems a pillowis useful and toys on strings to distract them.
You have to be patientand not rush things.

Offline Guineapiggle

• Kitten
Bonding cats
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 20:54:21 PM »
My mother in law has got a young female cat Ruth and is trying to bond her with her existing slightly older, slightly grumpy female cat Sadie. Ruth has spent several days in the back bedroom and we have brought her down a few times each day over the weekend in the carrier. She was quite upset at being confined and would cry. Sadie would growl and hiss at her but never went to swipe her. We thought that Ruth crying was upsetting Sadie and maybe it would be better to let them meet properly. We have now let Ruth out. Sadie is not very happy about the intruder and is sat on the sofa growling when Ruth goes past. She is not growling as much as she was but she hasn't moved off the sofa for over an hour and a half. She hasn't gone for Ruth just growled and hissed. She is growling at my mother in law when she goes too close too. Does she need more space? Should we put Ruth back in the bedroom and try again tomorrow? Is it like guinea pigs where if you separate them after introduction it's hard for them tomorrow when they meet again?

Link to CatChat