Author Topic: Hs anyone used Ronseal decking oil?  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Hs anyone used Ronseal decking oil?
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 14:48:41 PM »
Thanks Sue :) - looks like we might be ordering some of that. Will just check ingredients if I can find a safety datasheet and donate the Ronseal to the friend who recommended it - she only has dogs, so much easier to keep them away from it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 08:50:09 AM »
Mark, I saw this, and thought of this thread:

http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/store/customer/product.php?productid=20077

I think if you're in any doubt I wouldn't use it.  Maybe opt for the stuff above, or a beeswax based product.  So many of the proprietary stuff have chemicals added to promote speedier drying.   

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 08:29:49 AM »
I think they are all ok once dry I've used it in the past and linseed and oh is paranoid about that because the cloths can catch fire!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 16:04:03 PM »
Don't know about decking oil, but just checked the bottle of linseed oil and it definitely doesn't say hazardous to animals, just not to swallow it and to keep out of the way of children, so as long as it's dried in before you let the cats on it I think it should be OK.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Hs anyone used Ronseal decking oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 11:29:16 AM »
We had a deck put in last summer and wanted to treat it to stop it rotting. We bought some decking oil after a friend recommended it, but wary of using it because of the cats. Looking at the safety data sheet, it looks quite scary - any experience, or safer alternatives? - I would rather use something like Linseed oil (assuming it is safe) and have to redo it more often, than risk harming the cats.

Any thoughts?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat