Author Topic: Dry food advice?  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Dry food advice?
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 20:24:05 PM »
A lot of vets sell dry food, but not regular wet food, so you may not get impartial advice from yours, Helen
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 19:10:07 PM »
I mix and match the food and most of the time they both eat whatever they are given.  Robbie only really likes AGAIL but will eat some Applaws. Sky, being Sky, wants the most expensive high meat content food that there is!  Sadly I can't afford to give in to her so she has to have AGAIL most of the time with posh food thrown in every 2 or 3 days.  I tried to work out how much it would cost if I fed her on expensive food and it would bankrupt me as she doesn't eat less of it!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 18:46:39 PM »
Wet food here as well. Kito is now all wet with just a little dry as treats. Mosi has some dry but he's having tummy troubles so can't change his diet at the moment. I do think it's more akin to what a cat would ear in the wild and it is very difficult to get enough water into them when eating all dry. I think there is some evidence of a link between dry food and UTIs but I can't give refs so make of that what you will. I do think some wet food would be good and that even the poorest quality wet is better than the best dry.

I personally believe that variety helps prevent fussiness but that's just my view and experience.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 22:08:42 PM »
Sootyca - lol typical fussy felines!

I think that's one of the things I'm thinking about though. With Moomin it took an absolute age and huge cost to finally get her food sorted. As soon as we started trying different foods, she got very fussy, and would love something then go off it after a few days after switching, and we ended up with her only eating the v expensive wet. This led to dental issues etc, as she would never ever touch dry.

I'm going to chat to our vet when we take him in for his booking in appointment and get their advice on what's going to be best. He's more than happy with the dry at the moment, so for the meantime I'm sticking to that, to help him settle in.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 21:51:51 PM »
I've only just worked out what AGAIL stands for  :-[

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 20:33:55 PM »
Mine only like Felix AGAIL wet, 2-3 a day each, and they love the Royal Canine dry and that is down all the time, with fresh water as well.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 18:07:55 PM »
I use Science Plan or Royal Canine biscuits with wet food too

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 05:53:03 AM »
Another wet food fan here, with some dry for small snacks, but we have to go with what our cats will eat.  I'd stick with both if you can.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 22:51:24 PM »
I was told Sky loved James Wellbeloved Fish biscuits....all she would eat......got her home, stocked up on biscuits and she wouldn't touch them at all!   :rofl:

If I could do it again I would try getting them on more of a high meat content wet food - Robbie loves his Felix and resists all efforts to turn his taste buds to better food.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 22:34:13 PM »
Hmm ok, maybe we will have a think about it then and maybe chat to our vets when we get him registered.

I'll leave him on the current food for now, so we don't mess things around for him.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 22:04:17 PM »
We have 7 of the blighters  :innocent:

Some prefer wet and some dry but they all have a mixture by sprinkling dry on top of wet if they won't eat wet.  I am also of opinion that wholly dry diet not healthy  :shy:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 22:05:16 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 21:43:16 PM »
The most up to date thinking about cat food is that dry, especially all dry is not a good thing for cats. They naturally don't drink much as they get their moisture from their food. So this can cause illnesses. I have one who only eats dry and have tried everything to get him to eat wet. Why not just feed a mix of the two?       

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 21:01:16 PM »
I wasn't planning on any wet, mainly as the rescue centre said he was never bothered by it when they would put it down, and he mainly stuck to dry so I was just going to carry on with that?

I am also a little reticent to go back to wet as we had so much trouble with our previous cat being incredibly fussy, and just the smell and mess :/

He is drinking totally fine at the moment so that should offset a purely dry diet?

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 20:22:40 PM »
I wouldn't feed just dry food either.  Mine get two wet and one dry daily and I'm currently using James Wellbeloved light, both the fish and the turkey, which they all seem to like.  I also use the JW oral - bigger biscuit - as a treat :-:.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 16:06:06 PM »
I personally wouldn't feed my cat solely on dry food but that is just personal preference.  I don't let Sky have any dry at all now and her weight has really dropped. 

She did used to like the James Wellbeloved (as did Robbie) and it is easy to get hold of so you aren't reliant on internet deliveries - I looked for a high meat content and no grain but I'm not sure if I was right in this.  I would certainly go for a high meat content food.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
Dry food advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:01:50 AM »
Hello Again Everyone  :)

Ive posted recently in the rescue forum, as we have just adopted ourselves a new furry friend after loosing our lovely Moomin earlier in the year  :Luv2:

I'm just after some advice in dry foods if that would be ok? Moomin was on wet food, so I've not had much experience of dry! Bud is currently on Applaws Chicken, but I've read that it can cause upset tummies, and he did have a bit of a stinker incident in his tray yesterday (could also have been stress of coming home though of course).

I'd like to try and get him moved onto a really good quality dry food, as I think the was on a very mixed diet at the shelter due to whatever they had in donations, and was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations? I've read good things about James Wellbeloved?

Link to CatChat