Author Topic: Bonnie - panting?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Bonnie - panting?
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 20:27:15 PM »
2 minutes is quite a long time when you think about how a cat would hunt - stalking then pouncing. Not a lot of running involved.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 00:27:25 AM »
I think so - hyperventilating with excitment
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 23:07:58 PM »
Well I got the toy out this evening and after 2 mins of playing off she pants again. Huffing and going but as soon as I put it away, pretty much stops panting straightaway.  It must just be over excitement of the toy!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 17:44:19 PM »
Alfie used to do this after a session with 'da bird'. The other thing he would so was 'huff' in excitement when he saw the toy come out  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 13:35:51 PM »
If it's after she's been chasing something and running flat out, even if only for a short time, it sounds normal especially if she stops when she has a rest.  I think Jackson Galaxy actually says cats should be panting after a good workout? If there is a change in how quickly she starts to pant then that might warrant a trip to the vet. Has she panted before or is it just this particular toy that gets her running out flat so that she pants? They can pant quite quickly if they run up and down chasing something and sometimes they find a toy they really love and just go flat out running after it.

Definitely keep the string away from Barnaby. I left da bird rod lying around for just a few moments during a play session with Mosi when he was little and he chewed through it. He vomited up some of it (including the clasp) but quite a bit of it was unaccounted for so he had to have surgery to look inside in case any was tangled up in there.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 08:47:03 AM »
Well that's why I was a bit concerned because yesterday evening we had only been playing a very short amount of time before she started panting.  However when I put the toy away she stopped panting instantly so maybe it is that she's getting very involved in the toy. She doesn't get to play with that specific toy very often but she loves it. The reason being is that it has a long stretchy string  attached to a bird type you and barnaby loves and I means LOVEZ chewing through that type of string.  So we have to try and keep it away from him so he doesn't break it haha :)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 07:27:20 AM »
Most of our kittens have ended up panting after exertive play sessions.  It shows they've been working hard for their "prey"

Bonnie is absolutely beautiful, isn't she?   :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 01:32:19 AM »
It's normal provided it's just after play. Cats aren't designed for sustained running and chasing so when they get involved in chasing toys they can get out of breath. The important thing is that it stops when they take a break. Jaffa used to get so involved in running he'd pant as a kitten. I remember asking the vet about it and was reassured it was normal and nothing to worry about. His brother Magpie didn't exert himself as much and didn't pant. Mosi was a panter when he was a kitten but Kito isn't as he doesn't race around as madly. It's usually the lively ones who race around so much they end up panting.

If you're ever concerned about it or she's panting after minimal exertion get her checked over at the vets

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 23:35:30 PM »
I think it's quite normal especially if they are enjoying the play session.  Robbie never had an off switch when playing with da bird - you could see he was exhausted and really panting but he kept going.  I monitor hid sessions now!

She's gorgeous :)

Thank you. She's quite the little charmer :) that's what I wondered.  There's a particular toy which seems to bring it on a lot sooner than others and she to does not have an offer switch :)

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 23:13:00 PM »
I think it's quite normal especially if they are enjoying the play session.  Robbie never had an off switch when playing with da bird - you could see he was exhausted and really panting but he kept going.  I monitor hid sessions now!

She's gorgeous :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
Bonnie - panting?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 22:29:06 PM »
Hi all

Just a quick post to ask a really silly question but we have noticed that when we play with bonnie and she's running and chasing things she very quickly starts panting.  Why is this? Bruno pants when he gets stressed, usually in his carrier in the car on the way to the vets but we've never noticed any other of our cats do this. Should we be concerned? She's been to the vets twice for her jabs etc and they have listened to her heart and have never mentioned any issues. 

Here are some pictures.  She is now just over 4 months old :)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 22:30:48 PM by NikNakNoo »

Link to CatChat