Author Topic: Cat with red gums- told to feed dry food  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Cat with red gums- told to feed dry food
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
Vets get little to no education about nutrition so unless it's an area they choose to pursue out of interest they often tend to peddle manufacturer's gobblydegook.   best thing for the teeth is raw bones but failing that brushing them (for the brave or foolhardy!).  I go for the soft option of giving a bit of logic gel and plaque off when I remember.  That is young to have problems and may indicate something that may need investigating.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 06:35:54 AM »
Very young to make diagnosis of possible gum problems based on red gums.  Ruby has had red gums ever since she were wee. Unless he is showing signs of discomfort I wouldn't be hugely concerned yet. Odd advice though about dry food  :-:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 22:19:29 PM »
Under a year old!  The vet is an idiot!

I would change vet and get a second opinion cos sounds like the cat may have some probs that need a proper diagnosis.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Cat with red gums- told to feed dry food
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 21:31:35 PM »
Just been chatting to my Mum on the phone and she was telling me about a family friend and her new rescue cat. She's had the cat a few months and when he went for his check up the vet said he had red gums and she should change him to all dry food! My Mum knows this  is not good so hopefully has persuaded her to feed some wet as well. I can't believe in this day and age a vet would be suggesting all dry food. No surprise which type - science plan. What do you guys think would dry food help gum problem? He eats all wet at the moment and is under a year old.

Link to CatChat