Author Topic: I don't want another cat!!!  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: I don't want another cat!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 14:35:54 PM »
LOL @ Souffle  ;D

Hamsters are, indeed very cute. However, 'Undecided' is very against animals in cages. Anyway, that is not what is meant by a 'playmate' for the current cat!  :shocked:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :naughty:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline undecided

• Kitten
  • Slave to: alfie
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 14:02:43 PM »
 :censored:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 11:20:03 AM »
LOL @ Souffle  ;D

Hamsters are, indeed very cute. However, 'Undecided' is very against animals in cages. Anyway, that is not what is meant by a 'playmate' for the current cat!  :shocked:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 07:55:46 AM »
How about a hamster? Hamsters are very cute ;)
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 07:06:05 AM »
Coming on to this site was a bad move on my part.Going on to a tortoise or guinea pig site might have been better. You lot do seem to be quite nice but mad as a bunch of frogs! Any way I surrender and at some point in the future we will get a playmate for Alfie. I shall blame all of you if they don't get on  :Luv:

Ah you see?  ;D  You have the truth of it.  :)

We are, of course, mad as a box of frogs, but it's good that you didn't posit your question on a guinea pig forum instead, because then we wouldn't have been able to help you see how you can be a force for much good in the world, and in particular your wife's world.   :naughty:  She's a fortunate lady to have such a wonderful husband.  ;)

The future comes on fast.   :run:  :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 06:57:49 AM »
Surrender is the only option.  Ultimately it may come down to what you fear most - scratched furniture or a nagging wife  :innocent:   Or a bunch of crazy cat ladies frogs turning up on your doorstep

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 02:50:32 AM »
I am not a frog..................croke croke  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Alfie needs a playmate now not some time in the future.

We all love cats  ;D ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 23:13:11 PM »
I agree with Paula, I'm sure your wife will try to be nice to you - for a while, at least  :briggin:

Offline undecided

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 23:11:25 PM »
Coming on to this site was a bad move on my part.Going on to a tortoise or guinea pig site might have been better. You lot do seem to be quite nice but mad as a bunch of frogs! Any way I surrender and at some point in the future we will get a playmate for Alfie. I shall blame all of you if they don't get on  :Luv:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 23:06:42 PM »
Hi undecided,

I am not to proud to beg, please, please, please get your remaining cat a playmate. It will make your existing cat happier, your Wife happier, it is a win win situation.

She'll probably be really nice to you for a while :naughty:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 22:27:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Misa and Alfie have been cooking up plans between them!  :naughty:

I happen to know that the remaining cat in this household never stopped asking the older one to play, always tried to creep closer to her when they were on the big bed together  :'( That's why a playmate is thought to be a good idea.

So, Undecided, what's it to be? The good people here have demolished several of your arguments. Has that changed your mind, or do your misgivings actually run deeper than that?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 23:14:29 PM by Lyn (Slugsta), Reason: typo »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 22:01:41 PM »
Lovely pics Rosella  ;D ;D

I have a birman catman and all he wants is a playmate cos the other two wont play with him they are much older and my girl cat hates him................well she scares him too  :-:

I cant take on another one and its so sad and wish I had got 2 young cats at the same time...........5 years ago!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
I suspect that your wife would be very happy if you took up the offer!  :shify:

:evillaugh:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »
I suspect that your wife would be very happy if you took up the offer!  :shify:

Offline undecided

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »
I will concede that the cats look happy and contented. I also get the impression the caffia are making me an offer I cannot refuse. ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl:  Exactly.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 10:53:08 AM »
The Caffia??   :briggin:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2:  They're like The Cat Mafia.   :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 10:04:56 AM »
Can't let the "solitary" comment go without some comment so I feel pics coming on  :innocent:  Do this lot look solitary?  ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 09:06:23 AM »
I think we're in danger of doing that frequently, but it's also a myth that "all male cats are solitary" or "female cats won't spray" or "all ginger cats are toms."

Cats in the wild will choose to live in communities, but within the groups they often live very separate and self contained lives.  Just as with people, some cats are gregarious, some are not.  Some cats seek out friendship and companionship, human or feline (or sometimes even canine, avian, and other more diverse species).

That's why, if you did choose to take on another cat or cats, it would be important to try and select one/s where the characters were complementary to, and more likely to blend with, your existing cat.    Alternatively to get two similar in temperament so they'd form playmates for each other, and leave existing cat in blissful solitude (or not, as the senior cat chose). 

Offline undecided

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 08:50:32 AM »
one thing I always thought that male cats were solitary creatures so why would they want a "friend" Are we in danger of attributing human values to a cat?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 00:57:42 AM »
Alfie needs a playmate  :shify: :shify:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 00:35:01 AM »
Is it just your (understandable) fear of having your new furniture destroyed or are there other reasons too?

Not all cats are destructive.  There are no guarantees of course but if you get your cat from a rescue and it hasn't been destructive while in there then it probably won't be so in a home environment.  Some cats are just natural scratchers and there' s little you can do about it and others just  scratch when they're bored or stressed.  Rescues can be stressful for a cat and there's not a lot of stimulation in a rescue pen so one that doesn't scratch it's bedding, the walls or whatever is available, is unlikely to be a scratcher in the home.  This doesn't apply to very  young kittens whose personalities are not fully formed.

My two were about 5 months old when I adopted them and, having spent some time volunteering at the rescue where they came from, I suspected that Bunty might be a scratcher but Biggles probably wouldn't because he never scratched in his pen.  I was semi-right about Bunty.  She's not a wanton scratcher but she will scratch to get attention, the little madam.  I was right about Biggles, he doesn't scratch at all, but there was no way of telling when he was in the rescue that he would turn out to the voracious hunter that he is.     :evillaugh:

That said, I agree with Soufflé that you both need to be in agreement before committing to share your life with another cat.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 23:17:39 PM »
Hi Undecided,

There are measures you can take like getting special tape that will not damage the furniture but cats do not like attacking sticky stuff, curtains, I would just hang old ones for the time being if the new cat proved destructive.

My Hubby is emphatically not a cat person, or a dog person for that matter, he firmly believes that if an animal is not working i.e. a ratter on a farm, a herding animal etc. they shouldn't be given houseroom, but he understands that my cats make me happy and because he loves me he is willing to share his home with the cats. He has put up with a lot, when he moved in I had two cats, one very elderly, due to circumstances I foisted a 3 month old kitten on him, the lady was desperate as she had taken her on not realising she was desperately allergic to cats, she spent three days on drips in hospital so she had to get rid very quickly, then three other cats with problems needed homes, and bless him, he has agreed that I can take them on. The last one he has actually really bonded with. Suddenly OH has a cat!

Please consider making your wife happy, it will make her less stressed and you will probably find your relationship stronger as a result and as Sue has said, if you get a slightly older cat they will be less destructive, diffusers and things to calm. You may even find you have a lap cat!

Sorry this is not the answer you wanted.

Paula xxx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 20:52:24 PM »
Get another cat!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:21:44 PM »
My OH has always loved all animals.  It was what attracted me to him in part.  However, when we originally got together, and we had both dogs and cats, he was really more of a dog person.

When we had to have our last dog PTS following illness, we both grieved equally.  We then lost our 20 year old cat not long after.  I was surprised at how quickly my OH moved to take on another cat, whilst flatly refusing to take on another dog, as he feels now he's too old for another dog and would worry about it if anything happened to him and the dog was left alone for long periods.

It was a decision I understood, even if I didn't wholeheartedly share it.

In the intervening years, he's committed far more to the cats than I could ever have anticipated, and it's delighted me.

But, I'll be frank, and say if he ever decreed he wouldn't take on another cat, I'd be devastated.  I do feel it would damage our relationship, and it's not something I think I could or weather quietly.

I'd make sure he was comfortable in his shed, but that would about it.   ;)

Seriously though, and leaving my ruthless streak aside, if the problems with scratching the furniture could be overcome, what else - if anything - would hold you back from committing to another cat?

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 12:18:05 PM »
I think you need more time to come to terms with the loss of your older cat. In time you may well feel that you have space in your life for another cat and in fact miss cats more than you thought.
I do think all family members need to want a new pet to join and until everyone is ready I would hold off.
Maybe in time adopting an more mature cat which is calm with no history of too much scratching would work out? You also have to think of your other cat and how they might feel about a new kitty.
Give it time I'd say x
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:05:46 PM »
It's always hard when one half of a couple has a passion that the other doesn't share. Compromise is the key - but it's very hard to do in relation to issues like this. After all, you can't exactly have half a cat!  ;D

I guess you feel you have compromised by agreeing to one cat?

Your wife probably feels she has compromised by only asking for two!Which is what the household had for many years.

Do you maybe feel that you are not being heard? Or that your wife puts the cat/s ahead of you?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »
Hi undecided.  It can be really difficult when you share your life with someone who is passionate about cats, and you don't feel quite the same way.  I can fully understand your feelings about damage and destruction - we took on two semi feral kittens last year, who have virtually shredded our things throughout the house.

However,  we've had cats for over 30 years and it's the first time we've had two destructive ones.  :shify:

And there are measures which you can take to minimize the likelihood of that happening.  Extra scratching posts, throws etc, using plug in pheromone diffusers, or calming sprays which aren't harmful to the cat or cats.  A lot will depend on the behaviour of the cat or cats you take on.  You're more likely to be able to gauge the nature of the cat if you get one that isn't an out and out kitten.  You can pick out one - or two - chilled out cats.  A bonded pair are less likely to be hard to integrate with your existing cat.

Much depends too on your relationship with your wife.  I would be heartbroken if my hubby declared we wouldn't get any more cats if anything happened to the ones we have now.  We've lost four in as many years, and admittedly I felt a bit rushed into getting two more, but it was the best thing my OH could've done, to be honest.  He would've found it far harder to live with me, if I hadn't had the focus the new cat companions gave us both.   

If material things have value to you, then it's right that you should be able to talk things over and consider your options - after all, sofas and curtains aren't cheap to replace, and you have a right to be able to voice your worries.   A compromise may be the way forward.

I'd accept the inevitable, fill your wife's heart with happiness,  buy throws for the new sofa, put the new curtains away and replace them with elderly shabby ones, while your new cat/s acclimatize themselves, and sit back to see how much joy your selflessness brings into the world of others.   :Luv: :hug:

Perhaps buy yourself a shed.  I've seen some amazing things done with sheds.   :naughty:

Offline undecided

• Kitten
I don't want another cat!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I'm here almost under false pretences because much as I like cats they are not the be all and end all of my life. We recently lost a cat which was sad but though my wife wants another immediately I don't, if at all. We have one cat left who is quite affectionate in his own way,just not a lap cat.When we had the previous pair of cats who lived to be 19 or so they wrecked the brand new sofa plus in the very early days the curtains as well. Recently we forked out for some more furniture so I can envisage the new cat creating his/her territory.Do i accept the inevitable now or hold out as long as possible?

Link to CatChat