Author Topic: Changing bedding and cleaning carrier between vet visits  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Changing bedding and cleaning carrier between vet visits
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 11:05:59 AM »
Unless there has been an accident, which is rare, I just put a fresh towel in over the pad each time. Live and learn. :-[
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 15:07:03 PM »

I always change the blanket and wipe out the carrier with anti bac wipes

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 21:50:48 PM »
Mine always gets cleaned out as Robbie as lots of "biological accidents"  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 19:32:58 PM »
Neither of mine are worried about going into their basket, Alf used to sleep in his sometimes but I don't think it is so convenient for him now. I only clean them out if there has been a 'biological' accident.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 18:21:00 PM »
I don't do this (unless it's been weed in!) and tbh it never occurred to me. I keep both carriers in the living room with vet bed in the bottom to be used as beds and they do use them.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:16:12 PM »
I use Tesco kitchen spray, as it is the same as Pets at Home and Pethead litter tray spray  - except they are £and the Tesco one is 70p :) - Although Byotrol is meant to be safe around pets, I still rinse and dry.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 10:10:49 AM »
Divvent worry Rosella - Jackson Galaxy says you shouldn't disinfect litter trays too often anyway, as it can discourage cats from using them.   :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »
Last visit for Dinah's booster, she poo'd in carrier.  Afraid that's the only time it got cleaned although I did do all three carriers whilst I was at it.

I used to wash and disinfect litter trays frequently but sadly my life is too occupied with other stuff to find time to be so hygienic now  :-[

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:30:51 AM »
I wash the bedding and spray the carrier with Pet Remedy spray, but only since we got The Gurlies. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 08:17:38 AM »
I've never cleaned mine!  just can't wait to put it away ususally

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 23:42:49 PM »
Shame on you Mark, after all the cats you've had ;)  I did know this and I once said yes to my neighbour to borrowing Smudge's carrier but asked her to wash it after.

It's actually surprising what we learn year after year and feel that we should have known it already.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Changing bedding and cleaning carrier between vet visits
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 22:52:12 PM »
I was at the vet today for Ingrid's booster. I mentioned that I really should change the blanket, but often forget and put the carrier away. The vet (a cat-only vet) said that she always recommends changing bedding and giving the carrier a good wipe over over every visit - nothing to do with hygiene, she said thatcats give off stress pheromones, so the next cat is going to react to to it.

It hadn't occurred to me before.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat