Author Topic: What is it...  (Read 4946 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: What is it...
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 09:06:20 AM »
I didn't  know that, yes, perhaps that is why they are so attracted.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 08:36:48 AM »
Mosi loves playing with carrier bags - he's obsessed with him.  I cut the handles off and always remove them when he's had his play, and never leave them around overnight or when I'm out.  I think I read that animal fat is used in the manufacture of plastic carrier bags ?  which is why they are so attractive to cats (that and the noise!). 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 08:21:06 AM »
You are not a grump. just giving VERY sensible advice, unfortunately your cat has a bad experience with a carrier bag  or know of someone else whos cat has nearly lost its life to a carrier bag you do not realize the implications

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 07:21:39 AM »
 :-[ I try to keep my cats and plastic bags apart. They love playing with crackly paper bags; but I'm scared they'll suffocate with a plastic one. If I let them think that plastic bags are great toys, they'll play with them when I'm not around. So ALWAYS KEEP PLASTIC BAGS OUT OF REACH OF CATS AND CHILDREN.
Sorry to be such a grump.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline catzluva71

• Adult Cat
  • Bo
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 21:03:45 PM »
Bo; modelling the latest in "plastic wear" :sneaky:

And boy! did I get a dirty look when I took the bag away :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Home is where your cat is :)

Offline Mandi

• Adult Cat
  • My Salam and little Willow behind
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 20:58:04 PM »
My 3 are all the same and to see there faces when I take the bags off them..Awwwwwww ...lol
So now I let them play in them for a while but I cut the handles so they cant get caught in them. ;D
Mandi xxxx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 21:55:51 PM »
Oh Jennbear - thanks!  You reminded me of something I'd forgotten.  When we used to go shopping, we'd come home and put all the bags down on the floor.  We always buy prawns for the cats, and Flynn used to rummage around until he found the bag with the prawns in and then he'd climb into the bag.  Feel quite sad - how could I have forgotten about that?   But then I feel happy too, remembering!

Offline Jennbear

• Adult Cat
  • If cats could talk - they would lie to you :)
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 20:27:17 PM »
Tabitha and Tallulah love to be in a plastic carrier bag. I'm frightened they hurt themselves so always supervise (plus I think it's hilarious to watch) If you hold one to them they jump in and and let you carry them around. Don't know whether it's the noise or the feeling but they LOVE IT!! Funny kitties :D

P.S Rebecca your kitten is mega cute!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 20:22:01 PM »
Peewee a long term CP cat has a plastic fettish, nowadays many booklets come through the post with a plactic covering, if he gets there frst it is always chewed to bits.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 20:16:38 PM »
One of my cats has a plastic "fetish." He goes absolutely crazy trying to lick plastic carrier bags, so we have to clear them away pretty quickly!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 16:22:48 PM »
Mogs likes to chew plastic bag handles but I spoil the fun and take them off her as its usually in the night. When I had some flat pack furniture delivered last year I had to leave in the boxes until the next day so I put plastic sheets down to protect the carpet and when I went to bed both cats decided to jump on it, run accross it and fight on it. I couldnt believe the noise they made!
love
Tab

Offline x Beckie x (Buffy)

• Senior Cat
  • x Missy and Pickle x
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 10:58:10 AM »
Its not just plastic bags, bags of all sorts.... Missy used to get into the multipack crisp bag if it was out on the side - i have a pic but cant seem to get it small enought to post without it getting so small you cant see it!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 09:24:26 AM »
It certainly was but another lesson was learnt

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 09:17:46 AM »
OMG Ela that must have been SO scary. Needless to say I confiscated her new toy as soon as I'd got the cute photo...

and LOL Sue, poor Flynn!
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 09:15:37 AM »
My sister had a terrible experience with a cat and a carrier bag, Cookie her cat likes to sleep on the floor of her wardrobe,  she heard a terrible noise and went to investigate, as she did Cookie dashed downstairs almost covered in a carrier bag, she tried to get Cookie but she was in such a panic she was all over the place then dashed through the cat flap. As I live very near my sister she phoned me and we searched the area but could  not see or hear Cookie so I came home and made hundreds of flyers and we immediately started to deliver them. Someone came out and said they though they saw something jump over the wall of a nearby electric sub station we immediately went to try to look but could see nothing so we borrowed a ladder and climbed over (being very careful), still no sign and as we could see places where Cookie could get inside the brick building  my sister called the Electric board who come out. To our embarrassment there was no sign of Cookie. So more posters. a couple of days later I was walking to the shop and saw someone who I have helped through Cats Protection she said they other day I found a cat with a carrier bag wrapped round its leg and neck, I managed to get I of off then it ran away. A few days later Cookie strolled up the garden as if nothing had happened. However it could have been a tragic ending and now I never leave bags where the cats can get them.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:02:03 AM »
heh heh heh - love the pic!

Paddy used to have a thing about an old wine box, which he loved to play in.  When we had our other cat, Flynn, and he was a kitten, he loved to play in it too.  Pad didn't like that.  He didn't like it so much that one night he waited patiently on top of the shelf, and when Flynn was playing merrily in The Box Pad launched himself on top of it.  All we heard was a soft "ooof" as the wind was knocked out of the little 'un.  The box was then roundly kicked, with kitten still inside.

After that Paddy disdained The Box and all concerned with it!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 21:52:01 PM »
They like to check them out in case there are are any treats for them inside.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline kitten (Karen)

• Kitten
  • x Tootsie x
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 21:19:19 PM »
Love your kitty,  which shelf of morrisons did you get that lovely puddy off.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
What is it...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 18:22:30 PM »
About kittens and plastic bags?!  ::)

Well... the board title does say 'behaviour'... :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 20:25:15 PM by (re)beccaviola »
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Link to CatChat