Author Topic: Why has Millie started hating me?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Why has Millie started hating me?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 13:24:47 PM »
Hi Kymberley

Can you give us some more information?  You've had Millie since she was 11.  How old is she now?

What is your daily routine with you and your hubby?  Start from the time you go to bed, through the time you get up in the morning, what you do, when and where.  That might give us some clues to work with.

Has your routine (or your hubby's) changed in any respect in the last few months - apart from Millie spending more time with your hubby I mean?

It's natural you'll feel like that - I would too.   :hug:  I think most of us would.  :-[

Cats are wonderful and complex individuals, and you have to try and think like a cat to get your head round what changes may have taken place which have prompted her to look to your OH more of late.

It may not mean she "hates" you at all, but maybe she's just decided your Hubby is actually in need of a little extra attention, and that you're so good at coping, you'll be fine with that.   Alternatively, maybe you've inadvertently offended or upset her insome way, and now she's making you work hard to find out what's going on.

We had a cat - our gorgeous Tinky - and when his beloved buddy was run over and killed, he couldnt understand why his Ross was gone, and then this upstart of a kitten was introduced into the home.  What was going on?  Wasn't he enough - and anyway, where was his Ross, his best friend in all'a world? 

He would express his displeasure by coming up to me, staring hard at me, and when I went to touch him, he'd move away and, very deliberately, turn his back to me.  He was sad and upset and worried about the changes, so I had to take time to explain things, and to show him he was still my bestest boy.

I had to persevere in the face of his rebuffs to demonstrate to him he was still The Number One, and that we were all sad that Ross had gone, but there was a tiny little kitten, dependent on Tinks to show him all that he could about the world, and we were placing our trust in him, that he would do exactly that.

It didn't take long - about three weeks - for things to settle down again, but sometimes we have to seek our cats out and repeatedly show them we love them, we care for and about them, and to ask them to show us what might be amiss with their world.

We also have to be aware that sometimes, just sometimes, they have an awareness that someone else's need is greater than ours, or that they have a need that can't be met by us alone.  It can hurt, but it doesnt have to be forever.   :hug:

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
  • My beautiful girl is my world :)
  • Slave to: Millie Rose
Why has Millie started hating me?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 07:33:31 AM »
Hi all, so questions above really!! She would always cuddle with me in bed and sit on my knee etc and now just goes to hubby. I'm not talking about once or twice though I'm talking about this happening for the last few weeks, all the time. If I pick her up to cuddle her she doesn't purr anymore and if I put my arm round her in bed it usually lasts about 10 mins if that before she goes back to hubby. I woke up the other morning all happy thinking she was lying next to me (as I could feel warmth) and when I went to stroke her, it was the effing hot water bottle  :'( :( :-[ looked for her on the bed and she was snuggled up inside hubbys arms. Of course I'm happy that she has him to sit with and she's happy, she's been mine since she was 11 and it's hard seeing it. Before anyone says it, yes I know I'm jealous. Course I am, she's my baby girl! But somethings missing here... I dunno if it's a lost bond or connection?

Any advice, I'm in desperate need!

:) xxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:41:00 AM by kymberleyc »
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Link to CatChat