Author Topic: I think Drum has gone deaf  (Read 3940 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: I think Drum has gone deaf
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 13:24:41 PM »
Vet couldn't find anything wrong with her so we have to put it down to old age. It's a relief that it's nothing serious but also a bit sad that it can't be treated.

I wonder if she finds it confusing. It's such a shame we can't explain what's going on to them.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 17:44:16 PM »
My Ginge was deaf for about the final year or so of his life - he was a stray who I kind of adopted, and lived outside as he didn't want to be inside. He coped just fine - but he didn't go far from the garden.  I sometimes just had to go find him to make sure he got his meals as he couldn't hear me calling him!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 17:12:16 PM »
I am sure its just old age but make sure you dont creep up on her and scare her.

It maybe worth having the vet to check her over especially her BP and eyes, Kocka had detaching retinas due to BP and the tabs are mini small and she had just a 1/4 so could mash up in food.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 13:18:31 PM »
No, she's definitely deaf. For ages I couldn't work out why I was making her jump so often - I was convinced she knew I was in the room but obviously she wasn't.

Also, I realised that about four weeks ago she stopped charging downstairs when I got home from work - four weeks ago was when we had the front door fixed (previously it would stick and make a really loud noise when it was opened).

As I said earlier, she doesn't care about the hoover anymore - although she sometimes gives it a funny look!

I just hope it's old age and nothing worrying.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Mom to Eight

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Peanut, Lucky, Cazzy, Mittens, Cowboy, Speedy, Ray, Willie.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 19:25:11 PM »
In my opinion  :briggin:  sometimes  they don't feel like hearing you. You could try opening the cupboard the food see if he hears that....  :wow:
All cats are masterpieces.
My cats that are over the rainbow: Jake, Alice, Ashia, Angel, Julie,Breezy, Meuzette and Babydoll

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 15:21:19 PM »
They can also feel vibrations through the floor so banging on the floor may get Drums attention.

Nothing vet can do about deafness sadly just like with dementia whicj also causes a very noisy cat.

Napoleon convinced the vet he was deaf, no reaction to noises behind him etc and one day instead of shouting Franta at him cos he never reacted to napoleon, I shouted Napoleon and he turned round  :evillaugh:  Not deaf at all just being a birman.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 13:33:21 PM »
 :)  I know what you mean.  As he got older, and after his stroke, Paddy used to come to be picked up often, usually when he wanted feeding, but again I think also it was the reassurance element.  He'd sit in front of me until I picked him up and cuddled him, and spoke to him with the vibration thing.  He hated being picked up until his stroke.  Typical cat. 

Towards the end, I think it was economy of movement for him - and why have staff and walk, when you can have a carry and save old achey bones?  :Luv:

I hope you can get Drum sorted, whatever you discover works for you both.   :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 12:56:44 PM »
That's a nice idea, Sue, not sure how Drum would react but I could give it a go. I'll probably talk rather than sing, though!

I think I'll get her checked over, just to be sure.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 12:40:40 PM »
Paddy went deaf as a result of his stroke, so may be worth just having a check up anyway. 

It didn't phase Paddy too much after the first few weeks, but he yelled too.  :evillaugh: What I used to do, when I spoke to him, or sang his little song (we had a little special song just for him), I would rest my throat against the back of his neck, and he would purr like crazy - I think that he felt the vibrations and responded accordingly.  He found it reassuring, and would visibly melt in my arms.   :Luv:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:37:35 AM »
So, would anyone advise taking her to the vet, or is it something we just have to deal with? If so, any tips?

Slugsta, Drum's been quite tolerant of the hoover lately - I thought she was just a bit more relaxed these days but of course now it makes sense.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 23:06:01 PM »
I used to think Lilli was deaf. But she could hear a tuna tin from miles away!!!!
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 21:21:13 PM »
I think Cleo is quite deaf too, she doesn't turn a hair at the vacuum or even when OH is drilling! I did mention it to the vet but she didn't seem interested. I don't suppose cats can have their ears syringed either  :rofl:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 20:19:27 PM »
I think the super loud yowling is a sign of deafness.  My 21 year old cat has cataracts and very deaf, and yowls loudly too.  Do they do hearing aids for cats?  :evillaugh:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
I think Drum has gone deaf
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 20:14:37 PM »
I've been thinking for a while that Drum's hearing has been deteriorating. She usually comes when I call - bless her! - but now doesn't even turn around, even when I'm rattling the Dreamies bag.

She's always been very vocal but she's been getting louder and seems to have perfected a screech that would make a banshee proud. :Crazy:

Is there anything I could/should do? She's 15 so is this just old age, or is it worth taking her to the vet to see if it's treatable?

Link to CatChat