Author Topic: Growth on Sasas face  (Read 4467 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Growth on Sasas face
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 15:56:37 PM »
Yes mark it has been pronounced to be a cyst but she would need a GA for a biopsy , Sasa is a semi feral.

When Gareth tried to look at it her ears went flat andshe hissed and moved fast.

However she has others coming on chin and current thinking is that you do not do anything to them and if it bursts it will be an emergency and need an op straight away to remove, she is also coming up tp 18 yrs old.

Sjhe was going to have it removed today but after Gareth actually saw it and we discussed again it was decided to leave it, if it grows bigger then this may have to be rethought.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 13:18:38 PM »
Just caught up with this. It looks very similar to something Alice had on her chin. It turned out to be just a cyst. It used to fill again over a matter of weeks and I had to pop and gently squeeze it each time. The needle didn't bother her at all. The vet gave me a supply of fine syringe tops, which were binned after a single use (they come with a plastic cap) - hopefully it is the same thing.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 15:54:11 PM »
Thank you Sue and Lynn

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »
She will forgive you Gill  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 05:34:17 AM »
Gill, sending overloads of love and positive thoughts for you and Sasa xxxx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 23:47:21 PM »
Thank you Heather I hope that will turn out to be the case cos it will be tested but removed at same time vecause of its position and only place she has teeth, all 2 of them!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and tonight she was at top of stairs purring her head off being stroked   ;D ;D ;D

Hope she will forgive me.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 23:43:44 PM »
my old feral cat who is 21 this year had a growth on her chin a few years ago, vet thought it prob was  a cyst but did  a punch biopsy and fluid came out and it nearly vanished. Had fluid sent off and it came back a cyst. She now has another one in the same place and a smaller one on the other side. She is a tabby cat and the cysts are quite smallish and brown. Hope its good news for you and turn out to be cysts as well. :Luv:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 23:44:22 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 20:29:11 PM »
Gill,  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 18:19:15 PM »
Thank you Karen

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 17:30:43 PM »
Thinking of you both :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 17:13:09 PM »
Think you have made the right decision - certainly with them being near the mouth.  When Robbie had his lump removed the vet said they were better off than on.  They never tested it though as opted for a blood screening and all those came back totally normal.

Will be a worry with her nature but they are resilient and she will cope.  :)

:hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 15:39:25 PM »
probably just as well gill  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 15:38:18 PM »
Have spoken to Gareth face to face at vets and after discussing it with him have arranged for Sasa to go in for removal of the lump/lumps next wed but he will check her glands first because if they are cancerous may have spread to glands  :(

He doesnt think it is but really need loads of good vibes for her, she will have dissolvable stitches and am sure she will be on a drip all the time but forgot to ask. Yes even for a test she would have needed a GA so in my opinion no point doing that especially as it has suddenly grown.

She can eat upto 0200 cos will have to stop all cats eating but she can have water.  She goes in at 1130 but suspect she will be left until the end.

You are right Alison its so traumatic and if its that for me it will be worse for her  :(

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 02:41:18 AM »
You have taken some very clear pics Gill for Gareth.

Really feel for you as understand what you are going through :hug:

Think I would be guided by what Gareth says :hug:

The lumps do not look like the skin cancer Parki had which were much more scabby. They do look more like cysts.

I would imagine Sasa is aware of them as near the mouth and that could be why she keeps licking them.

Hope your car can be sorted asap :hug:

Thinking of you both :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 00:16:10 AM »
Thank you Rosella am panicking a bit....................I think both would require a GA and if removal will be the end of it I think I agree.

I need Gareth too get back to me but its the time scale that is a problem for me as go back to AV on Monday week for eyes and its easter at end of that week and then go back again 2 weeks later.

Looking at pics she is either licking it or trying to and in one it could be ouzing but just cant tell. But when I managed to see it clearly on Mon or was it sun it had a dent in the middle and in a human this indicates a cyst cfos had one on my back and was told this.

However dont know if its the same for a cat but do know cysts can burst and wouldnt want it to get infected. It looks like maybe there is another one starting on the otherside but it is just so hard to see cos she wont stay stil land she just wants to be stroked.

If only the car was working I would maybe try and get her there tomorrow but know to catch her once will be OK but to try twice close together will be impossible and she cries and cries and it breaks my heart.

My head is just all done in  :(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 22:59:03 PM »
I think I would take Gareth's advice for next couple of weeks Gill and do nothing but take comparison pics at end of each 7 day period.

If it's growing and on basis that either a fine needle aspiration or removal would involve a GA (?), I would go for removal.

Am so sorry this is happening to your beautiful girl  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 20:27:48 PM »
Thank you everyone

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 20:19:31 PM »
I'd agree with the others. I fine needle aspiration should provide enough cells hopefully to establish what it is and that is not to traumatic. It's a bit like having an injection. If it gets much bigger it will affect her eating. Everything is crossed that it is something innocent. xx  :hug:
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 19:52:55 PM »
After seeing the pics Gill, I agree with what's been said already. I do think it needs further investigation  :hug: :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 19:44:14 PM »
I totally understand that you don't want to upset Sasa with a vet visit. However, I think you are going to continue to worry about this until/unless you know what it is.If it is innocent, all well and good. If not, you will have the facts with which to make an informed decision  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 17:36:10 PM »
Thanks Sue  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 17:29:03 PM »
Gill, just posted on Alison's thread, but having regard to the rate of growth, I think I would lump for the biopsy  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 17:25:33 PM »
Thanks Sue  :hug:

Gareth said the same about the pics.

Geez this is just so worrying and think its growing.

I saw one of Gillian Ambercats cat who had cancer in the same place and it was terrible and by then nothing could be done  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 17:21:05 PM »
Gill, well done with the picture quality.  I appreciate your concerns with regard to Sasa and a vet visit.

personally, having seen the enlarged photos, I think I'd go for the biopsy, but that's just my thoughts.  Others may have more direct experience of lumps like these and be able to offer more pertinent information.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Growth on Sasas face
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 17:15:14 PM »
Sasa is my semi feral and comingb up to 18 yrs old.

I have spoken to my vet and sent him pictures today but his reply after seeing them is very worrying

It looks like a definite growth on the right side of Sasa’s mouth and I agree that it looks like a second may be starting on the other side.  Pigmented growths in this area are most often benign (non-cancerous) masses similar to cysts.  They do not usually cause any pain or problem, the only thing is they can sometimes get quite large.  There is a possibility they are something more nasty like a melanoma but this is hopefully much less likely.  The only way you could tell what they were or treat them would be to put a needle in them to take a sample or surgically remove them.  It depends what you would like to do but given Sasa’s age and the fact that they are not bothering her I would be inclined to leave them alone at present and monitor them.  If you would prefer them sampled or removed that is possible but may be more stressful and obviously a bit more risky, let me know what you think

I have asked him some other questions because she is obviously not getting any younger but is frisky like a 10 yr old.

Asked him what would she look like and how would she heal if removed.

If they were something nasty would removal stop it from spreading and if not removed what would the prognosis be.

When I soke to him he said it may be a hair folicle but seems not.

Pictures at bottom and it does look like a second one is growing and the first one has increased in size in last month and changed colour.

Any thoughts please
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 17:16:21 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Link to CatChat