Author Topic: blood tests  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
Re: blood tests
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 16:04:27 PM »
Perfectly understandable that you’re considering it. I really feel for you. Losing Neko like that will make you worry much more about your others.

When I lost my first cat very suddenly to kidney failure it flattened me and had me almost neurotic about my other two, but it got better with time. I think it’s part of the grieving process.  :hug:

Now, having lost two cats in the last 2 years, who had kidney disease, hyperthyroidism and heart problems between them, it’s made me extra cautious and a bit paranoid.

When I lost Jake to renal failure, I still had Bailey and started having my vet run kidney screens along with bloods for his HT at the same time. But if he hadn’t been getting bloods done anyway, I wouldn’t have put him through it - unless he was showing any symptoms.

I then lost Bailey very suddenly to heart failure in September last year and now I’m extra vigilant (ie. completely paranoid :shy: ) looking for any signs of that in my two 7 month old boys. One of them is completely bonkers when he plays and always pants afterwards. My vet had to reassure me that it wasn’t his heart as that was the first sign with Bailey. But I still find myself fretting.

I think Rosella makes perfect sense, the only one I think I’d even consider in your shoes would be Sparecat, but if his drinking and peeing habits haven’t changed at all, you probably don’t need to. See what your vet says  :hug:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 20:31:57 PM »
He was always an exception to every rule  :Luv:

no need for sorrys- I'm asking because I don't trust my judgement at the moment  :-[

good point...I guess as Neko was always so chilled out at the vets i forget that that isnt generally the case. sparecat has a booster in the next few months so ill ask and see if the vet thinks its worthwhile then.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 14:36:20 PM »
Agree with Rosellas hard hat thinking..............I would leave well alone and relax and enjoy your cats  :hug: :hug:

Poor little Neko was an exception and not the rule.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 13:33:43 PM »
If we start on the basis that cats don't particularly enjoy giving blood samples  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sooooo... no you're not  :Crazy: You've been through a lot.  I've also lost a cat to CRF altho not as young as poor Neko  :hug: :hug:  Putting my hard head on I'd say;

Sparecat aged 10 - drinks and pees plenty had bloods done and OK but years ago.  Yeh maybe an argument could be had to have bloods checked but only to put your mind at rest really and would try and link it up with next booster visit rather than making a special trip to vet unless he loves going to the vet that is  ;)  Virtually certain to be OK if not showing any other symptoms.  At the very least you will get a baseline for what his purrsonal tests are for comparison later if necessary.

Louey aged 10, looks on top form and had bloods done only 8 months back so no; can't see a case could be made for putting him through it again so soon.

Saph aged 8, no symptoms and no previous blood test.  Any test he has is solely for your benefit so no I don't think so ... sorry  :hug: :hug:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 13:34:56 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 13:21:44 PM »
if it were me I'd leave it alone, unless something changed of course, but at the end of the day you have to do what makes you feel better

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
blood tests
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 12:37:39 PM »
I'm not sure whether I'm thinking rationally about this so would appreciate some thoughts!

After all that has happened with Neko,I'm hyper alert to CKD andnow that my little monster isn't taking up so much mind space and attention I'm reviewing our other cats more and thinking worrying about them. Sparecat and louey are around 10 years old, saph is 8 (neko was 6) so they are getting into middle age. Louey looks in top form and had full bloods 8 months ago when he had a tooth removed. Sparecat has always drunk a lot and produced a lot of wee and have therefore had kidney screens done but years ago. Saph has never had any bloods done and has only been with me 2 years but doesn't seem to drink excessively.

I'm thinking of asking for bloods and urinalysis to be done to keep an eye on their kidneys. Particularly sparecat. Am I over reacting? There's no reason to think they are unwell but I worry that while we've been watching neko we may have missed something.

We are also about to donate a lot of renal food and sods law one will be diagnosed after we do. I don't care about replacing the food but i feel like we can beat sods law if we test?

There's a good chance I'm  :Crazy: but I might need to be told that!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 13:23:50 PM by snarf »

Link to CatChat