Author Topic: Food Allergies  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 19:37:54 PM »
Have you considered a proper elimination diet to find out what she is allergic to? Hypoallergenic foods are simply free from common allergens but your cat may still have problems with the ingredients. Veterinary diets tend to contain hydrolysed protein which makes them better tolerated but I wouldn't be happy feeding them long term. I am about to embark on an elimination diet (single protein meats) with Mosi to see whether it flags up anything. He has soft poos and occasional diarrhoea plus has been diagnosed with an eosinophilic granuloma (underlying cause unknown)

Offline Lizzie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 20:53:37 PM »
Thanks for your advice.  Poppy is lucky that she does not suffer vomiting/diarrhoea with the intolerance, just the terrible itching/scratching and she is not a fussy eater so happy to eat what is given to her although after being on the Purina HA for 3 months for elimination purposes, is beginning to get fed up of it.

I have tried the Purina Sensitive (she loved this) and James Wellbeloved wet (loved the gravy, ate the meat eventually).  Also tried Lily's Kitchen, which she loved (but what a smell it has, lol)!  All these seem to agree with her and no frantic itch/over scratching noticed so I'm hoping I can stick with those for a change for her.

Mark, interesting re Domino being offered full allergy testing, seems very expensive and good to know that you solved the issue without going down this route and expense. 

Thanks again. :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
I never had much luck with hypoallergenic food. The problem is, knowing what a cat is intolerant of/allergic to. There are are a few possibilities, but often, just feeding a food that doesn't contain wheat often does the trick. Obviously there are other possibilities. You could try James Wellbeloved, but it still may contain something that causes a reaction. Apparently, with hypoallergenci food, any meat is processed so much that it can't be recognised in the body as any particular type of protein.

So basically, an elimination diet is best, but can be a long haul - but if you do find out what is causing the problem and just eliminate that from the diet, there are a lot more food options available.

With Alice (No longer with us) she had terrible, bloody diarrhea. After countless vet trips and her refusing to eat various brands of hypoallergenic food (RC, Hill's, Purina etc) I decided to start eliminating various things in her diet. I started with wheat and just fed her Purina One sensitive and cereal-free wet food (bog standard Felix senior) almost overnight she got better. She was still having the odd episode and then I realised that she was also having issues with anything that contained dairy. It wasn't the lactose, it was milk proteins - so even a lick of cream or butter (she loved both) would start her off.

Just one more thing, more recently, we adopted a stray (Domino) and he has some skin issues. After a couple of tests, the vet suggested doing full allergy testing. He said it was around £500, but it would tell us exactly what was causing the problem. He told me that insurance would probably cover it, but at that stage, We hadn't got round to insuring him. I switched him to Purina one sensitive and cereal-free and his skin cleared up. He still has patches of dry skin on his back, but I think that is more down to him being a big cat and not being able to groom properly - the red, sore patches have all gone.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:43:40 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 23:24:31 PM »
James Wellbeloved do hypo allergenic food. Our cats love the biscuits but they also do wet food.

http://www.wellbeloved.com

Offline Lizzie

• Adult Cat
Food Allergies
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 19:49:29 PM »
Hi, anyone got experience of coping with a cat with food allergies?  I'm struggling a wee bit with ours, currently on Purina HA on vet's advice, which Poppy is starting to turn her nose up at.  She's weaned off steroids now but the itch/scratch cycle is starting up again and further bald bits appearing :(

Anyone know of or can recommend a similar type of hyper allergenic wet food that I could perhaps feed her from time to time?  Or should I stick rigidly with the Purina HA, even though some days she just wont eat it (but acts like a starved animal just to make me feel bad)!  She used to love it but has appears to have went off it and does her best to steal any other offerings if she can.

Are food allergies/intolerances a life long condition?

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks.

Link to CatChat