Author Topic: Radio Iodine Therapy for cats  (Read 30771 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Radio Iodine Therapy for cats
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2016, 23:24:14 PM »
Hope with all my heart that her appetite improves quickly heather  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2016, 22:53:28 PM »
Not too good at the moment Silvie didnt eat anything yesterday or this morning so they are going to give her a pill to kick start her appetite again. Really not like her at all she loves her food. Hopefully will hear back from vets tomorrow and she will be eating again :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 20:32:26 PM »
Silvie had the injection today and is now in the special "radioactive" unit, apparently she recovered very well and only needed slight sedation. I did ask what her thyroid test results were as last year they were really high at 250, and they said that Monday's results were 499.98 :wow: I am hoping they raised that high as she had been off the Vidalta tablets for a week. Apart from that they said she has settled in okay and still eating and drinking. Will find out more tomorrow.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 06:42:31 AM »
Sound advice Mark.  I could do with remembering that from time to time, too.    :hug:

So, has everyone driven past or been stuck outside Mark's house en route to the vet's then?   :-: :evillaugh:

Lots of positive thoughts for Silvie. 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 01:33:50 AM »
Her 2nd night by the time you read this. One thing I try to remember is someone once said that we have to remember that cats don't think in the same way we do. They don't think yesterday, tomorrow etc. - just the moment. As long as they are comfortable now, they are OK.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 15:57:04 PM »
Ha ha  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
he is a bit like that, I remember being stuck in a traffic jam outside, what turned out to be, Mark's house once!!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 10:17:34 AM »
Sounds like the worst part is over - although I know you will miss her. Worth it in the long-run though.

I live in Whitstable - next door to the vets  :evillaugh: (although not for much longer as they are moving)

We went out for coffee in Harbour Street this afternoon and headed back when it rained about 4pm

We may have walked past you, we were by the harbour around 3pm ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 23:13:37 PM »
Sounds like the worst part is over - although I know you will miss her. Worth it in the long-run though.

I live in Whitstable - next door to the vets  :evillaugh: (although not for much longer as they are moving)

We went out for coffee in Harbour Street this afternoon and headed back when it rained about 4pm

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 21:25:08 PM »
Well we made it there ok but murder traffic wise so we did lots of back streets to get on the motorway. Poor Silvie got a bit stressed and threw up her breakfast but once we got on the M20 she settled down, had a few panting episodes but then calmed down. Got to vets in good time, had a long consultation with Dan the vet, then we saw the vet nurse and she booked her in, lots of paperwork to complete and questions to ask but Silvie was purring when I left her. So fingers crossed the treatment on Wednesday works and cures her. Missing her already though :( But had a nice walk round Canterbury had some lunch, then we drove to Whitstable and had a walk round there and had to drop into a pub when the rain was too heavy :sneaky: She will be in for 2-4 weeks and I will get updates 3 times a week. I know I am going to ring in the morning though to make sure she has settled and is eating okay ;D
Lovely staff at Barton vets, they let us leave our car in the car park, and gave us a map of the city centre so we could find our way around.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 21:26:31 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 14:41:53 PM »
Good luck!!  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 12:12:08 PM »
Sending every good vibe I can muster  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 05:41:56 AM »
Good luck Heather, and safe journey xxx

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 23:28:50 PM »
Thank you :Luv: Yes my friend Denise is driving me there, I can't do long journeys at the mo as I had a car crash in January and waiting an op on my shoulder >:( >:( but once Silvie is dropped off we are off to the city to explore  ;D will make a day of it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 21:31:41 PM »
Good luck. I know it will be horrible for you being away from her, but I'm sure she will be fine. I have only been there a couple of times, when Kylie was referred for an eye problem. The staff were really nice. She had an accident in her tray and they dealt with it with a smile. The eye vet there is the wife of one of my current vets. She diagnosed Kylie's eye problem (keratoconjunctititis) in 5 minutes. my old vet couldn't figure out what it was and gave her all kinds of unnecessary ABs over a period of 6 months before I went there.

Good luck  ;D - PS - you must have a look round the city while you are there - my stomping ground  :evillaugh:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 19:34:39 PM »
Me & Silvie are off tomorrow morning to Barton Vets in Canterbury got appt at 11.45pm and then she will stay in and have the injection Wednesday :( Will keep you all posted :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 07:27:39 AM »
Am hoping that everything goes perfectly, and then the whole thing can be put behind you.  Sylvie's a real star!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 22:25:51 PM »
I'm dreading her going away but its for the best, they say its at 97% cure, so fingers crossed. Will update on here when she goes :Luv:

https://www.facebook.com/theanimalclinic1/photos/a.122375617931019.25574.111169302384984/581970825304827/?type=3&theater

here is a pic of her at the vets this week.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 22:26:57 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 16:46:06 PM »
I'm glad that this will soon be over, I hope Sylvie responds really well to the treatment!  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 07:47:33 AM »
Fabulous news  :wow: Am sure it will be hell without Sylvie but this is so worth it by all accounts  :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 23:22:13 PM »
Silvie went in to our usual vets Monday for her x-rays, urine and blood tests. They tested everything from top to tail, as well as FIV and FLV tests and did chest x-ray and abdominal xrays.   Bill came to just over £500 : :shocked: Its just that after she has the injection if she has any underlying problems because she will be radioactive they won't be able to treat her which would be very bad news. Luckily all tests came back okay and results have been faxed through to Barton Vets in Canterbury. So all being well she is off on her travels on the 23rd May for her treatment.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 23:23:29 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 00:14:25 AM »
Got Silvie's appointment now for 23rd May. She has to stay in for 3-4 weeks,going to be horrible without her at home, but best for her in long run if it cure's her! She also has to be microchipped before she goes, as they told me they have lots of similar cats and don't want to end up giving us the wrong cat back! :naughty: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 22:17:06 PM »
Silvie has now been referred to Barton Vets in Canterbury for the injection, hoping to get an appointment in May all being well. Will keep you all posted :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 01:20:10 AM »
I think it only works out cheeper for larger quanties

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 23:20:26 PM »
I keep meaning to ask my vet about getting a prescription, thanks for reminding me, I am sure it will work out cheaper :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »
Heather, yousaid your other cat costs around £100 a month for HT meds. Have you thought about getting a prescription? - I wouldn't do it for one-off meds, but with Lazarus, I used to get a prescription that cost around £10, which covered him for 6 months. For some reason I didn't do it with his Felimazole or Semintra, but Lazarus was on hormone nose drops for Diabetes Insipidus. The 2.5ml bottles (50 doses, so lasted 25 days) cost £41 each from the vet, but I paid about £75 for 6 bottles online. He was also on Destolit and BP meds, but they were cheap so I just got them from the vet.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:17:42 AM by Mark »

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 22:45:04 PM »
Being a medical secretary I always ask for copies of their blood test results, as I like to keep a record of them. Tabby who is 21 this year is far too old and doddery to have surgery so she is on the meds for life. Silvie is a home loving cat, she was a rescue feral cat but now soft as anything, she went to a cattery for a week a few years ago and was ok, she ate her food and though she was a bit nervous when she came home, soon settled. I hate the thought of her being away but I want whats best for her. Will be back to see her vet in a few weeks to make a decision. Thanks for all the helpful advice! Will keep you infomed  :Luv:

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
Radio Iodine Therapy for cats
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 18:53:02 PM »
You're right Rosella, HyperT masks kidney problems & helps damaged kidneys function better.
That's why they need to have stable T4 levels on meds for a period of time, then kidneys checked to make sure they're healthy before RadioIodine can be used.

Jake had both, we only found the kidney disease when his T4 came down and the balancing act of trying to treat the HT without his kidneys failing was just awful.

Sounds like you're in a similar situation with your other cat Heather, we were treating both with meds.

But HT is really bad for their hearts too, it puts a huge strain on them & causes lasting damage, which is how I lost my boy.

The biggest problem is that HT keeps progressing on meds & the tumour just keeps growing. So it's a cycle of tweaking meds & ongoing blood tests

Bailey's stable periods got shorter & shorter and his dosage higher and higher. Wee soul spent most of his last year with a bald spot on his throat from all the blood tests.

I learned everything I could & knew the details of his T4 levels every single time, but there's only so much you can do with meds.

The surgery can work, but it often returns and if the tumours grown downwards it's impossible to get it all.

If I had an otherwise healthy cat who could cope with being away, I wouldn't hesitate to get the treatment. HT is a horrible illness and this is a cure. And the isolation time is reducing in a lot of places. Frustrating how we're way behind the US who only keep cats for a few days!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 23:07:34 PM »
My other cat who is not insured costs me around £100 a month on thyroid pills, kidney pills, as it has affected her kidneys and regular blood tests.

As I understood it, HyperT can assist kidney function  :shy:  :hug:  I do however know that the Radio Iodine therapy is not offered to cats with CRF as we looked into it for our darling angel Fred.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 23:03:06 PM »
The cost of meds aren't usually the issue; it's the cost, inconvenience and unpleasantness of the ongoing blood tests that more of an issue. 

TBH from what I've read, if a cat is young enough and otherwise healthy enough, I would always seriously consider Radio Iodine Therapy :shy:  Older cats with other health issues could well be more suitable to the surgical route.

Wouldn't it be fab to be able to ask Sylvie what she would prefer eh? but just gotta give it your best guess as you know her best  :hug:

My only reservation is the degree of the diagnosis of hyperthyroid.  Our Tom was diagnosed as HT but when I looked into it, he was very much borderline so I would ask for sight of blood results unless you trust the vet concerned. 

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 22:16:41 PM »
Silvie is insured but only covered for a year per medical problem (which I didn't realise). If she has the surgery, its possible the problem could come back again within 3 months to a few years, and by then she won't be covered by insurance. If it came back she would need surgery again (£800-1500) or meds for life. My other cat who is not insured costs me around £100 a month on thyroid pills, kidney pills, as it has affected her kidneys and regular blood tests. A big decision really, but I have a few weeks to decide what to do. Thank you :)

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 18:48:41 PM »

Holly had an overactive thyroid. She started on meds but they didn't work for long. She had the op to remove her thyroid and she was fine afterwards, she was 17 at the time and lived until she was 21 and a half.
The radio Iodine treatment is very expensive, Over £3000, and stressful for the cat. The cat is put in isolation for 2 weeks as it is radioactive.
I would recommend the operation

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 22:55:33 PM »
Thanks Mark thats great  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 22:35:21 PM »
Barton vets is near me. I think Sharon (who used to post as Canterbury Cats) has a niece who works at Barton Vets. It might be worth checking, but I have a feeling the RVC has a shorter time - 2 weeks compared to 3 at Canterbury if I remember rightly. a long time since I looked into it.

We considered doing it for Lazarus, but my vet said he didn't think laz was the type of cat that would do well away from home for so long + he hadother health issues.

Kylie was there for her eyes a few years back. My old vet spent 8 months trying to treat 'an eye infection' - eventually I asked for a referral to Barton's in Canterbury. It took Vanessa about 5 minutes to diagnose that she had Keratomconjuntivitis. We controlled it for about 18months, but it went away (there is a chance it could come back) but she could have gone blind if it hadn't been diagnosed.

Edit - I just checked - yes 2 weeks at RVC as long as you can keep the cat isolated at home for another 2 weeks http://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals/advanced-techniques-and-specialist-procedures/radioactive-iodine-i131-therapy

Up to 4 at Barton http://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals/advanced-techniques-and-specialist-procedures/radioactive-iodine-i131-therapy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 23:26:30 PM by Mark »

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 21:53:30 PM »
Brilliant, thanks very much. Will find the fb page. Yorkshire is a long way from SE London but the 5 day stay sounds wonderful. Will have a little read up about them.  :Luv:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 16:17:54 PM »
Sorry to hear about Sylvie. I looked into this for my cat Bailey in a lot of detail. If your insurance will cover it it’s definitely the best option.
In the end, Bailey wasn’t a candidate as he also had a heart condition and they won’t do it with other health conditions due to not being able to treat them if anything else were to go wrong while they are in isolation. The places we considered all do a full health screening first  to ensure they are fit to go through the treatment.

As in the post below, kidney disease is also something they need to check for first as well, so her kidneys would need to be checked once she was stable on meds too.

Bailey was diagnosed at 11 and did well on felimazole until I lost him a few months ago to heart failure at 15. But if I ever had another cat with this disease, The RI treatment would be a serious consideration. But like you, the worry of them being away for so long was a big thing for me.

One of the places I encountered through my research was the Hyperthyroid cat centre who get amazing feedback from people who’ve had their cats treated there. They have the stay time down to a possible 5 day stay if everything goes well. It’s in West Yorkshire though so it’s a distance away. I considered it with Bailey because I thought the journey might be worth (I’m in Scotland) it as my nearest place meant 3 weeks in isolation for a clingy cat who had never been away from home. The vet who runs it, Andrew Bodey was incredibly helpful and phoned me a few times to answer my many questions.

There are other threads on here which cover this, some of them started by me, if you do a search and Kay definitely had it done as she gave me lots of information when I was looking into it.

It’s the gold standard treatment and is a cure for the majority of cats. Those who it doesn’t work with first time around sometimes need a second treatment but they seem to be the minority. If you’re on facebook, there’s a really good group – hyperthyroid cats which I found helpful too.

Good luck with Sylvie, I had two boys who were HyperT, so I know what a worry it is  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 18:04:41 PM »
TRy this thread or others in the section cos Kays cat had iodine trearment

Health & Behaviour General / Re: Possible Vidalta side-effects?
« on: September 28, 2013, 14:49:44 PM »
it was my Trigger, Louise - I took him to a centre in Wootten-under-Bassett, which was cheaper than Bristol, and the same distance to travel - their isolation period was 14 days, plus two days of tests - it is the hospital stay which bumps up the bill - it cost me £1500, and that was a year ago

because HyperT can give some support to dodgy kidneys, the centres have to be satisfied there is no other underlying disease, so the kidney levels have to be monitored for around 6 weeks while the cat has either Vidalta or Felimazole - if you can find a better vet, Jen, the necessary blood tests should be carried out, and her overall health carefully assessed, whilst bringing down her HT - do you know what the level was?

do make sure you are copied with all blood test results, as it will enable you to use the internet to carry out your own research

my Trigger was fine during his 6 weeks on Felimazole, had no effects from his 14 days of enforced isolation, put up with two 3 hour journeys to get to Wootten and back, and actually came home a little heavier than he went - so all in all it was well worth it for him and me - he was 11 at the time so had a good few years ahead of him, which does make a difference when weighing up the options

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 17:47:53 PM »
Yes I think so. I will see if I can find the posts, thanks

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 17:19:58 PM »
Wasn't it Kay & 3ts???
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 15:13:39 PM »
I think that someone has................trying to remember Purrs name and cant.

Think it was successful

Link to CatChat